Game Day Thread- Week Twenty one , GAME 18: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Edmonton November 3rd, 2018

IT"S GAME DAY!!!! Let's Stay Healthy and WIN BABY!!!

wpg-vs-edm.jpg

GAME 18 | WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (10-7) at EDMONTON ESKIMOS (8-9)

THE 4-1-1

Kickoff: 3 p.m. Saturday; Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
TV: TSN, ESPN+
Radio: CJOB
The forecast: A mix of sun and cloud, high of 6C.
Vegas line: The Eskimos are favoured by 4.5 points.
Streaks: Edmonton: 1L; Winnipeg: 5W
Home/Road: The Bombers are 4-4 on the road this year; the Eskimos are 6-2 at home.
Series: The Eskimos lead the all-time series (since 1938) 102-89-3.
Recent history: The Bombers and Esks have split their season series this year, with Edmonton winning here in the season opener 33-30 and Winnipeg winning on the road in the Alberta capital 30-3 on September 29th. Winnipeg has won in each of its last three trips in Edmonton, dating back to Matt Nichols first game as the clear-cut starter in July of 2016.

(Thanks to Ed Tait)

DEPTH-AT-EDMONTON-1-1600x1103.jpg

DrAY0gXXcAAd_xV.jpg

Per the Bomber game preview:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/11/02/game-preview-wpg-edm-3/

Players to watch: #84 Ryan Lankford, WR: He’s established himself as a receiver and returner in parts of four years in the CFL.

Why on Earth would we be starting Lankford in this game? Missed opportunity to give some of our younger (future) players some much needed experience in a regular season CFL game that is otherwise meaningless. Am I missing something here?

11 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Players to watch: #84 Ryan Lankford, WR: He’s established himself as a receiver and returner in parts of four years in the CFL.

Why on Earth would we be starting Lankford in this game? Missed opportunity to give some of our younger (future) players some much needed experience in a regular season CFL game that is otherwise meaningless. Am I missing something here?

Maybe he is right up there as an injury replacement during the playoffs so they want him to get some reps (?)

13 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm not so sure we actually see that much of Lankford today. He isn't listed as a starter on the depth chart at least.  I would think they would want to get a closer look at Charles Nelson on returns. I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Medlcok is not dressed, Lankford will be handling the kicking duties.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sad that Lankford is kicking.  At least bring someone in off the street who might kick in a meaningful game, ideally a young Canadian.

Maybe O'Shea is making a point to some of the fans who want Lankford gone..... O'Shea is gonna show those fans today how valuable Lankford actually is. 

Or .........he is just making sure he takes absolutely zero chances today on getting Medlock injured.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Medlcok is not dressed, Lankford will be handling the kicking duties.

This makes a lot more sense, I always forget he's our backup punter.

6 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Imagine a bomber win today with this line up....... what's the furthest FG Lankford has ever kicked,  is there even a record of it lol

Lots of players can play multiple positions, just don't see it in professional leagues much anymore. Randall Cunningham (NFL QB) even had 20 punts in his career for the Eagles - he even had a 91 yard punt (longest in Eagles history) once.

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe O'Shea is making a point to some of the fans who want Lankford gone..... O'Shea is gonna show those fans today how valuable Lankford actually is. 

Or .........he is just making sure he takes absolutely zero chances today on getting Medlock injured.

It's protecting Medlock.  Would be nice to use the opportunity to see someone who might actually be a CFL kicker, especially since we might be auditioning guys next season too.

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Why would they sit Medlock?  Is he injured?   Makes no sense to me.

Why the heck not? Playoff games often come down to the kicking game making the difference and this is really a nothing game to the Bombers although the Eskies are dressing all their starters, at least to start. Might as well give Medlock the day off.