Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

I gotta admit, I had to doublecheck HockeyDB for those stats you pulled @The Unknown Poster.  OEL 42 pts/82 GP and Trouba 32/82 is way closer than I would have guessed.  

The underlying numbers tell a little different story though, when you factor in 8's health.  OEL has four 42+ pt seasons and two 20 GOAL seasons.  Trouba's career bests are closer to 1/2 that.... and as much as I love the guy, I don't think he gets much closer to OEL's offence anytime soon. 

Interesting comparable, for sure. 

Trouba signed a bridge.. Maybe he wanted that maybe he didnt.. But.. Regardless a bridge contract means u are betting on yourself to put up points so u can get paid.. He didnt really do that.. I personally dont think hes worth more than Morgan Reilly in Toronto

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Trouba signed a bridge.. Maybe he wanted that maybe he didnt.. But.. Regardless a bridge contract means u are betting on yourself to put up points so u can get paid.. He didnt really do that.. I personally dont think hes worth more than Morgan Reilly in Toronto

Yes and I also think if you look at OEL, I believe it was his 5th year when he really showed the consistent offense.  Trouba bet on himself to do the same and didnt.  He cant really argue that he still has time to get better.  Well, he CAN argue that, but he's been in the league long enough, in a top role long enough that the Jets would reasonable expect that this is what Trouba is and even if he improves, its unlikely to be massively.

They could construct a long term deal that pays little now and a lot at the end.  But I think $6 million is the high end of what we'd pay.

Just now, Goalie said:

Why? 

What would he have to gain by lying and putting on a "big show" while being a huge part of the team's blue line? He rescinded his trade request over 18 months ago and has been playing a key role on his dominant side. Since then, he's expressed being happy with his role on the team and during the playoffs went on record saying he wants to be a Jet long-term.

Methinks you're still dwelling on what happened prior to the 2016-17 season. That's just a hunch, though.

Bottom line: if you can sign him long-term at a reasonable price, you do it. He and Morrissey will anchor the blue line for the foreseeable future.

I agree.  It makes no sense for Trouba to have been honest about wanting a trade and then suddenly say he wants to stay long term and be lying.  If nothing had changed, he'd say something like "thats for my agent and the Jets to work out but I like it here but business is business".

I think its highly unlikely Trouba is being dishonest in saying he wants to sign long term with the Jets.  Now, he might have a contract demand that makes it impossible...

I also dont see the offensive upside to Trouba.  Great shutdown guy but all around top player offensively and defensively no. So hopefully his agent and him are realistic. What does Chevy get back in fair return if a deal doesn't get made? Thats gonna be tough. Good thing Chevy is in charge.

35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

With no charges against Hoffman's gf what proof could the Karlsson's have?

There is an on-going criminal investigation.  Burden of proof for a peace bond isnt that great. 

One would suspect they have reason to believe its her and they will likely present that (and have surely done so to the police).  It might have been the cops who advised them to get a peace bond.

Average person isnt as computer savvy as they think so the cops could have evidence.  We'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

From Andrew Hammond's wife...

When things like this happen, I always wonder why its allowed to get that bad. It must be awful in the locker room.  Unless Hoffman is just this awesome guy with the worst gf ever.  But even then, you'd think he'd dump her.  And either way, there must have been a lot of tension.

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What would he have to gain by lying and putting on a "big show" while being a huge part of the team's blue line? He rescinded his trade request over 18 months ago and has been playing a key role on his dominant side. Since then, he's expressed being happy with his role on the team and during the playoffs went on record saying he wants to be a Jet long-term.

Methinks you're still dwelling on what happened prior to the 2016-17 season. That's just a hunch, though.

Bottom line: if you can sign him long-term at a reasonable price, you do it. He and Morrissey will anchor the blue line for the foreseeable future.

What is reasonable? 7 million? Cuz i don't think so.. Hes good but hes not 1 mill less than OEL good..

6? Sure. Higher? What's the limit? Cuz there is one... Especially looking at his peers in his draft class... 5.75 x 5 is prob fair. I think if he signs, you see that type of deal... Gets him to UFA at a good age where he can sign big money 7 8 yr deal as UFA. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Can someone quickly sum up what the story is with the girlfriends?    What exactly did Hoffman's gf do and why was she doing this?

As Goalie said, cyber bullying but really nasty.  When the Karlsson's son was stillborn, the Hoffman gf was allegedly sending vile messages on social media about Mrs Karlsson popping pain pills during pregnancy and basically being an all around nasty person.

From the Ottawa Citizen:

A series of allegations made by the wife of the captain of the Ottawa Senators against a fellow teammate’s fiancée, detailing a season-long campaign of targeted online harassment, threatens to upend Ottawa’s locker room, leaving the futures of two of the team’s stars in question.

Melinda Karlsson, née Currey, has filed an application for an order of protection against the longtime girlfriend of Senators forward Mike Hoffman — alleging a campaign of harassment that plagued the Karlssons after the death of their son and through much of the last NHL season

Hoffman's response (oddly worded):

Reached on Tuesday afternoon after this newspaper broke the story, Hoffman said, “There’s nothing really for me to say, at this time. That’s all I can say.”

In a subsequent comment, Hoffman said, “There is a 150 per cent chance that my fiancée Monika and I are not involved in any of the accusations that have been pursued (that are) coming our way.”

Hoffman said that the couple believes “there’s no place for cyberbullying.”

Edited by The Unknown Poster