Bombers add five to PR

Jpan85

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/09/20/bombers-add-to-practice-roster/

WINNIPEG, MB., September 20, 2016 –   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added receiver Lonnie Outlaw, defensive back Keith Lewis, defensive tackles Brandon Williams and Erik Williams, and quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson to the practice roster. All players are Internationals.

Outlaw  (6-6, 220, Miles College, born in Rochelle, GA) spent 2015 in the Arena League playing with the Philadelphia Soul. As a rookie that season, he dressed for seven games, hauling in 17 passes for 235 yards and seven touchdowns. In 2013, at Miles College, he posted four touchdowns in six games.

Lewis (6-1, 190, Virginia-Lynchberg, March 28, 1989 in Chicago, IL) was the first player in Virginia-Lynchberg history to be invited to play in the Medal of Honor All-Star Game, and was also a part of the Nationals team at the College All-Star Game, both in 2014. He has spent time in camp with a number of NFL teams.

B. Williams (6-5, 255, Southern Illinois, April 4, 1994 in DuQuoin, IL) played four seasons for the Salukis, lining up at multiple positions in the front seven.  As a senior, he was an All-MCFV honorable mention after leading the team with 10 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also registered 49 tackles that season.

E. Williams (6-3, 270, Bethune-Cookman, August 28, 1991 in Plantation, FL) played four seasons with the Wildcats, appearing in 32 games. In his final year at B-CU, Williams opened up the season with a career best eight tackle, three sack performance.  After going undrafted in 2015, Williams spent time with the Bills.

Bethel-Thompson (6-3, 230, Sacramento State, July 3, 1988 in San Francisco, CA) played for the Hornets from 2008-2010, throwing for 1,322 yards and seven touchdowns in that span. He has spent time in both the AFL and the NFL, most recently with the Eagles, where he was released at the end of the 2016 preseason.

26 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Man Bethal-Thompson has virtually no game experience since High School 250 snaps in college and no regular season snap in NFL but has been around the NFL marry go round since he left college.

no kidding. Its rare to find a guy who kicks around the nfl that long with soo little ncaa experience. The nfl in the modern era puts the greatest importance on 4 year starters. This guy has like half of 1 college experience. It tends to make me think hes one of those guys who looks incredible in practice. 

I started watching his clips and thought this has to be sped up. But no, he just has an incredible, incredible release. Quick, clean footwork too. Shows nice touch down field, arm isnt outstanding but never seems to lack velocity when he throws a bullet pass even when under pressure. Accuracy isnt his strength. Would be more exciting if he was younger or had a decent amount of play in college/pro. I can certainly see why soo many teams have given him a shot though.

Edited by wbbfan

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Can a 6'6'" 230lbs receiver who's not in the NFL catch? That is an important question...

Not bad college numbers but not great, 41-829-2tds 2009, 22-417-10tds 2008. GMC isnt exactly USC, but at his age and size im kind of baffled he hasnt warranted an nfl stint on prs at least. 

Looks good running out of the slot and wr, hands looks good too.  In that clip really uses his hands well. Makes it look easy. Im astounded. His age, speed, size and hands. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

no kidding. Its rare to find a guy who kicks around the nfl that long with soo little ncaa experience. The nfl in the modern era puts the greatest importance on 4 year starters. This guy has like half of 1 college experience. It tends to make me think hes one of those guys who looks incredible in practice. 

I started watching his clips and thought this has to be sped up. But no, he just has an incredible, incredible release. Quick, clean footwork too. Shows nice touch down field, arm isnt outstanding but never seems to lack velocity when he throws a bullet pass even when under pressure. Accuracy isnt his strength. Would be more exciting if he was younger or had a decent amount of play in college/pro. I can certainly see why soo many teams have given him a shot though.

Very Dieter Brock like throwing motion.

Allegedly ran a 4.21 40 in college, 4.35 is the fastest reputable time ive seen. 

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/vul-standout-chases-nfl-dream/article_4ce1b274-a192-11e3-a354-0017a43b2370.html

A great read about him. A guy who out of HS had 30+ scholarship offers, but wasnt academically eligible. Ended up with a 3.2GPA in college. 15 pass deflections as a SR. Played wr, rb, qb, and KR in hs. Big versatile, fast, looks like a hard nosed player too. 

some Vikings fans and media guys liked MBT a lot.     rocket arm. Pretty sure he played in some Vikings games, due to injury problems with their quarterbacks. He was no 2 or 3 there for a little while.

is he related to Ace Balthazar? 

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

some Vikings fans and media guys liked MBT a lot.     rocket arm.

He had a little counter culture / cult following there and in general. Lots of fans of teams disappointing even angry he was let go. Very good arm for sure. Not talking michael bishop arm strength, Well in the tier under that. Which is certainly strong enough to throw any pass you could want short of like 80+ yards. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He had a little counter culture / cult following there and in general. Lots of fans of teams disappointing even angry he was let go. Very good arm for sure. Not talking michael bishop arm strength, Well in the tier under that. Which is certainly strong enough to throw any pass you could want short of like 80+ yards. 

Interesting prospect for sure. I would think at 28 years old we would have to make a call on him sooner rather than later, maybe the end of Dominique Davis after this season?

erik williams most every thing reads about him following in his fathers foot steps. Same HS and college. His dad was a pro bowl DL who racked up 82.5 sacks in the nfl in the 80s/90s. 

Brandon williams sounds like a mos type of player. Played all over the front 7, including nose guard. blocked 5 kicks in his career, including 3 as a senior in back to back to back weeks. 92 tackles, 18 TFL 9.5 sacks and 5 blocked kicks. 4.69 40 37" leap 24 reps at 225. Impressive stuff. Maybe a work out bud for corney and butcher LOL. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Interesting prospect for sure. I would think at 28 years old we would have to make a call on him sooner rather than later, maybe the end of Dominique Davis after this season?

I would imagine it will be one of the two going into camp next year yeah. Davis is kind of similar age and also limited in experience. Though not nearly as heavily as mcleod. Before signing mcleod none of our QBs were under contract for next year last i heard. I wouldnt be surprised to see a heavy turn over next season. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I would imagine it will be one of the two going into camp next year yeah. Davis is kind of similar age and also limited in experience. Though not nearly as heavily as mcleod. Before signing mcleod none of our QBs were under contract for next year last i heard. I wouldnt be surprised to see a heavy turn over next season. 

MBT isn't under contract for next year either.