Top 50 CFL Players (opinion)

AKAChip

This is probably a weird time for this but I was bored and inspired to make a list of my own personal top 50 CFL players. This was an extremely difficult venture and comparing players of who play different positions is almost an impossible and pointless task but it would be cool if a number of us made personal lists for comparison's sake. 

A few things I noticed: 

- I was surprised at how talent poor Ottawa's current roster is. I was not surprised how talent poor Montreal and Saskatchewan's rosters were. 

- I am definitely biased towards the Bomber players I like and against those I don't. 

- Ranking offensive linemen is very difficult. 

- We are in a very dark age for running backs due to a very pass heavy league plus injuries. 

- I could not help but put Victor Butler on the list despite only playing 3 career games. He's that good. 

- I tried to ignore injuries 

Without further ado:

1. Bo Levi Mitchell 

2. Mike Reilly 

3. Solomon Elimimian

4. Charleston Hughes 

5. Emmanuel Arceneaux

6. Adarius Bowman 

7. DaVaris Daniels 

8. John White 

9. Jerome Messam

10. Ernest Jackson

11. Abdul Kanneh

12. Greg Ellingson 

13. Derek Dennis 

14. Alex Singleton 

15. TJ Heath 

16. Bryan Burnham

17. Chris Williams 

18. Naaman Roosevelt 

19. Ted Laurent 

20. Moe Leggett 

21. Justin Medlock

22. Jamar Wall

23. Louchiez Purifoy

24. Emanuel Davis

25. SJ Green 

26. John Chick

27. Almonds Sewell

28. Jon Jennings 

29. Cleyon Laing

30. SirVincent Rogers 

31. Shawn Lemon 

32. Trevor Harris 

33. Jamaal Westerman

34. Jovan Olafioye

35. Victor Butler

36. Travis Bond

37. Micah Johnson

38. Chris Randle 

39. Forrest Hightower

40. Bear Woods 

41. Ricky Ray

42. Brandyn Thompson 

43. Luke Tasker 

44. Duron Carter 

45. Weston Dressler

46. Zach Collaros

47. Marquay McDaniel

48. Terrence Toliver

49. JC Sherritt 

50. Drake Nevis

51. Andrew Harris 

Edited by AKAChip

11 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Perhaps you need to have a separate National list as a quick count you only have maybe 10% Nationals on your list.

I didn't really care to worry about nationality when making this list but the international talent in the league is far more plentiful than the national. But since you asked, the top  20 nationals in the CFL right now: 

1. Jerome Messam

2. Alex Singleton 

3. Ted Laurent 

4. Cleyon Laing 

5. Jamaal Westerman 

6. Andrew Harris 

7. Taylor Loffler 

8. Spencer Wilson

9. Dan Federkiel

10. Tyler Holmes

11. Nolan McMillan 

12. Zack Evans

13. Sukh Chungh

14. Brad Sinopoli

15. Ryan Bomben

16. Lemar Durant 

17. Brandon Revenberg

18. Justin Sorensen

19. Rene Paredes

20. Nic Demski

10 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

Lol Bakari Grant is 2nd in the league with touchdowns and you have players with zero touchdowns on that list ahead of him. Hilarious.

And Matt Nichols doesn't even crack top 50? C'mon now.

How is Nichols not there? It's a fan list so it's far from perfect.

23 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

Lol Bakari Grant is 2nd in the league with touchdowns and you have players with zero touchdowns on that list ahead of him. Hilarious.

after 3 games he has 185 yards,  he's nothing worth writing home about, just like he wasn't last year with 685 yards.

Dressler has more yards in 2 games and 1 less TD, hell he almost matched Grants totals in 1 game.

AND I just saw your thread taking a shot at the Bombers 1 win at IGF in 2013...  When people look back on the history of NMS guess who got the first win there? ;)

48 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

It's been three games, you dolt. If I were going to put another Rider receiver in there it would be Holley even before Grant.

Edited by AKAChip

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How is Nichols not there? It's a fan list so it's far from perfect.

In my opinion, and I will stress it is my opinion, just being a QB does not give you a place in the top 50. Nichols in my mind is not a top 50 player in the league. Top 70, maybe. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I strongly disagree but you are entitled to your opinion. I'd be happy to see your list.

Man, I don't have the time to do that. I don't think I could sit down & actually do it which is why I won't criticize you for your choices. Where it takes time is on the lines. More power to you for taking the time to do it.

there are a few I'd probably add to the list while omitting a few.

I would add  Zylstra, Rainey, Stephens to the list, and probably put Tyrell Sutton or Jeremiah Johnson ahead of Messam at this point.  Both Messam and Harris aren't having great running #s so far this season, but at least Harris makes up for it receiving (2 games, 14 receptions 107 yards),  Messam not so much (3 games, 9 receptions for 71 yards)

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

13 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I didn't really care to worry about nationality when making this list but the international talent in the league is far more plentiful than the national. But since you asked, the top  20 nationals in the CFL right now: 

1. Jerome Messam

2. Alex Singleton 

3. Ted Laurent 

4. Cleyon Laing 

5. Jamaal Westerman 

6. Andrew Harris 

7. Taylor Loffler 

8. Spencer Wilson

9. Dan Federkiel

10. Tyler Holmes

11. Nolan McMillan 

12. Zack Evans

13. Sukh Chungh

14. Brad Sinopoli

15. Ryan Bomben

16. Lemar Durant 

17. Brandon Revenberg

18. Justin Sorensen

19. Rene Paredes

20. Nic Demski

No way Brendan Labatte isn't on this list. He is a top Lineman in this league

11 hours ago, AKAChip said:

It's been three games, you dolt. If I were going to put another Rider receiver in there it would be Holley even before Grant.

Thanks for doing the list. Its very hard to make a list like this. Personally I would probably have taken a existing list and changed some stuff. I see the Riders with 3 for sure top fifty players, Labatte, Dennis, Roosevelt. Consideration to Holley, Muamba, And Bakari Grant. I disagree with White at 8, mostly because I can't stand that mouthpiece. You definitely have some Bombers too high, but any fan of his team would have a tendancy to do that

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Thanks for doing the list. Its very hard to make a list like this. Personally I would probably have taken a existing list and changed some stuff. I see the Riders with 3 for sure top fifty players, Labatte, Dennis, Roosevelt. Consideration to Holley, Muamba, And Bakari Grant. I disagree with White at 8, mostly because I can't stand that mouthpiece. You definitely have some Bombers too high, but any fan of his team would have a tendency to do that

kettle, meet pot :D.... Muamba hasn't done anything in the CFL since 2013... that's not to say he won't ever find his form again... it's just these are "what have you done for me lately" type lists...

Edited by bearpants

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

kettle, meet pot :D.... Muamba hasn't done anything in the CFL since 2013... that's not to say he won't ever find his form again... it's just these are "what have you done for me lately" type lists...

I said consideration, never said he was on list. We sure missed him when we played you guys. Our defense was a lot better against Montreal and Hamilton 17 and 19 points against when he played. He is a starting Canadian MLB and he is good. He is worthy of consideration, that's not being a homer on that one IMHO

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I said consideration, never said he was on list. We sure missed him when we played you guys. Our defense was a lot better against Montreal and Hamilton 17 and 19 points against when he played. He is a starting Canadian MLB and he is good. He is worthy of consideration, that's not being a homer on that one IMHO

I was mostly just bugging you... but my point is 2013 Muamba is definitely on the list, probably top-20... we basically have no idea what kind of player 2017 Muamba is... so it's premature to even have him "in consideration" right now... if he comes back from injury and plays like the all-star MLB he once was... then he's definitely back in the conversation...

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Not that we wouldn't want him back, but Muamba has not been the player he was when he left us. He's not even the best Canadian linebacker in the league any more.

16 hours ago, tracker said:

Not that we wouldn't want him back, but Muamba has not been the player he was when he left us. He's not even the best Canadian linebacker in the league any more.

NFL hangover, players are never as good when they come back.  Curious as to who you think is a better Canadian MLB than Muamba?

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Singleton, and it isn't close..

beat me to it lol.  Singleton, hands down, is the best canadian LB in the CFL right now.  Guys a gamer and the switch from american to canadian at his spot would actually downgrade the stamps defense IMO.