Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Goalie

Canadian Premier League

Recommended Posts

Ticket prices are higher than I would have thought.  But I guess they know their market.  It was pretty crazy when the Women's World Cup was here but a lot of people traveled up for it.  Counting on a robust local soccer fandom.  Like everyone else, I played as a kid but I never really watched as an adult but Im intrigued by this.  I remember going to see the Fury.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ticket prices are higher than I would have thought.  But I guess they know their market.  It was pretty crazy when the Women's World Cup was here but a lot of people traveled up for it.  Counting on a robust local soccer fandom.  Like everyone else, I played as a kid but I never really watched as an adult but Im intrigued by this.  I remember going to see the Fury.

 

Remember the Fury too. Started in 30k stadium and downsized to 2k stadium. They did beat Vancouver that one time which was glorious.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Remember the Fury too. Started in 30k stadium and downsized to 2k stadium. They did beat Vancouver that one time which was glorious.

True but since the Bombers own the Valour, they wont be moved somewhere else.  Its certainly a concern if you're a soccer fan, of having a great atmosphere in the large IGF.  Hopefully the fans come out in droves.  I imagine they will not open the upper deck unless needed.

A lot worse ways to spend a spring/summer day/evening then watching soccer at IGF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skeptical this league will work. To some the word Canadian in it no matter what sport means it's cheap & bush league as we know. So, they'll never support it. The CSL played some pretty good soccer back in the 80's & the league did not last. However, population & demographics have changed in 30 years. So, we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Skeptical this league will work. To some the word Canadian in it no matter what sport means it's cheap & bush league as we know. So, they'll never support it. The CSL played some pretty good soccer back in the 80's & the league did not last. However, population & demographics have changed in 30 years. So, we'll see. 

This...and with Vancouver and Toronto in THE best league in North America it's tough to call this a Premier league.

Also with York and Hamilton, Toronto like the CFL basically has 2 teams...again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:05 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Skeptical this league will work. To some the word Canadian in it no matter what sport means it's cheap & bush league as we know. So, they'll never support it. The CSL played some pretty good soccer back in the 80's & the league did not last. However, population & demographics have changed in 30 years. So, we'll see. 

If they can get any sort of TV deal, streaming deal etc, it changes things.  Thats the big difference from years ago where Sports were gate-driven.  They are now rights-fees driven (or they want to be).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-06-10 at 2:00 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Halifax is involved with no stadium. They want to build a temporary 5,000 seat facility. Basically a bleacher stadium with port a potties. Then you have a team in Winnipeg with a 33,000 seat stadium. Go figure. 

Reminds me of the CFL expansion rumours. Step 1, build a stadium 25k+ and then you get to go to Step 2. Come on Halifax...QC...Saskatoon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Reminds me of the CFL expansion rumours. Step 1, build a stadium 25k+ and then you get to go to Step 2. Come on Halifax...QC...Saskatoon...

If Halifax had a 24,000-26,000  seat stadium Halifax & the Maritimes could enter Canadian mainstream professional sports like football & soccer. To me, it should be a logical next step... a given... that they build a stadium for the city.  It's so overdue.  It would be the best thing for the Maritimes. Until then, Halifax will always be on the outside looking in.  Sometimes, I think it's all bluster talking about the CFL or the new soccer league in Halifax but no one is actually serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a connected individual at the Skyscraper forum

Quote

Per Buzzg

So WFC have quietly been prepping for the first season of Valour which kicks off in April (brr). They really want to make this the best experience it can be. 

- only seats on the west side will be open for the games (no corners/end zone). This will allow cameras to use the platforms from FIFA and look better on TV with fans concentrated 
- all concessions on that side have already been prepped to be flipped to Valour red branding for soccer games. All F&B names and inspo will be rebranded. 
- they’re aiming to have almost no bomber branding in the areas fans will be able to access
- blocked off seats will likely be tarped off like in Edmonton, looking at sponsors for them 

They’ve already received over 1,300 deposits on season ticket ACCOUNTS. Each account can buy up to 8 tickets once they go on sale. Expectation is that 2/3 will actually buy, and it’s reasonable to assume they’ll all get minimum 2, if not more. So that’s at least 2,000 season tickets already, but more likely in the 4,000 range. Considering some of the CanPL stadiums aren’t even that big, seems like a good start. I get the sense they’d consider a 5-6k average a successful first season, but that part is just my sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

only seats on the west side will be open for the games (no corners/end zone). This will allow cameras to use the platforms from FIFA and look better on TV with fans concentrated

 

Okay...cause u never really see the west side fans during CFL games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×