US Politics

Rich

Trump says he accepts US intel on Russia — then adds it ‘could be other people also"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/397481-trump-says-he-accepts-us-intel-on-russia-then-adds-it-could-be-other

A absurd effort at "clarification"    Pretty clear that no one on his staff had anything to do with it - strictly a Trump production.
Parses and wiggles over a single word - as if this changed the entire context - when for 8 months he has talked publicly about "somebody else"   Then compounds this farce, by stepping all over the "clarification" with both feet, by bringing up the "others" narrative yet again.

Watched several news outlets covering this - the anchors and guests were talking about Trump. as if he was a demented child, on one station you could hear a bunch of people giggling in the background , as the tape was being played.

Nobody is going to buy this lame walk back, period.   Every time Trump tries this tactic (see Charlottesville) it just gets worse...... 

I usually comment on this stuff on my own......but yesterday, former CIA Director Michael Hayden completely nailed it:

"The president of the United States will say anything that he believes will suit his needs for the precise moment in which he is located. It is not anchored on anything outside of himself and his immediate needs."

"What you had was, frankly, a hostage video with the president under duress saying what he had to say to meet the needs of the people who, off camera, were making demands"

Pretty sure that most ex and current intelligence guys, are thinking the same thing.....

Edited by do or die

Yup.  I suppose there was a point when it was just politics.  Its not now.  He's clearly compromised.  He has to go. 

*Some* of the pushback from his staff and Republicans makes me think the support for him is more tenuous than it appears.  If Mueller's report has any real evidence of his criminality or collusion/conspiracy, he's toast.  Impeachment will be the least of his concerns.  He'll pull a Nixon and resign (after trying to Pardon himself and likely firing everyone at the DOJ).  He'll get a wink/nudge committment from Pence to pardom him and his kids....and Pence will bow to pressure and wont do it.

Trump will quit and end up trying to put together a new right wing party/media company.  But he'll end up on trial.  He's not that young...he could be dead before it comes to fruition.

He'll realize running for President was the worst mistake of his life (if he hasnt realized that already)

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He'll realize running for President was the worst mistake of his life

He probably could have had less pressure if he hadn't continuously, viciously attacked  the law enforcement/spy agencies, and their leaders. I know nothing about them but from the little they do say, those people seem to really stick together, back each other up and greatly resent that kind of attack. 

Choosing Putin over them, is icing on the cake at this point.

Funny how it's the Republicans that have no problem dealing with enemies,  against the US.

R. Nixon subverted L Johnson's attempts to make peace with N. Vietnam. Less famous incident, but much worse than Watergate.

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

He probably could have had less pressure if he hadn't continuously, viciously attacked  the law enforcement/spy agencies, and their leaders. I know nothing about them but from the little they do say, those people seem to really stick together, back each other up and greatly resent that kind of attack. 

Choosing Putin over them, is icing on the cake at this point.

Funny how it's the Republicans that have no problem dealing with enemies,  against the US.

R. Nixon subverted L Johnson's attempts to make peace with N. Vietnam. Less famous incident, but much worse than Watergate.

As the story goes, Trump expected to lose and was running to raise his profile and leverage it to create a new right wing media group.  I believe it was Kushner who was well into the planning stages when they unexpectedly won.  Even with Russia's help, they didnt think they'd win.  That's why Trump put off the idea of releasing his tax returns - he never expected he'd have to and he wasnt about to reveal that for "no reason".

He was too arrogant to realize he was putting a big fat spotlight on himself and his rich pals.  And also, I think he felt the Presidency was akin to Emperor.  He's likely quite dismayed to learn there are checks and balances and he cant just do whatever he wants (though he tries).

As for his attacks on law enforcement, yes very stupid.  Although as we have learned, even those agents who hated Trump did their jobs.  It was the pro-Trump agents who tried to juice the system in his favour.

Speaking of Kushner, authorities have been trying serve him with papers for 3 months at his residence but have been unsuccessful .....................secret service at work. White House daily press briefing have been few and far between lately guessing nobody wants to get up in front of the press to defend the undefendable. Trump may still be popular with his base but his popularity is sliding.

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Speaking of Kushner, authorities have been trying serve him with papers for 3 months at his residence but have been unsuccessful .....................secret service at work. White House daily press briefing have been few and far between lately guessing nobody wants to get up in front of the press to defend the undefendable. Trump may still be popular with his base but his popularity is sliding.

Hmmm, is it Mueller trying to serve him?  Couldn't he just ask the AG (or his assistant) to walk over the Jared and serve him at work? lol

This November (and 2020) will be a great measure of what America is.  We hope his base is an ever-shrinking collection of racists and morons.  We'll find out...

It's actually weirdly comical...... Trump gets so much pleasure, maybe his greatest enjoyment, from humiliating others, lowest to highest, and is getting profoundly humiliated. Repeatedly.

He's grovelling.

Have to find the good things about Trump where you can, cause there are almost none.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hmmm, is it Mueller trying to serve him?  Couldn't he just ask the AG (or his assistant) to walk over the Jared and serve him at work? lol

This November (and 2020) will be a great measure of what America is.  We hope his base is an ever-shrinking collection of racists and morons.  We'll find out...

I think it has more to do with his real estate holdings, secret service wont allow anyone to serve him actually has been talk about serving him by email or the us postal service, imagine how hard it will to serve Trump if they subpoena him. 

45 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I think it has more to do with his real estate holdings, secret service wont allow anyone to serve him actually has been talk about serving him by email or the us postal service, imagine how hard it will to serve Trump if they subpoena him. 

In the case of Trump, they'll try to have him agree to come in.  If he won't, they'd go to the courts and ask for an order be made.  Trump would then have to go to court to set aside the order.  He might win given the make-up of the Supreme Court, however, Clinton was ordered to be deposed I believe so not sure why they'd let Trump off.

If he starts playing games, especially if Dems make some in-roads in November, I believe Congress can order him to appear as well.

M. Butina might be interesting to follow...... NRA got funding from russia lol.

Read about an American that was a leader in the movement to break up California. He has moved to Russia. Wonder what Putin is doing in canada.

The leader of California separatist group Yes California announced in a 1,600-word statement on Monday that he "intends to make Russia" his "new home" and is therefore withdrawing his petition for a "Calexit" referendum.

Louis Marinelli, who has spearheaded the Calexit campaign since 2015, set up a makeshift embassy in Moscow in December in partnership with far-right Russian nationalists who enjoy Kremlin support while promoting secessionist movements in Europe.

47 minutes ago, do or die said:

Good grief.

Bet  you a dollar Viktor Bout is going to be released and  allowed to return to Russia.

"America held hostage..... the Trump years"

The people around Trump that have been dealing with this daily onslaught on their sanity, I think they've got Stockholm syndrome. 

Edited by Mark F