Jets Training Camp Schedule & Roster

Rich

Here's Ken Weibe's opening night line up

But sending him down and playing in a top-six role in the AHL will better prepare him for a call-up than being in and out of the lineup or sitting in the press box in the NHL.

Last but not least, it would appear right-winger Anthony Peluso could be placed on waivers and be sent down if he clears.

For the past couple of seasons, Peluso has been hoping to show he can be more than just an enforcer.

But a shoulder injury limited him to 35 games last season and he could benefit from playing quality minutes in the AHL in order to better prepare him for the next opportunity.

Obviously, the Jets could try to work out a trade with a team facing a salary-cap crunch that could have a ripple effect on the roster.

But until that happens, here's my updated prediction for the Jets' depth chart to open the season:

Forwards

Nikolaj Ehlers-Mark Scheifele-Blake Wheeler

Kyle Connor-Bryan Little-Drew Stafford

Patrik Laine-Mathieu Perreault-Joel Armia

Brandon Tanev-Adam Lowry-Alex Burmistrov/Chris Thorburn

Defence

Josh Morrissey-Dustin Byfuglien

Toby Enstrom-Tyler Myers

Mark Stuart-Ben Chiarot/Paul Postma

Goalies

Connor Hellebuyck

Michael Hutchinson

Ondrej Pavelec

I think he is really close and I hate that second line...
I don't want Staf playing on the same line as Connor....too much of a lack of D on that line even if Little is there. Say what you want about Staf, this team is better off long term without him taking TOI away from players like Armia and Dano.

The Moose will have some good players though.

This is what I would go with...

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler

Connor-Little-Ehlers

Perreault-Copp-Armia

Tanev-Lowry-Dano

Burmi/Thorburn

Morrissey, Buff, Enstrom, Myers, Stuart, Postma and Chiarot.

Helle Hutch

Yeah. Guys that are proven 20 goal scorers are awful. Laine isn't starting on the Scheif line. Not a chance. Noticed I called it the scheif line instead of the 1st line? Why. Because we are in a day and age where sometimes the 3rd line gets more minutes than the 1st. The days of lines 1 2 and 3 are gone. It's now all about having 3 scoring lines and ideally you have 4. 

Some nights the Perreault line will get more minutes than the scheif line. Some nights the little line will get more. 

But staff with little and Connor?  Why not. He's a proven 20 goal scorer and at this momen Is our 2nd best RW behind Wheeler. There's no debating thar even.  It's fact. 

Right now Laine is s lw... so is ehlers.... so is Connor. 2 of the 3 are unproven and 1 is a sophomore. 

Stafford is with little because that's where he deserves to be. 

And yeah this is probably stafford last year with the Jets... but it doesn't take away from the fact that besides wheeler he is our best RW right now.  

Edited by Goalie

As for Connor. .. I like him and think he will be a star one day but that day probably isn't this year. He needs to work on his D zone for sure... just like ehlers did last year. Laine is much better in the d zone than Connor.... you could argue that Laine right now is probably one of our better overall players... he's certainly better than Connor and I would argue he's better than ehlers defensively. I think ehlers has improved his d zone play big time the last year and I still think he had lots of work to do... Connor?  I think he's an offensive machine but I think he's got a ways to go defensively to even catch up to ehlers even. 

Staf is better offensively but I'll take Armia's D game any and every night of the season.

Ehlers can easily replace Staf on the right side and that is where he prefers to play and even Maurice has said that eventually Ehlers will go back to the RW.

You put Laine with Wheeler and Scheif and he pots 30 goals...also, Connor Lttle and Ehlers will give lots of teams trouble.

Stafford needs to go.

Armia isn't a proven player tho. 

Plus Perreault and Armia had some nice chemistry last year. 

I like Laine Perreault Armia.  It's a Damn good line with 3 skilled players. 

I also like Connor Little and Stafford tho. It works. Little and Stafford have some chemistry and Connor brings some finishing ability. 

Our top 9 is pretty good actually.  

Here's the way I see it... Connor Little Stafford is IS IS our what you'd call 3rd line. Laine Perreault Armia is our 2nd. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Just to add ...

Winning a game 9 to 8 is the same as winning 2 to 1. It's 2 points. D zone play Is important but just like football and every other sport.... you win because you score more than the other team. 

True but any coach will tell you that he would rather win the 2-1 game. Not too many 9-8 hockey games in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

I like the LPA line too but I just think it is wiser to play Laine with Scheif and Wheeler. He has shown that he can handle the extra attention he will get and is smart enough defensively to help this line.

He's a 18 yr old rookie. He might and probably will be on Scheifs wing one day but not to start his career 

I can't say I'm that surprised about Copp being sent down.  He had a good finish to last year and a good camp but if you send Lowry down, realistically you are going to lose him and with Copp he does not have to clear waivers so he remains with the organization.  Copp would have had to be like 200% better than Lowry but it was close enough that you have to go with the smart move from an asset management perspective.

I was hoping for more out of Dano.  He was in tough but I can't say he even made the decision a tough one.

We'll see what happens with the goalie situation.  For all Pavelec's flaws, it's always nerve-wracking to put your faith in a new starting goalie.  If Hellebuyck regresses badly, it would be disastrous.  But I've still got high hopes.

Guys that legitimately won spots are Connor and Tanev.  Both could have been sent down but played well in pre-season and secured a spot.

Defence is a trouble spot.  I believe we have the worst depth I've seen since year one with Jets 2.0.  Pardy is available, we should get him back in the fold.  Seriously, he would be a great fit with the Moose and I believe would be a better call-up option than Strait and Melchiori.

Way to go Tanev and nice to see Kyle Connor gets more respect from the team than he does on here...

Way to go Jets on demoting Pavs....HOOWAH!

This team will be a force in a couple of years.

I think Dano becomes a regular before Petan does...De Leo might even be a regular before Petan....i'd say Dano or Copp will be the first forwards called up...this also means that they expect Matthias and Staf to be healthy for the opener.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I can't say I'm that surprised about Copp being sent down.  He had a good finish to last year and a good camp but if you send Lowry down, realistically you are going to lose him and with Copp he does not have to clear waivers so he remains with the organization.  Copp would have had to be like 200% better than Lowry but it was close enough that you have to go with the smart move from an asset management perspective.

I was hoping for more out of Dano.  He was in tough but I can't say he even made the decision a tough one.

We'll see what happens with the goalie situation.  For all Pavelec's flaws, it's always nerve-wracking to put your faith in a new starting goalie.  If Hellebuyck regresses badly, it would be disastrous.  But I've still got high hopes.

Guys that legitimately won spots are Connor and Tanev.  Both could have been sent down but played well in pre-season and secured a spot.

Defence is a trouble spot.  I believe we have the worst depth I've seen since year one with Jets 2.0.  Pardy is available, we should get him back in the fold.  Seriously, he would be a great fit with the Moose and I believe would be a better call-up option than Strait and Melchiori.

In the past this wasn't a given on this team but these two really did make the team on what they did in preseason.