Devin Setoguchi

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well the story's come out now that when he came to us he expanded his drinking and became a coke-head. Missed meetings...had Schief and Wright cover for him by driving his drunken azz home.

Looks bad on us just as much as it looked bad on him.

How so?

Here is the story by the way, very much worth the read:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/devin-setoguchi-rises-from-rock-bottom-to-earn-another-shot-at-the-nhl

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Already answered this.

Shief and Wright cover for him by driving his drunken azz home.

Then there's whole thing about drug testing or in this case NOT drug testing someone u paying 3m/year.

Driving home a drunk teammate and not ratting him out to management doesn't make anyone other than Seto look bad.  Are you kidding me?  Do you think players should run to the coaches anytime they see their teammates do something bad?  That's ridiculous.

And the team isn't responsible for drug testing and cannot perform drug testing themselves under the CBA.

Thats interesting if true, about Kane.  And he deserves respect for it.  We heard a lot about how Maurice didnt feel the Jets were in good enough shape when he came in.  I guess this is one guy.

Also, I echo the feeling that it wasnt Scheif's place to go to management.  They drove him home.  They did the right thing.  Ladd knew and it sounded like he tried to help, as Captain, contacting Seto's buddies.  I'd bet he talked to management too.  But you cant force someone to get help if they arent ready.

I hope it works out for him.

One thing, he said he was first offered cocaine in Winnipeg.  I wonder who offered it to him....

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats interesting if true, about Kane.  And he deserves respect for it.  We heard a lot about how Maurice didnt feel the Jets were in good enough shape when he came in.  I guess this is one guy.

Also, I echo the feeling that it wasnt Scheif's place to go to management.  They drove him home.  They did the right thing.  Ladd knew and it sounded like he tried to help, as Captain, contacting Seto's buddies.  I'd bet he talked to management too.  But you cant force someone to get help if they arent ready.

I hope it works out for him.

One thing, he said he was first offered cocaine in Winnipeg.  I wonder who offered it to him....

Probably a D man who is no longer a Jet. Just a guess 

Edited by Goalie

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

they said E Kane came over to  his place and poured out every ounce of booze he had. Am I wrong for being surprised that Kane didn't "confiscate" it for later? ....Or call over a bunch of crazy women and have a party...?

Not that I think you're making it up, but where did you see that in the story? It sounds interesting.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

From the Freep, "I found a guy off the street, I put him in my phone book and every day it just got to the point where I’d start drinking and I’d want to do drugs. That’s just kind of where it went,"

19 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Not that I think you're making it up, but where did you see that in the story? It sounds interesting.

from the article in the Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/setoguchis-road-to-ruin-392834081.html

"They knew I was kind of in a tight spot, they knew something wasn’t right," he told TSN 1290. "Thorbs (Chris Thorburn) came over a couple of times. Kaner (Evander Kane) even came over a couple of times and dumped booze right out of my house. The guys were all good.

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

From the Freep, "I found a guy off the street, I put him in my phone book and every day it just got to the point where I’d start drinking and I’d want to do drugs. That’s just kind of where it went,"

And on the follow-up interview with 1290, he reiterated that it didn't come from anyone on the team.  He was asked about usage league-wide and didn't seem to have a guess to how many are using.  All-in-all it's a story of a guy who got himself in a dark place personally, and used drugs and alcohol to cope. At least he's sober again now, and seemingly taking full responsibility for his actions. I admire his candidness. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

And on the follow-up interview with 1290, he reiterated that it didn't come from anyone on the team.  He was asked about usage league-wide and didn't seem to have a guess to how many are using.  All-in-all it's a story of a guy who got himself in a dark place personally, and used drugs and alcohol to cope. At least he's sober again now, and seemingly taking full responsibility for his actions. I admire his candidness. 

2nd chances can be a good thing.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems like there wasnt a focus on fitness until Maurice got there.

More about character than anything. Jets have been preaching character guys from day 1. Seto doesn't really fit that unless he hid it from Minnesota also. Guess it's possible 

You guys that are implying Bogo got Seto on coke...the first time you had a smoke, alcohol, weed or any other drug, did someone tie you up and make you take it? He is/was a grown man and responsible for his actions. You are sober when you take the first drink/puff/hit whatever.

As to Kane keeping the booze for later, I don't think he drinks, does he?

35 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You guys that are implying Bogo got Seto on coke...the first time you had a smoke, alcohol, weed or any other drug, did someone tie you up and make you take it? He is/was a grown man and responsible for his actions. You are sober when you take the first drink/puff/hit whatever.

As to Kane keeping the booze for later, I don't think he drinks, does he?

No. He just goes to bars to dance.