Jets Training Camp Schedule & Roster

Rich

As a fan, and more so as a STH I'm thrilled with the goalie decision. Maurice said at the end of the year this season was about the best players playing. We can debate about the merits of starting Lowry, but at least Tanev is still here. Morrissey and Connor, too. The future is now and man that's exciting! 

The thing is... if Trouba gets his act together and signs a bridge, or Chevy does Chevy magic and brings in a solid D in a trade - we may be a lot better than many thought we would be. Now. That top 4 D is the only thing holding us back at the moment. 

I think @Atomic's lines are pretty much bang on though I'd have Laine and Connor flipped.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

There will be mistakes with such a young lineup....I think we area  bubble team this year and 50/50 whether we make the playoffs.

Connor Tanev Laine Morrissey are rookies...Ehlers and Armia and Hutch are very new to the league....I am guessing about 93 ponits for the year.

93 would have got us a wildcard last year, Good starts by all above and the Vets and it's possible.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Pavelec on waivers... growing antlers 

/me shakes fist in anger.

I owe Goalie a steak!

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

is there any team in the league right now that is younger than us?

I dont think so after they sent Pav down. EDM might have been close but with their D pickup I think we youngest.

Either we overachieve big time or Nolan Patrick.

On 10/8/2016 at 10:19 PM, Goalie said:

Lol. Hutch has better career nhl numbers than pav does. It's crazy how much some people read in to pre season games. Hutch was fine. 

It's going to be Hutch and Helle this year. Pav will be traded or waived.  It's happening.  You know what you take from these games? Nothing really. Dano and Morrissey stood out tho. Solid games from both. 

Tanev LowryCopp Dano 4th line looks good to me. 

I think Burmistrov Thorburn and Chiarot really struggled tonight tho and have all preseason.  

To get back to the goalies tho... Maurice has said From day 1... 1 game doesn't matter... Pav getting a shutout against the echl version of Calgary doesn't matter. Helle letting in 5 vs nhl team pretty much Edmonton doesn't matter. Same thing with Hutch tonight.  

He's said they will look at their overall body of work... and if you actually do that.... Hutch has better career numbers than pav and so does helle. Pav has no future here. None zilch zero Nadda.  He done. 

Hutch Helle will be the goalies to start the year.  

Ten internet points to Goalie for correctly predicting the goalie situation.

Well I was wrong. Didn't think they'd risk it considering how shaky Helle looked. I wonder if they intend for Pavs to play with the Moose or if they will recall him and see if someone would take him for free at half the salary. 

Pavs must have known since he didn't play. One thing about him, he has been known to sulk. Let's hope he reports to the moose with a great attitude. 

Copp won't be down long. Especially if Lowry doesn't get his **** together. 

Sometimes, and i think Lawless does this also, you have to read between the lines of what Maurice (and his feeling is basically the entire organizations feeling) is saying... and if you did that, Pavelec being sent down was pretty obvious. Honestly, the second i heard Maurice say 1 pre-season game doesn't matter and we will be basing our decision on the entire body of work, well... It was pretty obvious PAV was being sent down or traded or whatever... his time was done. Because if you do like at the entire body of work, like i said before, well, Pavelec has the worst numbers of all of them, here's the deal, some might say i'm surprised they sent pav down because of how shakey helle looked vs Edmonton? Well, fun fact, Pav has several, more than 10, probably closer to 20 games like that a year in the NHL... more maybe... 1 game does not prove anything. But 5 or 6 years of below average by NHL standards goaltending by Pavelec shows you that, yeah Helle might struggle, yeah Hutch might struggle, yeah they will have some bad games and they will have some good games, but you know what? Pavelec had 5 or 6 years to prove he deserved to be a number 1 goaltender, bottom line? he didn't do it and sending him down and moving on  from him now, considering he isn't in their future plans, it's safe to say he's done as a JET for sure now.... it's the right thing to do. It allows the younger goalie the chance to grow with the younger team in front of him. Pavelec wasn't gonna be signed after this contract and that in essence is why he was sent down, he's not part of the future and his past shows you that he's not good enough, Maybe Helle and Hutch might not be good enough either, but Pav has had 5 or 6 years of not being good enough. 

I know it's hard for some to admit, but the bottom line in all this... Pavelec sucks and has sucked for 5 or 6 years... he had 1 good year where his numbers were inflated by a flukey stretch of games, the year we made the playoffs, that was his only good year and it wasn't even a good year, it was a good couple weeks that inflated his numbers.... he went  back to being the below average goalie tho that he has been his entire career and for that matter, the below average goalie he was for most of the season we made the playoffs minus his 2 week stretch where he was just out of this world... but the thing is, if he was just average for most of that season, then he wouldn't have needed to go on a hot streak like that at the end just to make the playoffs. 

This is the right move and I'd imagine, most people are thrilled with the news. This is 1 less player on their roster that isn't good enough. 

Now Thorburn and Stuart are the only 2 left. lol But i understand why they didn't waive them, because you know what, for as much as we like to rip on stu or thorburn, they probably would be claimed, so my guess is thor is probably moved in a trade later this year instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the year or for nothing on waivers, yeah maybe we get a 3rd rd pick back... that's better than nothing.. with Pav, if someone claims him (they won't) and if they do, that's awesome actually, but he won't be so you can risk losing him for nothing cuz he's an asset that has very little to absolutely zero value to any team in the league. 

And honestly, my suspicions about Pavelec became even more clear once maurice after the last game vs Minny, well, he talked about how he liked hutch's positioning, how he basically wasn't flopping around out there, mentioned strong positioning and the positioning argument, well, that's one of Pavelecs major weakness's, his positioning is poor, he has to make the spectacular save because he's out of position so much, where as helle and hutch, they are i guess more boring in net, they don't need to make the spectacular save because... well, because they have better positioning than pavelec does. 

It's a good day for sure. 

Edited by Goalie

I didn't believe it would happen until the last pre-season game and he didn't start.

Color me happy...

Tanev, Connor Morrissey and Laine all start the year as rookies and grow with the team. Lemieux and maybe one other forward will be added before the season ends.

Maurice's probable opening night lines if everyone is healthy...

ESW

Connor Little Stafford

Laine Perreault Armia

Tanev Lowry Thorbs

Enstrom Buff

Morrissey Myers

Stuart Chiarot

Matthias Burmi and Postma sit in the PB.

Hutch Helle

https://www.nhl.com/jets/video/practice--paul-maurice/t-277437442/c-45184203

Listening to Maurice's interview and I think they are going to let the youngsters make their mistakes and grow together. I think it is a great idea to let them make their mistakes now...they have enough veterans with Buff, Myers, Stu, Matthias, Wheels, Little, Thorbs, Staf, Perreault and even Scheif.

Lemieux, Dano and Copp will all be making their case for a call up as well.

This team is going to be fun to watch. I expect the PP to be a bit better and the PK to be much better. I don't think we take the number of penalties as we did last year.

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

This team is going to be fun to watch. I expect the PP to be a bit better and the PK to be much better. I don't think we take the number of penalties as we did last year.

With the talent on this team the puck should be flying around and the team speed is incredible, at least on the first three lines.  I can't wait to watch the PP gel as these guys start firing the puck around the perimeter and setting up the shots.  I expect lots of breakaways too, maybe Ehlers can actually score on a few of them this year. :)