Canadian Politics

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

There is no good reason for the public to own firearms whose only design purpose is to kill people. Yes, anyone could use a hunting rifle to go on a killing spree, but sociologically, getting rid of people-killing guns causes a shift in public consciousness for the better, as the Australian example shows.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

There is no good reason for the public to own firearms whose only design purpose is to kill people. Yes, anyone could use a hunting rifle to go on a killing spree, but sociologically, getting rid of people-killing guns causes a shift in public consciousness for the better, as the Australian example shows.

Using this type of gun for hunting is not a viable excuse either, if you need to use a mock-machine gun to kill a deer, the deer deserves to live another day.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Prentendie, made for pretendie warriors.

NINTCHDBPICT000577306889.jpg?w=670

So machine guns are prohibited in Canada, and civilians have been unable to buy automatic guns since 1986 in the US, so I’m still confused as to what you mean by a mock machine gun 

In regards to mock machine guns.
Its a unique type of hunting rifle specifically designed to hunt mockingbirds during open season in, what has affectionately been dubbed Mocktober.

If you don’t believe me, just ask me, I have all the answers.

And some of them are right.

I could be president.

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Prentendie, made for pretendie warriors.

NINTCHDBPICT000577306889.jpg?w=670

I love(? Maybe not the right word) that these type of people think they'd stand even the slightest chance against the government if it decided to go rogue and attack the people. Enjoy shooting those fancy rifles at drones and missiles.

I also get a chuckle out the guys who do their best Chris Farley, fat man in a tiny jack routine but in bullet proof vest instead.

Edited by Bigblue204

12 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Couple problems with this, what is a “military grade assault rifle”?  And who now determines market value for the guns. 

I suspect the government knows on both counts.  And anyway market value is whatever they are gracious enough to pay you for an illegal weapon.   A gun person can always opt not to take the money and take the charges instead lol 

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect the government knows on both counts.  And anyway market value is whatever they are gracious enough to pay you for an illegal weapon.   A gun person can always opt not to take the money and take the charges instead lol 

The government uses that term, but it’s a broad term that they don’t define. The guns that are used in the military, which would be automatic, are already prohibited in Canada. 

4 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

The government uses that term, but it’s a broad term that they don’t define. The guns that are used in the military, which would be automatic, are already prohibited in Canada. 

Yeah. I’m sure more info will come.  Probably semi automatic too. Hand guns etc.  No guns allowed.  

46 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Trade in all your guns...and get life size Nerf Guns for every one turned in. 🤪

Offer toilet paper in return. Fair value.

40 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Couple problems with this, what is a “military grade assault rifle”?  And who now determines market value for the guns. 

It kinda helps that weapons such as the AR15 are sold as "military grade assault rifle" in the description :P

13 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So ban all guns? I believe that’s bad policy.

You just have to look south to see what happens when you have an open policy on guns.

For full disclosure. I'm also anti-gun.

42 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced a ban on some 1,500 makes and models of military-grade "assault-style" weapons in Canada, effective immediately.

Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sorts of weapons in this country.

"As of today, the market for assault weapons in Canada is closed," Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said. "Enough is enough. Banning these firearms will save Canadian lives."

Trudeau said there will be a two-year amnesty period to allow people who already own these firearms to comply with the ban. Trudeau promised to pass legislation in the coming months to provide "fair compensation" to people who own these firearms."

"The term "assault-style" has no legal definition in Canada. The Firearms Act also does not currently classify firearms as "military-style" — that term would have to be defined in the new regulations.

Generally speaking, an assault-style weapon is a semi-automatic firearm with a large ammunition magazine, built to fire quickly."

"Radio-Canada obtained an early draft of a list of firearms that will be included in that 1,500 figure. Guns like the M16, M4, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles will be banned; those styles were used in the Sandy Hook, New Zealand, Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings. There are an estimated 83,572 of them in Canada.

The Ruger Mini-14, the type of firearm used in the École Polytechnique shooting, is also on the list. There are an estimated 16,859 of them in Canada.

The M14 rifle, used in the Moncton shooting, is also expected to be banned. There are an estimated 5,229 of those in Canada."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gun-control-measures-ban-1.5552131

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Offer toilet paper in return. Fair value.

It kinda helps that weapons such as the AR15 are sold as "military grade assault rifle" in the description :P

You just have to look south to see what happens when you have an open policy on guns.

For full disclosure. I'm also anti-gun.

The “AR-15” is just a style of the gun. Canada does not have an open policy on gun. The laws that are in place are actually pretty good. With having different classes for guns, non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited. What needs to change is the enforcement of laws. Control at boarders needs to happen to not allow illegal guns to enter. 

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

So ban all guns? I believe that’s bad policy.

Obviously thats not the case and its the same silly argument that erupts in the US.  If they take my tank, my shoulder mounted missile launcher, my grenades, my M-16 and the 10 million rounds of ammo, they'll come for my hunting rifle next.  Thats not an issue in Canada.  But guns are not needed for anything outside of hunting (and Ill defer on the argument of personal protection).  Fortunately, in Canada, we havent wrapped ourselves up in misunderstanding very old amendment into making guns a culture thing.

But yeah, no guns (outside of hunting).  

37 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

The “AR-15” is just a style of the gun. Canada does not have an open policy on gun. The laws that are in place are actually pretty good. With having different classes for guns, non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited. What needs to change is the enforcement of laws. Control at boarders needs to happen to not allow illegal guns to enter. 

No, what needs to change is not just control at borders, which ofcourse, illegal guns should be prevented from coming in.  But there is zero need for any of the weapons mentioned in the post above.  Thats the answer to your earlier question.  Do you need an AR-15 or similar weapon?  If you do, you dont anymore because they're now banned.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Obviously thats not the case and its the same silly argument that erupts in the US.  If they take my tank, my shoulder mounted missile launcher, my grenades, my M-16 and the 10 million rounds of ammo, they'll come for my hunting rifle next.  Thats not an issue in Canada.  But guns are not needed for anything outside of hunting (and Ill defer on the argument of personal protection).  Fortunately, in Canada, we havent wrapped ourselves up in misunderstanding very old amendment into making guns a culture thing.

But yeah, no guns (outside of hunting).  

One amendment, fat people don't need to hunt.