2018 Winter Olympics

Rich

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

surely there is more to this thread that attention seekers posting only medals canada has won... don't make this thread as useless as the tv thread

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!!! YOU  HAVE TO JUST HIT IGNORE!!!!! 

So in the interest of discussion, let's talk about the sideshow of mixed doubles curling.... Lawes and Morris absolutely destroyed the competition. What a bloody joke of a sport. Were they hoping that the european teams could compete in that since Canada treats it rightly as an after thought? Lawes and Morris were both so superior as shot makers to anyone else it wasn't even funny. Oh well, more easy medals for Canada I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So in the interest of discussion, let's talk about the sideshow of mixed doubles curling.... Lawes and Morris absolutely destroyed the competition. What a bloody joke of a sport. Were they hoping that the european teams could compete in that since Canada treats it rightly as an after thought? Lawes and Morris were both so superior as shot makers to anyone else it wasn't even funny. Oh well, more easy medals for Canada I suppose. 

I enjoyed it. I think the idea of a quicker game is great. Europeans have been playing for a few years but Canadians are just so damned skilled at curling.

It won't be an after-thought in the future.

Reminds me of the Rugby 7s or one day cricket. Same game, just done quicker.

I can also see how this will take off recreationally in Canada. 

I actually think you can get away being less skilled in mixed since there are more misses all around given you don't have the same precision in line calls or sweeping. 

I am actually torn on it as a sport. I think as a recreational sport it has a lot of merit, but my problems with it as an olympic sport as really the same as I have with curling in general being an olympic sport, namely that it's not the best competition. When you limit Canada to only one team you are leaving out 90% of the team teams. The Dutch can send a million speed skaters and the Norwegians can send a million skiers and the Germans can send a ton of sliding event competitors but Canada only gets one each for curling? It's nonsense. 

okay you guys want a discussion heres one: how far do you think Canada's Men's hockey team will go?

oh and by the way Canada was at the top of the medals chart earlier this morning, very briefly but then the Netherlands won

also here's a nice article I found about one of Team Canada's figure skaters

http://people.com/pets/winter-olympics-2018-figure-skater-meagan-duhamel-rescues-dog/amp/

Edited by iHeart

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Mixed Doubles, as I've said, is the Beer Pong of curling. It's a joke...a fun little sideshow to kill some time....but it's not a legit thing. Anyone can do it. 

It's a joke in this manner. If it was 4vs4 ala traditional then I'd be for it. Maybe i'm too old though lol.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's a joke in this manner. If it was 4vs4 ala traditional then I'd be for it. Maybe i'm too old though lol.

My hope is that enough people join curling because of this gimmick, and then join up with real curling....whatever gets 'em in the door, as they say.

as for the mens hockey team, who gives a ****? **** the IOC, IIHF and NHL for being greedy money grubbing pricks. Much more interested in women's hockey than men's because without the best players it means nothing. Rob Klinkhammer is on the team for god's sake! Let that sink in, Klinkhammer is an olympic hockey player. You know how I know it's gonna be bad bad hockey?

21 hours ago, 17to85 said:

don't make this thread as useless as the tv thread

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

as for the mens hockey team, who gives a ****? **** the IOC, IIHF and NHL for being greedy money grubbing pricks.

Seems to be some dissonance here.

Edited by Mark F