US Politics

Rich

In other US news, students at the University of North Carolina have torn down Silent Sam, a Confederate monument, Saddam-style. 

They are technically vandals, yes, and ideally that's not the way that change happens in a country with the rule of law.

But let's check out the context of the statue -- here is an excerpt from the speech dedicating it.  It is ******* vile stuff so I'm gonna put it behind a spoiler. 

Spoiler

The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God ....

I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a ***** wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head.

- Julian Carr, industrialist and white supremacist.

So yeah, tear that motherfucker down. I'll chip in for legal fees.

(just to bring it home, Brian Walker and Travis Bond played at UNC)

Edited by johnzo

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

Don't forget Postmedia's (the National Post, the Sun, etc.) connection to the National Enquirer. 

http://www.canadalandshow.com/postmedia-david-pecker-donald-trump/

One thing that is never really touched on, the secret recording made by Cohen of him discussing the hush money with Trump, he refers to "matters involving our friend David" and everyone assumes he means David Pecker.  But I've seen it hypothesized that he means David Dennison, Trump's alias in the hush money agreements.  Might be a long shot, but if you assume thats what Cohen means, his phrasing makes more sense.

CNN has a story up about the Manafort trial and how it was almost tossed via mistrial due to jurors discussing the case before deliberations.  And we now know the 10 counts they could not agree on were held back by ONE vote for acquittal.  I cant believe they didnt sequester this jury.

Trump tells FOX that Cohen "flipped" and that flipping should be illegal.  Yikes.  He claimed an impeachment would crash the market and make everyone poor and that the country needs his mind. 

Just now, do or die said:

Republican legislators of all stripes - have been struck deaf and dumb.....well, at least till after the midterms.

This is the dirt worst.  There is no greater indication of their lack of patriotic duty than sitting silent to see which way the winds blow when the President has been outted in a criminal conspiracy to influence the election.  And thats not even related to his clear coziness with Russia and refusal to stop them from influencing another election.

It does show that if the Republicans get pounded in the mid terms, you'll see members start to jump off the Trump Train.  Its disgraceful that so many are neglecting their duty to their citizens and to their nation.  Its gross.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Not only are the results interesting, the straightforward question is too. Not using double-negatives to get the result they want. 

You wouldn't know it from news, and political types, but Americans of all sorts agree on quite a few things. One of them being universal healthcare. 

Neither party interested in delivering it to them.

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Think he regrets  running for president yet?

Attention is attention and he craves ATTENTION. Doesn't matter if it's good or not, in his mind, he's in the right and wants to be the centre of the universe. Right now, more than ever, he is. If he had lost, without all the election fraud, the party would have pushed him aside. 

Edited by JCon