2016 Jets RFAs

Ducky

To bring this back to Trouba a little bit.  I do think it's odd that when Scheifs signed his new deal and when Laine was taken at the draft for that matter... Wheeler Ehlers .. Jets who use social media congratulated them. Trouba did not. Perhaps it's just coincidence but it's strange behavior. I hope that the jets can sign trouba to a reasonable deal... by reasonable I mean 5.5 or less on a 6 or 7 year deal... if not... perhaps trading him would be for the best. 

It would also be very interesting to know what the jets think his ceiling is cuz I do tend to think that perhaps trouba is a bit over rated by a segment of the fans 

Edited by Goalie

Trouba's only tweeted a few times in 2016 - I wouldn't worry about that.

He may be overrated by some - but most comments I see from fans seem pretty legit:

- He's not worth the $6.5/$7M supposed ask from his agent, we know this. (But is that # really the ask? Is it the final ask? - it's negotiation & media speculation, mostly. IMO)

- While he may not be worth that much, how much nickle & diming do you do with a 23 yr old D whose already played 200+ games in a top 4 role?

- Jets hold all the cards, and won't (or shouldn't) be rushed into a deal / decision.

I still think Trouba is a Jet long-term and have faith that if he does need to be dealt, the return will be a good one. 

It was very telling when Sheif said he wasn't involved in the negotiations much right until the end. Same is likely true with Trouba.

There is so much we don't know about the negotiations, like what was offered and what was requested.

So much of what happens here may have depended on where the Sheif negotiations went. If that's a starting point, then Trouba could follow really quickly now.

As far as we know, the term and figure has been negotiated and all they're talking now is the timing of the payments.

Exactly.

Main reason I shake my head when fans say "Trouba wants this" or "Trouba's demanding that". It's the agents! It's them doing their job and trying to put the very best offer in front of their client. For most, I would think, best = most money / term. 

Market for player's similar to Trouba + Jets in control - likelihood of an offer sheet = Trouba's a Jet to open the season. 

Solid deals. Both at about what was expected. Under 1 million for Armia I'd fair. Just over for Lowry is ok. Lowry needs to show lots of improvement these ext 2 years cuz a guy like roslovic and petan and even copp and Burmi will be pushing him. 

Edited by Goalie

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Solid deals. Both at about what was expected. Under 1 million for Armia I'd fair. Just over for Lowry is ok. Lowry needs to show lots of improvement these ext 2 years cuz a guy like roslovic and petan and even copp and Burmi will be pushing him. 

Lots of faith to give Armia one way.

Good deals and I'm glad they're done.

I think Lowry can be our 3rd line centre but he needs to bounce back from last season.

Armia? Who knows. Haven't seen enough at the NHL level to warrant a one-way, IMO, but they probably got a small discount.

32 minutes ago, Rich said:

I find it unlikely they will be sending Armia down anyway.   He is no longer waiver exempt.

He would very likely get picked up on waivers by somebody.

Maybe he would.  But there are only so many spots to go around.  Would you rather send down a better player just because he is waiver exempt?  Sure way to build a losing team.  

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Maybe he would.  But there are only so many spots to go around.  Would you rather send down a better player just because he is waiver exempt?  Sure way to build a losing team.  

Well, you dont want to lose a player you value either.  If Petan and Armia are similar levels of play, you're sending down Petan.  Even if he's slightly better probably.  He'd have to be a lot better.  I'd say the contract shows the Jets feel Armia can make the team or at worst be the 13th forward.  Or he's included in a trade.

Good job Chevy.  Expecting big things out of both of these guys this year, in the bottom six.  Both are key guys on the third and fourth lines.  Armia adds a lot of skill, hope he can play with Copp again this year, as Copp really seemed to pick up his game with Armia on his wing instead of Thorbs.