Around The NHL 2019/2020

Read Ian Mendes article entitled  'One more awful season is exactly what the Sens need'.

Really frustrating to read for me and made me yell at the clouds. He argues Sens need that 1st pick for their final piece of rebuild.  I get the logic somewhat but getting first round draft picks doesn't guarantee anything, see Edmonton Oilers. Not to mention if you seriously are setting up/hoping your team to lose to get that pick, then the common fan (which in today's hockey economy mean less and less other than being marketed) needs to be reimbursed as they are paying for NHL caliber not AHL caliber.

So why don't they just default every game and secure the most lottery balls. Sheesh. 

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Read Ian Mendes article entitled  'One more awful season is exactly what the Sens need'.

Really frustrating to read for me and made me yell at the clouds. He argues Sens need that 1st pick for their final piece of rebuild.  I get the logic somewhat but getting first round draft picks doesn't guarantee anything, see Edmonton Oilers. Not to mention if you seriously are setting up/hoping your team to lose to get that pick, then the common fan (which in today's hockey economy mean less and less other than being marketed) needs to be reimbursed as they are paying for NHL caliber not AHL caliber.

So why don't they just default every game and secure the most lottery balls. Sheesh. 

I don't get the argument either. Looking back over the past 20 years of first overalls, I see 5 with Stanley Cup rings? Fleury, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane and Stamkos. Unless I'm missing someone? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_NHL_draft_picks

I see more duds on the list. 

Picking high helps but getting that first overall is too random. They have a good team coming up, they just need some patience and luck. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I don't get the argument either. Looking back over the past 20 years of first overalls, I see 5 with Stanley Cup rings? Fleury, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane and Stamkos. Unless I'm missing someone? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_NHL_draft_picks

I see more duds on the list. 

Picking high helps but getting that first overall is too random. They have a good team coming up, they just need some patience and luck. 

For the patience part all I ask as a fan is how it's said.

'We want to win now, we want to win the Stanley Cup and we are always looking at player additions/development for us to achieve that' versus 'We are in rebuild, doesn't happen overnight, it's very complicated you wouldn't understand be patient good things to come'.

I like the first approach much more, the mindset gets me jacked then then patronizing tone of the second approach that gives me no confidence.  

18 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Really frustrating to read for me and made me yell at the clouds. He argues Sens need that 1st pick for their final piece of rebuild.  I get the logic somewhat but getting first round draft picks doesn't guarantee anything, see Edmonton Oilers.

Doesn't guarantee anything, but it really hopes if your gm picks wisely. Blackhawks and Pens are two great examples. Reilly, Marner, & Matthews are all top five picks for the Leafs, and they're a legit contender. Avalanche are built around high draft picks, etc.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Doesn't guarantee anything, but it really hopes if your gm picks wisely. Blackhawks and Pens are two great examples. Reilly, Marner, & Matthews are all top five picks for the Leafs, and they're a legit contender. Avalanche are built around high draft picks, etc.

Yup but it's a loser mentality (i.e., best thing to happen would be to finish last) for future gain the way it was written. Not my cup of tea when it comes to living in the moment in competitive sport. 

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup but it's a loser mentality (i.e., best thing to happen would be to finish last) for future gain the way it was written. Not my cup of tea when it comes to living in the moment in competitive sport. 

It definitely sucks for the fanbase when a team does that. Pittsburgh nearly lost their franchise both times they tanked for a superstar. Luckily for them it worked out as the best case scenario both times.