Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

This will aggravate some people.

Did the vendors not pay a fee to be there?  Who got that?  Was Budweiser not a sponsor?  They had that giant red light...why would they not be paying for that advertising (plus having their beer products sold exclusively)?  Did TN run the concessions and keep the money?

I had a debate with a friend last week who said people were very upset in regards to the City not cooperating with Pride but doing these parties. 

One thing though, if there was no formal party, but thousands of people took to the streets...the police would still be obligated to meet whatever requirements there was for their presence. 

There has to be a way to generate more revenue to off-set the costs (ie. charge a vendor fee to be there, sell sponsorship etc). 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

How did the city not cooperate with Pride?  There was a big parade and Brian Bowman spoke there.  I haven't heard anything negative from people that went.

Pride wanted to march down Portage (similar to the route last year or the year before, whenever the anniversary was).  They wanted the city to pick up the tab for the increased cost to manage that (police etc).

The city declined.  They wanted Pride to foot the bill (I think it was ten grand or something).  And Pride thought this was a terrible thing.

From what I understand, much of the parade ignored the actual route and marched down Portage anyway...I wonder if they will be sent a bill.

So not that the City wasnt involved, just on the issue of the parade and police, Pride wanted the services donated.  As I pointed out to my friend, perhaps had they not thumbed their noses at the cops taking part in Pride, the cops might have been more willing to donate their time.  From what I understand, the cops usually donate time but this year, because Pride wanted a larger parade, the City wanted them to pay for it.  Im not sure why thats unreasonable.  But to some of the Pride organizers it was.

When I asked my friend about the negative feelings towards the police impacting this his reply was "we expect them to do their job".  I said well, they expect to be paid.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I can see why they would be upset by that but the two situations are not really comparable considering the amount of money that True North put into the whiteout parties.

I would agree.  But my friend who has been involved in organizing, was already making the comparison before any numbers were even known so I know it was a talking point among people involved with Pride.  I sat it out this year.  And I dont get the point of excluding police.  Also, if the price tag for the larger route was $10,000 (I seem to recall that number but someone can correct me if Im wrong), its not a big number.  Pride has tons of sponsors.

Also, the Whiteout parties generate revenue for businesses (by sheer mass of people) whereas the Pride parade would have a much smaller impact.

Anyway, Im sure many more people than Pride will be angry with the numbers released today.  The cops werent happy about the "short notice" either (I guess the playoffs snuck up on everyone this year).  They'll need a better plan for future years.

49 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

perhaps had they not thumbed their noses at the cops taking part in Pride, 

I had heard that the Toronto Pride people got into a tough spot as the BLM movement hi-jacked the event and didn't allow the Toronto Police to even have a float in the parade.  Caused a lot of ill feelings that had nothing to do with the spirit or intent of the actual parade.  Sad to see.  Not sure if Winnipeg had the same issues with BLM.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I had heard that the Toronto Pride people got into a tough spot as the BLM movement hi-jacked the event and didn't allow the Toronto Police to even have a float in the parade.  Caused a lot of ill feelings that had nothing to do with the spirit or intent of the actual parade.  Sad to see.  Not sure if Winnipeg had the same issues with BLM.

Yup.  I cant say for sure.  I helped with some organizing in the past but I've been a spectator the last couple of years (and sat out this year).  My buddy was in management with the presenting sponsor (he's not anymore) which was my knowledge path.

In my debate with him, he said he initially agreed with me (that it was silly to exclude the cops).  I made the same point you did, that no one had a problem with the police until BLM co-opted Pride in TO and that the two causes are really unrelated.  He said that after talking to some people in the gay community he changed his mind because there have been negative situations with police.  I said well, telling them to get lost isnt going to improve that at all.  He said no we havent told them they cant march, just that they cant wear uniforms. 

I always come down on the side of the gay peeps.  But I was pretty angry with this.  You can't have an event to celebrate inclusiveness while excluding a group that wants to take part and show support.  And that dove tailed to an anger at the cops for not being willing to donate the time to the larger parade route.  What did they expect?  Plus, I asked him how gay cops must now feel today being told to basically hide if they came. 

Pride is great and its fun.  Keep the politics out of it.

EDIT: Since I wasnt there I asked a friend who was and he said he did not see any police taking part in the parade (but didnt see the entire thing) and that one woman tried to lead the parade down Portage and everyone ignored her so it didnt happen. lol

Edited by The Unknown Poster

On 2018-02-06 at 9:41 AM, JCon said:

Trouba will get over $7M. He would on the open market for sure.

If he re-signs here long-term (if), I expect a 8 year by $7M AAV.

I don't think he's worth that.  Players who are on the open market get overpaid.  Scheifs would have got more on the open market too. There's a reason there is restricted free-agency until they earn being a UFA.  

43 minutes ago, Goalie said:

7 million for like 30 points not even? I think 6 max depending on contract length. Morrissey is better than Trouba. I like Trouba but feel hes very overrated by Jets fans

I like Morrisey better too. He pretty much at the same level but with durability.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Morrissey is well liked by the coaches very reliable and plays at a consistent level.   Usually plays against the other teams top guys.   

Yeah but....he's paired with Trouba at that time :P

I think Trouba is tougher and i think he even has a better shot, 17/18 not withstanding.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

He's better. Hes smarter. Hes better defensively. Hes our number 1 D man. Trouba sometimes gets moved down... Josh never does. 

I like Morrissey but to say he never gets moved down while Trouba does... the right side has Buff and Myers while the left has Toby and Chiarot.  Not really a good comparison.

I agree with @Goalie that we over-rate Trouba.  I think his sitting out had something to do with it because we equate his self-marketing as an elite D man to reality.  He's very good but he's not elite yet.  I think his contract ends up being good in the Jets favour (maybe not by much).

Regarding Josh vs Trouba, I think Josh is more consistent right now.  Trouba has more upside but sometimes you hear about him having a bad game.  You rarely hear that about Josh.