safety razors

Mark F

Got a safety razor, from Fendrihan Canada. (really quick service)

razor, ( German .... Merkur ) blades, brush, and soap

tried it out....... very happy with it. It's very easy to use . (My skin cuts easily).

very smooth, one little cut, no pulling, extremely close shave.

blades are very cheap.

Pretty glad I went ahead and got that thing.

goodbye overpriced cartridge razors. I won't miss you at all.

Edited by Mark F

26 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Are we talking about a straight razor? 

I had my reservations about getting a straight razor shave cuz I figured all the old geezers who actually learned how to do them were like Stan Lee old, and I'd prefer my jugular to remain intact.

My dad talked me into getting a straight razor shave and hair cut at Tommy Gunns on Kenaston and while pricey (i think $70 for the combo) it was a really good shave with lots of hot toweling and stuff by some pretty easy on the eyes ladies. Been meaning to go back but I'm stuck in the middle of playoff beard and summer beard season so it'll have to wait until November.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

I dont use it anymore but.. The best closest shave i ever got was from a knife like thing my grampa used to use... Super old school... likely b4 cartridge razors were a thing even. Best Shave ever. 

Def been looking at moving on from the current piles of crap. 

You're probably talking about a straight razor:

280px-No_name_straight_razor.JPG

They're talking about a safety razor:

71aoetQcu9L._SY355_.jpg

I've switched to safety razors as well.  Just bought mine off of Amazon.  I do get nicked a bit more with it, but I'm just starting.  I'm trying to get rid of the old regular razor now and shaving cream.

11 hours ago, Logan007 said:

You're probably talking about a straight razor:

280px-No_name_straight_razor.JPG

They're talking about a safety razor:

71aoetQcu9L._SY355_.jpg

I've switched to safety razors as well.  Just bought mine off of Amazon.  I do get nicked a bit more with it, but I'm just starting.  I'm trying to get rid of the old regular razor now and shaving cream.

You do need shaving cream with that. Maybe that's why you're getting nicked up. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You do need shaving cream with that. Maybe that's why you're getting nicked up. 

"I'm trying to get rid of the old regular razor now and shaving cream"

The word old implies both razor and shaving cream.  Of course I'm using shaving cream for shaving.  But I used the old style brush on kind and oiled up before hand.

I've been shaving since I was 17. That was 45 years ago. I have always used a safety razor. I have always used shaving cream. I don't shave in the shower. I shave in front of a mirror.  I hate shaving. I continually end up with 5 day growths of beards I hate it so much.  Back in the 80's & 90's when I worked in an office, I'd shave every second day but the whiskers on my neck would catch on my shirt collar which surprisingly hurt like hell.  Last year I grew a beard for the very first time.   Didn't shave for 4 months. I looked like Drew Edwards of 3 Down Nation.  I actually enjoyed the look until my beard on my chin started growing sideways. And the beard on my cheeks had different growth patterns. My beard was full yet it looked awful. I was so pissed off that I shaved my beard off. My wife was very happy. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2018-06-13 at 11:09 AM, StevetheClub said:

I've used a safety razor for almost 10 years now and I got rid of shaving cream and shaving oil by buying a fog-less mirror and just shaving in the shower. Saves lots of time and money. Though when I have the time I enjoy the ritual of pulling out the soap and brush.

You dont have to give it up entirely. I save my mug soap shaves for weekends and take my time. Love the ritual