Marshall Ferguson on how Lapo uses Streveller

johnzo

Here's a real nice Twitter thread from the Cats' play-by-play guy about the concepts that Lapo is running with Streveller.   He shows his work with tons of video examples.  Great work, wish there was more of this kind of thing in the CFL media.

You'll see lots of misdirection, lots of similar looks with different guys carrying the ball. Love the play where they have Andrew Harris be the lead blocker for Streveller out of a shovel pass look. Really showcases the dude as a change-of-pace QB. 

(click thru to Twitter or use the link above to read the whole thread.  man twitter threading sucks)

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Here's a real nice Twitter thread from the Cats' play-by-play guy about the concepts that Lapo is running with Streveller.   He shows his work with tons of video examples.  Great work, wish there was more of this kind of thing in the CFL media.

You'll see lots of misdirection, lots of similar looks with different guys carrying the ball. Love the play where they have Andrew Harris be the lead blocker for Streveller out of a shovel pass look. Really showcases the dude as a change-of-pace QB. 

(click thru to Twitter or use the link above to read the whole thread.  man twitter threading sucks)

Thanks for sharing.

Ive been wondering to my self about the bombers using him as DI instead of as a qb. using him in place of flanders in some packages with nichols on the field at the same time. Still the back up qb, but it allows us to get him in more and take nichols out less. Lots of positives and negatives to that. 

Pretty sure a QB can only replace a QB with today's rules, even if Streveler is running as HB. No two QB sets. They have special status which is why they don't count towards the ratio.

In a perfect world QBs wouldn't be exempt from ratio rules, and teams could run their backups as additional DIs or however they want. I'd love to see Nichols and Streveler on the field at the same time.

Edited by yogi

2 hours ago, yogi said:

Pretty sure a QB can only replace a QB with today's rules, even if Streveler is running as HB. No two QB sets. They have special status which is why they don't count towards the ratio.

In a perfect world QBs wouldn't be exempt from ratio rules, and teams could run their backups as additional DIs or however they want. I'd love to see Nichols and Streveler on the field at the same time.

None qbs can and have replaced qbs. You have to be able to replace them because it does happen that the three go down. Plus the ability to have none qbs throw passes etc. 

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/scrimmage/player-restrictions/#r4s5a6

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

None qbs can and have replaced qbs. You have to be able to replace them because it does happen that the three go down. Plus the ability to have none qbs throw passes etc. 

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/scrimmage/player-restrictions/#r4s5a6

But someone listed on the game day roster as a QB cannot play any other position. 

19 hours ago, Mark H. said:

But someone listed on the game day roster as a QB cannot play any other position. 

thats why he would be rostered as a DI and not a qb. Other positions can play qb, qb cant play other positions. 

5 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing another 700 yard passing game. 

Its staggering to think of the nature of offenses in the era that was done. The game is soo much more opened up and in favor of the offenses but we dont see any one get even close. In the year ish before and after i think we saw flirting with big numbers like that too. 

20 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I'm not a rules guru by any stretch, but if they were to actually do this .... couldn't they just list him on the roster as a punter and have him throw the ball? Isn't that essentially what happens if they call a fake punt on 3rd down with Medlock?

It's interesting we use Brian Bennet on the punt coverage team..was the one outside guy on coverage. Not certain if this was first time he was used thee this year, or just first time I noticed.

Myself I would have him as an up back, and the threat for a fake either with running the ball, or taking it and passing...