Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

46 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Rumors out there that Kovalchuk is interesting in playing for 5 teams...... 

Winnipeg is on his list. 

Anyone tell him that the franchise has moved from Atlanta? 

But seriously, is he fast enough to play? What sort of salary would he command? And, no thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From what I read he's mostly likely ending up with the Bruins or Islanders..

I wonder what his relationship is with Lamoriello after the big contract and retirement thing?

Use cap space and move certain player(s) like Perreault to sign Peter Stastny please.

2 to 3 years would be nice but I assume at 32 years of age he'd want longer so he can drift off into the sunset nicely.

I'm assuming some team will give him a longer term contract.  

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Unlike other years i could not even tell you who #1 is going to be. Feels weak.

Rasmus Dahlin is expected to be taken first.  Also Andre Svechnikov is ranked near the top.  Plays for the Barrie Colts.  Brady Tkachuk is up there too.

Not sure how strong/weak it is.  We might hear less because the Jets dont have a first round pick.

At 60, I've seen Curtis Hall.  6'2" 200lb Centre in the USHL.

This draft? Likely stronger than last years... In terms of overall talent level but prob not as deep. Top 20 is pretty strong tho.. Def some interesting names.  

Dhalin. Svech. Tkachuk. Wahlstrom. Bouchard. Dobson. Strong. Lots of question marks tho. 

2019 is stronger

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not sure what it does to a potential Trouba contract.  OEL has better stats and a longer body of work.  But his stats aren't *way* better than Trouba...but probably enough that OEL is an offensive D man while Trouba really isnt.

OEL has way more points than Trouba. OEL is legit top 5 D in the league. Trouba? Maybe top 30. Argument could be made that Morrissey and Buff are better. Troubas high for points was 34 last season. OEL lowest was pretty much that in his 2nd year. Trouba? I see 6 million per max. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

OEL has way more points than Trouba. OEL is legit top 5 D in the league. Trouba? Maybe top 30. Argument could be made that Morrissey and Buff are better

OLM:  GP: 576  Goals: 102  Points: 290

Trouba: GP: 326  Goals:  34  Points: 129

So OLM has 68 more goals and 161 more points in 250 more games.

GPG:  OLM:  .18  Trouba:  .10

PPG:  OLM  .50  Trouba: .40

So OLM certainly better but not massively so, as far as offense goes.  But I think it shows OLM in that category of offensive D man and Trouba not so that should impact the contract.  It likely works to Trouba's favour in that his agent is sure to use it as a comp. 

But if we accept Trouba is 80% the offense of OLM, and use that to determine a contract compared to OLM, it comes in at $6.4 Million per which is probably fairly reasonable for a long term deal.

Trouba will argue that he's younger and has potential to be OEL.  He will say, if you want me to sign for 8 years, you have to pay me based on that expectation.  Jets will counter that they have 5 years of data to tell them Trouba wont suddenly be OEL in two years.

It will come down to how much Trouba wants to sign long term and thus will take less and how much the Jets want him signed long term and will pay more.  Meet in the middle.