Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

13 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Pretty much says it all that you're on a witch hunt with a manufactured crisis

You’ve yet to make a single point that suggests you know anything about football. Tell me again, what do you think are Nichol’s strengths as a passer? And is a 46% completion percentage with 157 yards in a losing effort in the playoffs an acceptable result for you?

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

You’ve yet to make a single point that suggests you know anything about football. Tell me again, what do you think are Nichol’s strengths as a passer? And is a 46% completion percentage with 157 yards in a losing effort in the playoffs an acceptable result for you?

Well I could name about 6 other QBs who got their passing games taken away by that Stampeder defense, so that's a fabricated complaint anyway.  And as 17to85 mentioned, Lapolice got outschemed so it's his fault.

OWNED AGAIN!

5 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well I could name about 6 other QBs who got their passing games taken away by that Stampeder defense, so that's a fabricated complaint anyway.  And as 17to85 mentioned, Lapolice got outschemed so it's his fault.

OWNED AGAIN!

Answer the question, pal. What are Nichols’ strengths as a passer?

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Touchdown passes... 0: Unimpressive stats of Tom Brady while winning the most recent superbowl

Passing 253  
Comp-Att 21-35  
Yards per pass 7.0  
Interceptions thrown 1  
Sacks-Yards Lost 1  

And tell me what Goff’s numbers were in comparison? Brady also has 5 other championships he can hang his hat on. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

Answer the question, pal. What are Nichols’ strengths as a passer?

Quick release, knows how to pump fake, guns it in quick when he knows the man comes open, and ...

I'm not going to listen to any more fools talk about not liking him sliding.  I've seen enough QBs who don't and their careers get cut short.  Nichols obviously hasn't been completely injury free, but no CFL QB ever is.  But I would say he's been the healthiest QB whose missed some of the fewest games in recent Bomber history.  Less so than Buck Pierce and Drew Willy anyway.

You know I really don't feel like responding to blind bats who will just blow all of this off anyway, but there ... For anyone who is actually serious about grading QBs.

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Quick release, knows how to pump fake, guns it in quick when he knows the man comes open, and ...

I'm not going to listen to any more fools talk about not liking him sliding.  I've seen enough QBs who don't and their careers get cut short.  Nichols obviously hasn't been completely injury free, but no CFL QB ever is.  But I would say he's been the healthiest QB whose missed some of the fewest games in recent Bomber history.  Less so than Buck Pierce and Drew Willy anyway.

You know I really don't feel like responding to blind bats who will just blow all of this off anyway, but there ... For anyone who is actually serious about grading QBs.

I have no problem with his sliding. But it’s abundantly clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. He holds on to the ball FOREVER good QBs don’t wait for their man to become open, that’s how you end up standing in the pocket and getting drilled. You’re just using buzzwords that you clearly don’t know what they mean. It’s laughable. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I have no problem with his sliding. But it’s abundantly clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. He holds on to the ball FOREVER good QBs don’t wait for their man to become open, that’s how you end up standing in the pocket and getting drilled. You’re just using buzzwords that you clearly don’t know what they mean. It’s laughable. 

You are as blind as a bat and obviously cherry pick plays to keep up with your manufactured crisis.  Well at least enough sane posters here can see your out to lunch on this witch hunt that has nothing but alternate reality behind it.

Nuff said.

37 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I don't think that Nichols' performance against the Stamps in the playoffs is a valid assessment. He was dealing with an injury that limited him. However, he has enough Mulligans and its time for him to put up or shut up.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I don't think that Nichols' performance against the Stamps in the playoffs is a valid assessment. He was dealing with an injury that limited him. However, he has enough Mulligans and its time for him to put up or shut up.

Up until last year when he got hurt to start the season, he was an above average QB for us.

He has been an average QB since then, he needs to get his pre-2018 form back.

Gotta love the people  who give him no credit for wins and all blame for losses though.

Just now, Geebrr said:

Up until last year when he got hurt to start the season, he was an above average QB for us.

He has been an average QB since then, he needs to get his pre-2018 form back.

Gotta love the people  who give him no credit for wins and all blame for losses though.

I give him all the credit for the win against Edmonton in week 17 and the BC win last year. Those were literally his two good 2018 performances. 

23 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I give him all the credit for the win against Edmonton in week 17 and the BC win last year. Those were literally his two good 2018 performances. 

2018 Was not good, no doubt. I will give some more time to get back to pre-2018 form though, personally.

Also, hard to argue he had a bad game against the Stamps here to clinch a playoff berth. 

Edited by Geebrr

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

2018 Was not good, no doubt. I will some more time to get back to pre-2018 form though, personally.

Also, hard to argue he had a bad game against the Stamps here to clinch a playoff berth. 

But again, the sample size of bad Nichols is as long as the sample size of good Nichols. What other QB would get away with a full season where he literally has two good games? Not to mention, he was hardly an All-Star to begin with. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

But again, the sample size of bad Nichols is as long as the sample size of good Nichols. What other QB would get away with a full season where he literally has two good games? Not to mention, he was hardly an All-Star to begin with. 

His 2017 was pretty good, he just happened to play in a division with 2 perennial MOP candidates.

I get the skepticism, but I do think the injury has to count for a degree of poor play.

The game here against the Riders was a **** show, and rock bottom.

He was ok/average after that 

Just now, Geebrr said:

His 2017 was pretty good, he just happened to play in a division with 2 perennial MOP candidates.

I get the skepticism, but I do think the injury has to count for a degree of poor play.

The game here against the Riders was a **** show, and rock bottom.

He was ok/average after that 

I think we disagree on the definition of average, but I’ll leave it at that. He was very good in 2017, but that’s basically the only sample of him playing well for an extended stretch. He was the same guy now as he was for most of his career in Edmonton. And mediocre or worse players have one career year scattered amongst an ordinary career constantly. 

9 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think we disagree on the definition of average, but I’ll leave it at that. He was very good in 2017, but that’s basically the only sample of him playing well for an extended stretch. He was the same guy now as he was for most of his career in Edmonton. And mediocre or worse players have one career year scattered amongst an ordinary career constantly. 

We can agree to disagree,  but I would say he was a good QB for us in 2016, and even 2015 when we traded for him mid season and he gave a bad team chances to win games.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lol what? You’re literally just using QB buzzwords here. 

Nichols has strengths as a QB but this just makes you sound clueless. 

Fair enough, but I don't buy into the notion that he holds onto the ball too long at all.  If anything, I say the opposite.

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We can agree to disagree,  but I would say he was a good QB for us in 2016, and even 2015 when we traded for him mid season and he gave a bad team chances to win games.

In 2015 he completed 60% of his passes and had an 18:17 interception ratio. That’s significantly below average. Granted some of those numbers came in Edmonton but it was a largely uninspired season. He was better than Willy for us, but again talk about a low bar. He was better in 2016 but put up significantly worse numbers than Mitchell, Reilly, Jon Jennings and half a season of Trevor Harris. Without his 2017 season, he probably wouldn’t be this team’s QB right now. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

In 2015 he completed 60% of his passes and had an 18:17 interception ratio. That’s significantly below average. Granted some of those numbers came in Edmonton but it was a largely uninspired season. He was better than Willy for us, but again talk about a low bar. He was better in 2016 but put up significantly worse numbers than Mitchell, Reilly, Jon Jennings and half a season of Trevor Harris. Without his 2017 season, he probably wouldn’t be this team’s QB right now. 

That 2015 was not good.

Like extremely not good. There were a few really close losses to some good teams  where he really carried that team 

Edited by Geebrr

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

At this point I would say the Nichols supporters and the Nichols detractors are both dug in the trenches.  Minds will not be changed and ...

Unless he completely falls off the cliff with his play, there is no QB controversy here and nor should there be.

I don't always like the way O'Shea sticks with certain players or assistant coaches for a long time, but there is a reason why he and Lapo have the confidence in Nichols as they should.

The West Final sucked, but no team in the league this year has that kind of defense that we saw out of the Stamps the last couple years.