Chamblin

Floyd

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If you fire O'Shea it'll be either Hall or Lapo taking over don't kid yourselves. 

The only guy as I said in the other thread that could be a HC and maybe control the disaster would be Higgins.  

A hot head like Chamblin would be terrible ,  even if he came in to replace Hall.     

Need someone with positive experience and who wouldn't be way over his head .

51 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Higgins got shish-kabobed in MTL. by Popp, he never had a chance.

Higgins may not be the reincarnation of Bud Grant or Hugh Campbell but he's a whole lot better than recycled sludge like Marshall, Daley, Burke, etc. or a hothead like Chamblin.

He's certainly well versed in all aspects of the game (including officiating) and might provide a stern interim presence if Miller is backed into a convoluted corner and forced to dispatch O'Shea.....

If O'Shea gets his neck severed I'd have no problem with Tom Higgins packing his go-bag and coming to Winnipeg.

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

itemprop

Time for Bud Grant to come out of retirement! 

haha omg xD I could see him shambling down to that locker toom to tear a strip off these young whipper snappers. 

1 hour ago, Root said:

I think the man you're referring to is TOM HIGGINS

Thatd probably be about the best of whats out there yeah. I just wouldnt want to automatically saddle up to him in the off season. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Higgins got shish-kabobed in MTL. by Popp, he never had a chance.

didnt they fire his oc in TC?

Just now, wbbfan said:

haha omg xD I could see him shambling down to that locker toom to tear a strip off these young whipper snappers. 

Thatd probably be about the best of whats out there yeah. I just wouldnt want to automatically saddle up to him in the off season. 

didnt they fire his oc in TC?

Yah, before the season even started, Rick Worman I think.  Higgins also lost 3 QB's in game one.

There are some really good coaches in our league - Chris Jones, Rick Campbell, John Hufnagel, Wally Buono, Kent Austin and perhaps Scott Milanovich.

At one point all of them (perhaps not Buono) were available to the bombers.

Bit of an exercise in futility but how would any of these fellas fare with the current bomber roster - and with virtual rookies Miller and Walters above them?

Personally - with Jones there'd be fireworks every day, Campbell might have been a better hire but as he was always known as a slightly above average assistant, Hufnagel might have struggled without smart quarter-backing like Dickenson, Mitchell, Glenn, etc. but he would have made a definitive decision on Willy within a year and a bit - not 3 years; Austin would have been like Jones - either giving Miller a heart attack with his unique demeanour or having one himself; Milanovich might have been a decent choice but he had no head coaching experience prior to his appointment in Toronto.

I think the most recent (and critical) turning point for the organization was during the time Old Paul Robson told the board to hire a guy he remembered from way back (ie. the Cal Murphy era) a bird-dog named Joe Mack vs. a guy who showed up for his interview 100+ lbs. overweight and wearing sandals (Jim Barker)..... in hindsight Barker would have easily surpassed Mack as a recruiter of players and an assembler of coaching staffs. In a pinch Barker can even coach. BUT THAT WAS THE DAY BUDDY HOLLY DIED - in this town!

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah, before the season even started, Rick Worman I think.  Higgins also lost 3 QB's in game one.

Yep worman. Fired in preseason in 2014. Reading about the dicking around and quick changes that happened with offensive coaches is crazy. Worman, schonert, garcia, calvillo and dinwiddie. Shuffle shuffle shuffle. 

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Chamblin, Higgins. This site is too much. Lets just hire Mike Kelly and call it a day.

Yea sad thing is Kelly ain't much worse as  a HC than Mos, if you look at their coaching record Kelly's is better and without a QB as well. What a joke we have become sigh.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Yea sad thing is Kelly ain't much worse as  a HC than Mos, if you look at their coaching record Kelly's is better and without a QB as well. What a joke we have become sigh.

Boooo. No, wait. Arrggh- its true, its true.

I'm not sure that I even care about what happens for the rest of this year (barring a miraculous turnaround).

But in the absence of miracles, in the off-season I'd like to see us go after:

ORLONDO STEINAUER

Assistant Head Coach & Defensive Coordinator

Orlondo Steinauer was promoted to Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator of the Tiger-Cats on May 27, 2016. He originally joined the organization as Defensive Coordinator on January 3, 2013 and enters his fourth season with the team on the heels of a near historic defensive performance by his group in 2015.

Last season, the Tiger-Cats scored eight touchdowns on defence, including six interception returns and two fumble returns for majors. The eight defensive touchdowns was the second highest total in franchise history (10 – 1971), exactly double the amount produced by the next closest CFL team in 2015, and nearly one quarter of the defensive touchdowns generated by the entire league. The unit’s six interception return touchdowns was just one shy of the CFL record set by the Toronto Argonauts in 2006, a team that Steinauer played on.

Hamilton’s defence also accounted for the league’s most takeaways (52), points off turnovers (184), most interceptions (tie-26) and most turnovers on downs (15) in 2015

and, if we can Walters, then probably:

Brock Sunderland is in his third year as the Assistant General Manager for the Ottawa REDBLACKS.  In this role, he will be involved in every facet of football operations, including the negociation of player contracts and assisting with the salary cap.  He’ll also coordinate the REDBLACKS scouting department and will play a vital role in helping prep the team for the Expansion Draft, CFL Draft, and finding players to build the team’s roster. The upcoming 2015 season will be Sunderland’s 12th in pro football.

Before joining the REDBLACKS, he spent six seasons with the New York Jets in the NFL.  While with the Jets, Sunderland served as a pro scout for four years.  In that role, he evaluated players from every level of professional football, including the NFL, CFL, and all Arena Leagues.   Along with these duties, he also served as an advance scout, preparing reports for the Jets’ upcoming opponents. Most recently, he was a college scout for two years and covered the western region of the U.S. for the Jets.

I'm not a Higgens fan, he hasn't done anything in years.

Edited by Fred C Dobbs
sorry, can't get the formatting right lately.

9 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

I'm not sure that I even care about what happens for the rest of this year (barring a miraculous turnaround).

But in the absence of miracles, in the off-season I'd like to see us go after:

So you want to hire more rookies to be HC and GM?  If this were to happen, I'd want someone who's not a rookie.  Who that is, I don't know.

I'd love Trestman to come back to the CFL, but I doubt he'd do that unless we threw gobs of money at him.

Chamblin would be the absolute worst thing we could do. That would be such a typical bombers move, though. O'shea survives the year because no interim coach would magically turn us into GC Champs. But the HC next year could be Thorpe, that seems logical to me. I'm in the extreme minority but I like O'Shea and wouldn't be as suicidal as most people if he gets another chance with us. I firmly believe he hasn't lost the room. Kyle Walters has been a dud on every level including GM, in my mind. We just have no depth anywhere besides maybe linebacker, who haven't lived up to expectations either. For some "canadian guru" he's had pretty weak second round selections in his time and Waggoner is certainly nothing special (although it's still early for him). We just should've just overpaid for Muamba (which is something I never thought I'd say)

Edited by Judd

1 hour ago, Judd said:

Chamblin would be the absolute worst thing we could do. That would be such a typical bombers move, though. O'shea survives the year because no interim coach would magically turn us into GC Champs. But the HC next year could be Thorpe, that seems logical to me. I'm in the extreme minority but I like O'Shea and wouldn't be as suicidal as most people if he gets another chance with us. I firmly believe he hasn't lost the room. Kyle Walters has been a dud on every level including GM, in my mind. We just have no depth anywhere besides maybe linebacker, who haven't lived up to expectations either. For some "canadian guru" he's had pretty weak second round selections in his time and Waggoner is certainly nothing special (although it's still early for him). We just should've just overpaid for Muamba (which is something I never thought I'd say)

Chamblin may never get another CFL head coach opportunity - such was the toxic combination of arrogance and desecration in Sask. - but he's obviously not as bad as guff like Reinbold, Daley, John Huard, Tim Burke, Tedford, etc. Moot point - Miller would never hire him for one obvious reason anyways. Walters, now under the microscope and we're quickly finding out his big draft pick from a couple years back (Goosen) hasn't developed properly, the Waggoner thing looks like an epic fail for giving up a #2 overall pick. His American scouting group appears paralyzed, not much quality.

I don't care if you guys agree with me or not. But on this one point, speaking from the heart as a Rider fan, FFS don't even consider Chamblin. I wouldn't let that arrogant prick fill up the water bottles. He is a idiot, period..  I'm not a big Ritchie Hall fan, but he knows his stuff but his schemes are heavily dependant on personal. His defense doesn't work without big pressure up front. His 2007 and 2013 grey cup rings had ferocious front 4's on them. The premise is pressure causing mistakes by qb leading to turnovers. Bombers secondary is a weak spot on your team, the coverage is just not there guys and neither has the pressure been. Hall is a sitting duck and will be fired by MOS in a attempt to save his own butt.   

16 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I don't care if you guys agree with me or not. But on this one point, speaking from the heart as a Rider fan, FFS don't even consider Chamblin. I wouldn't let that arrogant prick fill up the water bottles. He is a idiot, period..  I'm not a big Ritchie Hall fan, but he knows his stuff but his schemes are heavily dependant on personal. His defense doesn't work without big pressure up front. His 2007 and 2013 grey cup rings had ferocious front 4's on them. The premise is pressure causing mistakes by qb leading to turnovers. Bombers secondary is a weak spot on your team, the coverage is just not there guys and neither has the pressure been. Hall is a sitting duck and will be fired by MOS in a attempt to save his own butt.   

Technically, Richie Hall's 2007 ring is not because of a great front four... its because Kevin Glenn broke his hand.

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Technically, Richie Hall's 2007 ring is not because of a great front four... its because Kevin Glenn broke his hand.

Bomber point of view probably. Rider point of view is it wouldn't have mattered. Truth probably somewhere in the middle

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Bomber point of view probably. Rider point of view is it wouldn't have mattered. Truth probably somewhere in the middle

Riders won 07 on the basis of Dinwiddie making 4 rookie mistakes that Glenn was unlikely to have made given the season he was having. Dinwiddie was always a gambler and with his arm sometime he got burned. Also Charles Roberts ****** the team that day too but I do think Glenn would have overcome that particular issue.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Riders won 07 on the basis of Dinwiddie making 4 rookie mistakes that Glenn was unlikely to have made given the season he was having. Dinwiddie was always a gambler and with his arm sometime he got burned. Also Charles Roberts ****** the team that day too but I do think Glenn would have overcome that particular issue.

Fair points, but you have to agree that any given game is a collection of events and momentum. To say the game would have ended          differently If Glenn plays isn't true. Would the Bombers chances been a lot better if he starts? Absolutely. Hate to break a Bomber folklore but Glenn hasn't exactly been a big game performer over his career. Are you 100% sure he would have stepped up and won that game for you guys? That's not a shot or dig but just a discussion point. 

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Fair points, but you have to agree that any given game is a collection of events and momentum. To say the game would have ended          differently If Glenn plays isn't true. Would the Bombers chances been a lot better if he starts? Absolutely. Hate to break a Bomber folklore but Glenn hasn't exactly been a big game performer over his career. Are you 100% sure he would have stepped up and won that game for you guys? That's not a shot or dig but just a discussion point. 

hank wasnt a big game performer either. Once upon a time AC was cut etc. We cant say 100% what would have happened if we changed the past. Its football things happen. With glenn it would have been a different game but could have been the same out come. in 2001 we were hands down better then calgary. Id say top to bottom. But we lost. If that team can lose to that stamps team (crandell was a journeymen and kinda avg starter too) while being pretty much healthy any thing can happen. 

I think if we play that game 10 times with 100% healthy rosters the bombers would win 7 times against sask. But when it came down to it, we didnt. Doesnt matter what would happen the hypothetical times, only on game day. 9.9999 times out of 10 the milt beats edmonton on the last play of the game (clutch glenn) doesnt happen. Same with the khari to arland bruce come back in calgary. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

hank wasnt a big game performer either. Once upon a time AC was cut etc. We cant say 100% what would have happened if we changed the past. Its football things happen. With glenn it would have been a different game but could have been the same out come. in 2001 we were hands down better then calgary. Id say top to bottom. But we lost. If that team can lose to that stamps team (crandell was a journeymen and kinda avg starter too) while being pretty much healthy any thing can happen. 

I think if we play that game 10 times with 100% healthy rosters the bombers would win 7 times against sask. But when it came down to it, we didnt. Doesnt matter what would happen the hypothetical times, only on game day. 9.9999 times out of 10 the milt beats edmonton on the last play of the game (clutch glenn) doesnt happen. Same with the khari to arland bruce come back in calgary. 

1976, he who won't be named catches a pass and we lose the grey cup. 2009, too many on the field and we lose. tons of heart break        storeys. I firmly believe life is a collection of events, if you change one thing, everything changes. But on the flipside changing one thing doesn't change everything. No way anyone could know how things would have turned out if Glenn plays that game

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

1976, he who won't be named catches a pass and we lose the grey cup. 2009, too many on the field and we lose. tons of heart break        storeys. I firmly believe life is a collection of events, if you change one thing, everything changes. But on the flipside changing one thing doesn't change everything. No way anyone could know how things would have turned out if Glenn plays that game

Pretty much. Every thing changes but you never know if that change is for the better or worse. Thats the beauty of sports. Any thing is possible in any given game.