Canadian Politics

28 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Not even slightly surprised by this- I'm not even sure why that is...

Trudeau must be regretting the day he ever promoted that *****, she's worse than the psycho from Fatal Attraction. 😄

Wilson-Raybould said she invited Algonquin Elder Claudette Commanda to bless the offices after her swearing-in following the October election. She said she had received no "formal notice" at that point that she was required to move out, adding she got the notice on Dec. 5.

"They are trying to," Wilson-Raybould told CBC News when asked whether Commons administration was trying to move her out of the offices. "But my amazing elder Commanda came and cleansed my office. So I'm hopeful they'll see the appropriate thing to let me stay in my office."

Commanda said the ceremony to cleanse and bless the office also included a prayer for Wilson-Raybould to keep her office space.

"We prayed for the protection that she will remain in that office space," said Commanda. "She is settled there and that is where the work needs to take place … If anybody expects her to move, that is not right."

Commanda said Wilson-Raybould wanted to respect the fact Ottawa sits on unceded Algonquin land and she wanted an Algonquin elder to conduct the ceremony to help her prepare for the opening of Parliament.

"She did the right steps having the ceremony and the prayer so she would be walking in a good way and commencing work in a good way," she said.

In the light of the British election, where there have been negotiations between Boris and Donald to open up the National healthcare plan, ie, start to dismantle it, (the dream of rightwingers everywhere, including Canada, don't kid yourself.... )

Canadian people should be wary.

Not hard to see the effects of right wing policy on healthcare in Canada, like in BC where Doctors are scarce due to not being paid as well as in other provinces.

I give Harper credit for this, he was smart enough to not piss around with single payer healthcare.  

Edited by Mark F

Listen, I loved Harper. He was a great PM.  But “outside personality”?  Lol. 

Cons are desperately looking for someone that can win without the party having to change.  They want to keep the support of the gross alt right and gain support from the middle.  Not going to happen.  If you can’t beat an empty suit with the baggage of JT you can’t beat anyone. 

with that said, my early favourite would be Peter MacKay. 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Listen, I loved Harper. He was a great PM.  But “outside personality”?  Lol. 

Cons are desperately looking for someone that can win without the party having to change.  They want to keep the support of the gross alt right and gain support from the middle.  Not going to happen.  If you can’t beat an empty suit with the baggage of JT you can’t beat anyone. 

with that said, my early favourite would be Peter MacKay. 

They need to 'reform' their party, but not the way they 'reformed' it before. 

On 2019-12-13 at 10:16 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Not even slightly surprised by this- I'm not even sure why that is...

On 2019-12-13 at 10:58 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Trudeau must be regretting the day he ever promoted that *****, she's worse than the psycho from Fatal Attraction. 😄

In that case, we need more psychos.  It was about time someone called out a PM for some of their scandals - and for not delivering most of what they ran on - you know, transparency & all that rot. 

On 2019-12-12 at 9:48 PM, rebusrankin said:

Rona Ambrose would be an excellent pick for the Conservatives. Progressive socially, fiscally conservative, intelligent and articulate.

It would be nice but this is the exact opposite of what this party represents now. It's social conservative (regressive conservative) and fiscally irresponsible. 

There was a time, when the conservatives would vacate the centre-right, that the Liberals would fill the void but that's not happening either. Progressive socially but not fiscally conservative. 

more on the right wing attack on public health care in Canada, Ontario:

Among the premier's sweeping cutbacks — aimed at reducing the deficit without tapping the corporate elite for more tax revenues — are a dizzying array of cuts to our public health-care system, the crown jewel of our social programs.

These cuts, totalling about $360 million, will affect everything from mental health care to cancer screening, according to Natalie Mehra, head of the Ontario Health Coalition.

Their impact will likely be profound, since Ontario's health-care spending is already well below the Canadian average, even though Ontario is one of the richest provinces.

Indeed, Ontario's health-care spending is only $3,903 per person — the lowest of the 10 provinces — and $487 per person lower than the Canadian average, according to Ontario's Financial Accountability Office.

Even more damaging may be the Ford government's embrace of further privatization, evident in recent legislation creating a health superagency with vast new privatization powers.

make no mistake, the right wingers are coming for our healthcare system. And they won't do it at once, they just cut here and there, till it no longer functions.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/opinion-story/9733414-attempted-privatization-of-health-care-is-moving-ahead-stealthily/?fbclid=iwar0tk3i8chmlleqbaoi5nvwty1mnz0ocpeyva8dsiurvk195qhqg5y_g5ka

I was told years ago by a business reporter friend of mine, that the upper crust hate public health care.

During the Filmon years in Manitoba they fired nurses in droves, tried to privatise homecare. created a real mess.

After the NDP under Doer got elected, they worked hard to restore nursing staff to workable levels. and succeeded.

Not sure why these right wing people hate public healthcare, but they do.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

more on the right wing attack on public health care in Canada, Ontario:

make no mistake, the right wingers are coming for our healthcare system. And they won't do it at once, they just cut here and there, till it no longer functions.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/opinion-story/9733414-attempted-privatization-of-health-care-is-moving-ahead-stealthily/?fbclid=iwar0tk3i8chmlleqbaoi5nvwty1mnz0ocpeyva8dsiurvk195qhqg5y_g5ka

I was told years ago by a business reporter friend of mine, that the upper crust hate public health care.

In Britain, they'll pay for the Brexit Boondoggle by gutting healthcare. It's coming here too. 

They paid for the mega-rich tax cuts in the US by gutting their medicare. 

31 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think it’s key of the alt right grossness.  They think of poor people as deserving of suffering.  Especially minorities.  Again, true Canadian conservative would uphold Canadian values no matter what and that includes health care.   

I agree with you. At best, they don't care.

Edited by Mark F

• 2 weeks later...

https://north99.org/2019/12/10/fact-check-yes-kenneys-conservatives-are-cutting-healthcare-funding/

According to the Parkland Institute, a non-partisan research centre at the University of Alberta, Kenney’s budget will mean an effective healthcare cut of 17 percent by 2022.

These numbers also don’t account for the aging population of Alberta. The number of seniors living in the province is set to double in the next 15 years. Without sustained increases in healthcare spending, Alberta’s Health Services are bound to face a dangerous funding shortfall.

This communications strategy is not isolated to Kenney either. Conservatives across the country rely on this sort of doublespeak to mislead their constituents. Doug Ford’s government in Ontario has relied on this same tactic to justify his austerity budget and have cut spending relative to inflation. 

On 2019-12-13 at 7:16 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jason Kenny interfering in the curriculum of AB. school children to get his message across.

Jason Kenney’s ‘triggered’ culture reaches Alberta students

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/jason-kenneys-trigger-culture-reaches-alberta-students/

Like the NDP didn't interfere? They re-did the curriculum here in AB. And the education system is run by progressives.