TO - Argos - What to do about attendance

I knew it was bad and it didn't look very good, but here (https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cfl-takeaways-andrew-harris-continues-dominate/_) it listed that the argos had just over 10 000 at the game. 

That is horrible. I thought 20 000 in other places was sad enough.  But.. 10 000.  This is not good for the league or the team obviously.  Didn't they get 20 k at the sky dome?

If your attendance is that bad, would it not be better to discount the tickets greatly or do two for one deals to get people in the stands and re-coup some of the lost ticket sales in concessions/merch sales?

The stadium looks like a great place to watch the game, but whats the issue here? Such a large market, yet, barely anyone shows up to watch?

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I knew it was bad and it didn't look very good, but here (https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cfl-takeaways-andrew-harris-continues-dominate/_) it listed that the argos had just over 10 000 at the game. 

That is horrible. I thought 20 000 in other places was sad enough.  But.. 10 000.  This is not good for the league or the team obviously.  Didn't they get 20 k at the sky dome?

If your attendance is that bad, would it not be better to discount the tickets greatly or do two for one deals to get people in the stands and re-coup some of the lost ticket sales in concessions/merch sales?

The stadium looks like a great place to watch the game, but whats the issue here? Such a large market, yet, barely anyone shows up to watch?

I'm sure Bluto can pop in and offer several excuses as to why the "hundreds of thousands" of Argo fans aren't able to grace the team with their presence.  Sadly, the one reason that holds the most truth: "Toronto does not give a flying fig about the Argos or the CFL" won't likely make it to his list.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I thought the excuse reason was because the location of the football stadium is inconvenient for all the people in the Burbs to come down and watch the game?

The location excuse was also used when they were at the dome: no one wants to go downtown. There was a time when the Argos used to draw 40,000 fans. But that was before the Blue Jays, before the Raptors, and before MLS. Toronto sports fans have come to think of their city as "big time" "big league," and they look down their nose at the lowly CFL and their team that plays in it.

4 minutes ago, Starman115 said:

The location excuse was also used when they were at the dome: no one wants to go downtown. There was a time when the Argos used to draw 40,000 fans. But that was before the Blue Jays, before the Raptors, and before MLS. Toronto sports fans have come to think of their city as "big time" "big league," and they look down their nose at the lowly CFL and their team that plays in it.

Toronto TFC doesn't have a problem with it's location.

24 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Worked a job with a few guys from Toronto. Huge sports guys, big NFL fans too but could not give one care about the Toronto Argonauts. Just the mindset of the every day person from Toronto. MLS has leap frogged the CFL in these cities and it isn’t even close. 

Sad that third rate soccer is more popular than Canadian football. 

15 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Worked a job with a few guys from Toronto. Huge sports guys, big NFL fans too but could not give one care about the Toronto Argonauts. Just the mindset of the every day person from Toronto. MLS has leap frogged the CFL in these cities and it isn’t even close. 

I don't really think this qualifies as a legitimate excuse... I am a huge NFL fan and try to watch as much on Sundays as possible... but I'm also a life long bombers fan and 15 year season ticket holder... and being an NFL fan would never kill my passion for the Bombers and the CFL.. however, looking down on the league because it's "small time" is just the Toronto way (and Vancouver to a lesser extent)...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I don't really think this qualifies as a legitimate excuse... I am a huge NFL fan and try to watch as much on Sundays as possible... but I'm also a life long bombers fan and 15 year season ticket holder... and being an NFL fan would never kill my passion for the Bombers and the CFL.. however, looking down on the league because it's "small time" is just the Toronto way (and Vancouver to a lesser extent)...

If I am not mistaken the NFL did not sell well either when a bunch of games were played there. Hockey will sell for a long time and the TFC will get support from people who come from lands where football means a game where everyone kicks a round ball. The only hope is that MLSE will have the patience to build the CFL market like how basketball was built into such a popular thing in Toronto.  By the way I believe TFC has a larger payroll than most MLS with international players that were once quite good. 

The stadium looks better on TV than in person.  It feels like a second rate stadium.  Parking is not easy at the best of times.  If you live in the burbs and battle crazy traffic on a 2 hour commute every day, the last thing you want is to drive into the city on a weekend to watch a game when your franchise QB has just been knocked out for the rest of the year - especially when you can watch the game in your own living room on your 60" LCD screen with surround sound.  And believe me, the average football fan will fit into their lazy boy at home a whole lot better than those cheap plastic seats designed for a 5 foot, 120 pound person.

Thanks for the insight. 

In Vanvcouver it sounds like they are making a push to get more fans in the stand with reduced ticket prices/buddy tickets.  Assuming the ammount of concession sales should offset some of this (if they get the proceeds).   

Just a tad worrisome for me seeing the only real sports league i really enjoy.. I like hockey, but the 80 game time commitment is hard with a young family. My son loves bomber games, mainly so he can run around on the field afterwards.  

7 hours ago, bearpants said:

It’s not an excuse at all. But what I mean is they clearly like football they just see the CFL as inferior which is crazy because  these are the same guys watching college football on a Saturday afternoon.