How Much Rope Should Paul Maurice Get?

IC Khari

Lotsa rope.

We looked really good the first period. A guess the question is what are they going to do come about the 10 game mark if we continue to be a so-so team with near 4GAA then we be looking at possibly Pav to come up and guessing Helle to go down.

Speaking of Conner - the other one, its not looking too good.

As for the D well Buff off to slow start. Myers started like crap but mucho improved lately. He's better when he's thinking offensively.

Morrissey not bad. 5/6 D...who are they again?

Long season tho, give me 5 more games.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

He gets lots of rope. But I agree the lack of preparation is concerning. This isn't a team of kids. Plenty of veterans on this team.

if they lost every game he'd still be around. This is a free pass of a season. And it's too early to tell anyway. 

That game really bothered me though. It shows a scary lack of maturity...or something to play that badly in the biggest game of the new era. 

It shows that coaching might be an issue. Laine made a bad play... Oilers scored. He was kind of benched a bit. Buff plays like crap... Stafford plays like crap... they get more ice time.  It's an issue and sends an interesting but confusing message. Stafford and Lowry on the PP also sends an interesting but confusing message. Coming out flat every 2nd period is similar to a football team who doesn't adjust at the half. I like Maurice but at times he takes to long to adjust and really favors veterans even if they are struggling big time.  But I guess I'll steal a quote from Warren Buffet on success... you can't produce a baby In 1 month by getting 9 girls pregnant. What that means Is success takes time and patience. I don't think Maurice is on the clock but at the same time if nothing improves... pp pk etc by game 25 30... then perhaps we can talk about it a bit more. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

It shows that coaching might be an issue. Laine made a bad play... Oilers scored. He was kind of benched a bit. Buff plays like crap... Stafford plays like crap... they get more ice time.  It's an issue and sends an interesting but confusing message. Stafford and Lowry on the PP also sends an interesting but confusing message. Coming out flat every 2nd period is similar to a football team who doesn't adjust at the half. I like Maurice but at times he takes to long to adjust and really favors veterans even if they are struggling big time.  But I guess I'll steal a quote from Warren Buffet on success... you can't produce a baby In 1 month by getting 9 girls pregnant. What that means Is success takes time and patience. I don't think Maurice is on the clock but at the same time if nothing improves... pp pk etc by game 25 30... then perhaps we can talk about it a bit more. 

I don't like Stafford getting top 6 ice, but at least he has a scoring pedigree, so I guess, I understand him being on the PP.  Lowry??  It makes absolutely no sense for him to ever see a PP second.  I feel bad for Armia having to play on his line.  He sets Lowry up constantly and he can't cash in.

I really believe Copp would be a much better option over Lowry.

14 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I don't like Stafford getting top 6 ice, but at least he has a scoring pedigree, so I guess, I understand him being on the PP.  Lowry??  It makes absolutely no sense for him to ever see a PP second.  I feel bad for Armia having to play on his line.  He sets Lowry up constantly and he can't cash in.

I really believe Copp would be a much better option over Lowry.

Not so much over Lowry but Burmi.

Lowry should be a 4th line center. 

Hes Big he's physical but he can't score. Perfect 4th line center.  Copp has more skill than Lowry. 

Scheif Little Copp Lowry 

Perreault for Little right now but when little back... Perreault should move back to the wing where he's more effective 

Laine Scheif Ehlers 

Perreault Little Wheeler 

Connor Copp Dano 

Tanev Lowry Armia 

YuP no Mathias or Stafford or Burmi cuz they aren't needed 

Edited by Goalie

29 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Hes Big he's physical but he can't score. Perfect 4th line center.  Copp has more skill than Lowry. 

Scheif Little Copp Lowry 

Perreault for Little right now but when little back... Perreault should move back to the wing where he's more effective 

Laine Scheif Ehlers 

Perreault Little Wheeler 

Connor Copp Dano 

Tanev Lowry Armia 

I like those lines.  I don't see Stafford out of the lineup, just yet, but he's been sleep walking thus far, so I agree, we don't need him.  I think I'd switch Dano and Armia... Armia deserves a shot at the 3rd line.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Scheif Little Copp Lowry 

Laine Scheif Ehlers 

Perreault Little Wheeler 

Connor Copp Dano 

Tanev Lowry Armia 

So, that was your other personality telling me he deserved top 6 minutes because he was a proven 20 goal scorer a couple of days ago when I said he was taking time from the younger players and should be traded?

wow...

I think there is a chance Maurice could go this year, but it won't be based on win / loss record, it will be based on how the team looks and responds to his coaching.   If they put up 70 / 80 points but you see the progression in the younger players and the team is still putting out the effort, he will be fine.

But if the losing mounts up and the players start playing like they were under Noel when he was let go, then a change will have to be made.

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think there is a chance Maurice could go this year, but it won't be based on win / loss record, it will be based on how the team looks and responds to his coaching.   If they put up 70 / 80 points but you see the progression in the younger players and the team is still putting out the effort, he will be fine.

But if the losing mounts up and the players start playing like they were under Noel when he was let go, then a change will have to be made.

I think you are right... I think Maurice needs to clean up the penalties, i think he talks a good talk but his actions tend to not really go hand in hand with his talk... he's very much like Noel, where i think he's a great interview but perhaps his actions suggest otherwise, It's funny, if you look at Maurices Career as a head coach and this can't just be coincidence cuz it's happened everywhere he's gone but... the team he coaches has a good year maybe 2 and then they nose dive, fall off a cliff, i wonder at times if his message that he sends to the media and fans is the same one he's sending to the players and perhaps eventually the players see through it, I mean, at this point, when a veteran like stafford or buff plays like crap, what happens is they get to play and play and play... but if a rookie makes a mistake, he sits on the bench for a bit... I don't know how well that goes over with players in the long run. It's one to thing to play favorites but... when you constantly do it, perhaps you lose some of the respect from the players.. You got a guy like Buff for example, struggled like lots so far, but theres no consequences to his struggles, he still plays his 25 30 minutes a night.... lowry on the PP? I mean that right there is crazy, i get what they are doing but if they think LOWRY on the PP with the same group who hasn't got it done for 2 seasons is the answer, that's crazy talk... 

I like Maurice but I'm not sure if he's the right coach for a team who seems to be building towards being  built on speed and skill. And his interview saturday night where he was talking about thorburn and stuart, saying it's a tough choice to not play them in the game tomorrow, well, is it tho? should it be? I don't think it should be a hard choice at all, i mean, is the idea to try to win or is it to play favorites? Cuz right now, it almost looks like Maurice is playing favorites and that's not a good thing for a coach to be doing. All of them do it, but when you have a team built right now for speed and skill, why would you ever think of putting thorburn or stuart back in there. 

Edited by Goalie

Maurice's comment about Stuart and Thorbs not getting in to play the Hertiage Classic bothered me as well. The team needs to put the best team on the ice each game. If Thorburn or Stuart play to that level so be it. If they don't, then that's a problem ...

Maurice goes long long long before Chevy does and if he keeps playing favorites and the pp keeps sucking and the team keeps taking penalties with no consequences it will be sooner rather than later. 

This team has skill out the butt... it's gonna take time for them to gel obviously but things like playing favorites... bad PP.. being unprepared to play... in football terms not making adjustments in game quick enough... no consequences for penalties... well it's on the coach. 

If this was the bombers ppl would want O'shea gone but since it's Maurice and he's a good talker... nope. It's crazy actually.  But should ppl be surprised that a coach with a below 500 winning percentage with history of doing the same old same old isn't the answer?  Wasn't the answer in Hartford or Carolina or Toronto and then sat for years not coaching.... there's a reason for that.... and it's got a lot to do with the fact that coaches with below 500 records don't get hired. 

Edited by Goalie