2019/2020 Pre-Season

Noeller

6 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Vesa, Stanley, Spacek, Chibisov and Schilling, sent down to the Moose.

One or 2 people who might be surprised about Vesa or Chibisov. Not me.

Updated Roster

D

Tucker Poolman
Neal Pionk
Nelson Nogier
Sami Niku

Josh Morrissey
Dmitry Kulikov
Nathan Beaulieu

Anthony Bitetto
Ville Heinola

F

Blake Wheeler
Nikolaj Ehlers
Mark Scheifele

Patrik Laine

Mathieu Perreault
Jack Roslovic
Bryan Little

Andrew Copp
Adam Lowry

Mason Appleton
Gabriel Bourque
Mark Letestu

JC Lipon
C.J. Suess
David Gustafsson
Joona Luoto

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I haven't watched the pre-season too closely but have a couple general thoughts.

Even with Connor and Laine I think the Jets are in a lot of trouble for the next couple years waiting for young D to emerge.  Personally I would let Heinola head back to Finland as to not waste 1-2 years of his ELC.  He's probably one of the top 6 D in camp but not worth losing him at 25-26 for his 18 year-old season. 

I think out of necessity next off-season they'll have to make a big move to balance their roster, likely a trade of Connor or Ehlers, hopefully Connor's stock stays up and Ehlers rebounds.

Chevy's lack of being proactive has really caught up to this organization.  Great drafts but the management of players into their mid-20's and beyond has been crap and the Jets have lost a lot of talent while also burying the organization under some sizable cap hits to some diminishing assets.  Trouba is the most glaring example, either had to go for broke in 17-18, 18-19 and really load up or deal Trouba when he still had 2-3 years of control left to get a good return, it was quite obvious from the 2016 holdout that Trouba would not give any UFA years to the Jets.  The Atlanta core was exiting their prime and the young guys were still a couple years away from it so needed some guys who could play bigger roles to bridge that gap, and they had the cap space to do it.  A guy like Duchene would have been a perfect target to make a move on a couple summers ago, O'Reilly another.  Jets had the assets to do it, and spent them on 40 games of Stastny/Hayes.  Playing straight down the middle all the time and waiting until you absolutely have to make a move is not a strategy for winning the whole enchilada.  

IMO the window is currently closed and it's going to take at least a few big leaps/surprises to reopen it.  Have some stars but really mediocre on the whole.  Expecting a lot of ping-pong balls with the Jets numbers in the next lottery.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Chevy's lack of being proactive has really caught up to this organization.  Great drafts but the management of players into their mid-20's and beyond has been crap and the Jets have lost a lot of talent while also burying the organization under some sizable cap hits to some diminishing assets.  Trouba is the most glaring example, either had to go for broke in 17-18, 18-19 and really load up or deal Trouba when he still had 2-3 years of control left to get a good return, it was quite obvious from the 2016 holdout that Trouba would not give any UFA years to the Jets.  The Atlanta core was exiting their prime and the young guys were still a couple years away from it so needed some guys who could play bigger roles to bridge that gap, and they had the cap space to do it.  A guy like Duchene would have been a perfect target to make a move on a couple summers ago, O'Reilly another.  Jets had the assets to do it, and spent them on 40 games of Stastny/Hayes.  Playing straight down the middle all the time and waiting until you absolutely have to make a move is not a strategy for winning the whole enchilada.  

Funny, cause Sheif, Ehlers and Morrissey have all been handled excellently. 

He held onto Trouba the right amount of time, through a very narrow contender window. I wouldn't want him to have handled it any other way. 

The landscape for RFAs has completely flipped in the past couple of years. Desperate GMs hand the world to the RFAs, despite not needing to. Jets have a plan. It's worked so far. 

Laine and Connor will sign. It's just a matter of short or long term. 

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I haven't watched the pre-season too closely but have a couple general thoughts.

Even with Connor and Laine I think the Jets are in a lot of trouble for the next couple years waiting for young D to emerge.  Personally I would let Heinola head back to Finland as to not waste 1-2 years of his ELC.  He's probably one of the top 6 D in camp but not worth losing him at 25-26 for his 18 year-old season. 

I think out of necessity next off-season they'll have to make a big move to balance their roster, likely a trade of Connor or Ehlers, hopefully Connor's stock stays up and Ehlers rebounds.

IMO the window is currently closed and it's going to take at least a few big leaps/surprises to reopen it.  Have some stars but really mediocre on the whole.  Expecting a lot of ping-pong balls with the Jets numbers in the next lottery.

If the window is closing, Jets will be forced to play Heinola and hope he emerges - there's no one else to call up... 'losing' him at 25-26 has already been shown that its a moot point, if he's good, he will already be signed long-term by age 21-22 or on a bridge deal where you risk losing him anyway...

This team D is in real trouble - Kulikov will not last a full season and kind of sucks...  Stanley is who we all thought he was...  everyone else starting in the AHL are career AHLers

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Funny, cause Sheif, Ehlers and Morrissey have all been handled excellently. 

He held onto Trouba the right amount of time, through a very narrow contender window. I wouldn't want him to have handled it any other way. 

The landscape for RFAs has completely flipped in the past couple of years. Desperate GMs hand the world to the RFAs, despite not needing to. Jets have a plan. It's worked so far. 

Laine and Connor will sign. It's just a matter of short or long term. 

Their contracts have been handled well but I don't see Ehlers making a lot of progress the past couple seasons.  Coaching is an issue too.

The RFA issue is real but that also requires making critical decisions proactively in terms of cap space.  There are opportunity costs to bad contracts beyond the dollars in those contracts under a hard cap and guaranteed contracts.  The Jets have too many of those deals for guys that are not core players or are fading from that, Perreault, Kulikov especially are killers for what they can consistently provide.

The decision to hold Trouba to his last RFA year should have seen some bolstering of the roster to give the Jets the depth to be true contenders, I guess is my main point.  And that had to be done through trade because the UFA market is garbage in terms of value.  2016 was a fork in the road, deal Trouba or make sure the window is wide open while a bunch of talented guys are cheap on ELC's or first RFA deals before they have arb rights.

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If the window is closing, Jets will be forced to play Heinola and hope he emerges - there's no one else to call up... 'losing' him at 25-26 has already been shown that its a moot point, if he's good, he will already be signed long-term by age 21-22 or on a bridge deal where you risk losing him anyway...

This team D is in real trouble - Kulikov will not last a full season and kind of sucks...  Stanley is who we all thought he was...  everyone else starting in the AHL are career AHLers

I think if they want the window open again with the young core they should protect their prospects and let this current roster skid across the runway right into a couple top 10-15 picks to bolster that young core.