Wrestling

Rich

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Starts with WWE. 

Great career. Such a good wrestler. 

Side note: I remember hunkering down for all 12 hours of that Wrestlemania at buddy's place. Good times. Pretty sure we got a bag of McDonald's cheeseburgers, which were $1.09 on Sunday's (I think). We made pizza on the BBQ, drank and smoked. 

From what I've read about Storm he was a real good guy ,  very hard working and was one of the few ECW and WWE guys who lived a completely clean life.   No drinking / drugs / partying,  took the business very seriously.    Also very easy to work with and a perfectionist.  I'm surprised they didn't hire him to teach the young talent. 

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From what I've read about Storm he was a real good guy ,  very hard working and was one of the few ECW and WWE guys who lived a completely clean life.   No drinking / drugs / partying,  took the business very seriously.    Also very easy to work with and a perfectionist.  I'm surprised they didn't hire him to teach the young talent. 

They treated Storm like they treat Cesaro. Super talented but never gets a push in singles competition. Instead we're stuck with wrestlers like Baron Corbin who no one can stand. 

14 hours ago, JCon said:

Storm was great but never sold PPVs. Great wrestler but not dynamic enough on the mic to be a top tier wrestler. You need both to be the champ or be extra, extra special in one. 

Great wrestler but pro wrestling isn't about how good of a wrestler you are. Its about character and charisma. I enjoyed Lance, good dude who i met years ago when super young, probably the nicest of all wrestlers ive met and ive met a few (punk kofi Jake the snake to name a few) but he lacked character and charisma. Actually met bret and owen years ago, both really nice also. Met mark henry, kind of a dink, and several others. Actually when i think about it.. The Canadian born guys were the nicest by far. 

Edited by Goalie

Generally you need to both be a good wrestler and have charisma (character, promo, presence) to be a top guy.  Even in the 80’s with Hogan on top, Flair was on top in the NWA.  WWE was the big man’s league but many of Hogan’s biggest drawing programs were with really good workers (like Savage). 

Today it would be pretty hard to be a top guy without also being a really good worker. 

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Generally you need to both be a good wrestler and have charisma (character, promo, presence) to be a top guy.  Even in the 80’s with Hogan on top, Flair was on top in the NWA.  WWE was the big man’s league but many of Hogan’s biggest drawing programs were with really good workers (like Savage). 

Today it would be pretty hard to be a top guy without also being a really good worker. 

Savage had tons of charisma & wasn't just a good worker. He was a top guy for nearly 15 years.  His storyline with Miss Elizabeth His feuding with Hogan. The craziness of his character. The way he cut promos & his work on the mic. All excellent. I was a big fan. Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh!!

1 hour ago, ediger said:

You always know WWE has hit the skids when RAW comes to town.

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Think it would have to do more with how well the house shows do here

Bit of both.  lol   WWE came here more when house show business was down because Winnipeg was always a really strong revenue-per-person town (ie. tickets, merch).  When house shows exploded, Winnipeg was still good but other places were better and with the US dollar and easier trans, they came to Winnipeg less.  

Another big issue with Winnipeg is getting TV trucks in here and then out to the next town they want to run TV.  Thats why in 2005 (I think), they did both RAW & SD here (and sold them both out which was amazing).  In the 90's, when they added the In Your House PPV's, they had a Winnipeg date already so kept it for the PPV and ran Brandon, as I recall, for RAW and Brandon is awful for wrestling.

After the double shot TV in 2005, it was believed WWE would be back quickly for TV, but they werent.  When the new arena opened, I remember Bob Holiday (then the local WWE promoter) saying they'd be here for TV when it opened and they werent.  Just the economics and trans.  

Id suspect they're coming back because their house show business is down, but Winnipeg is still strong, their TV show attendance is also down so they probably see Winnipeg as an easy sell out and a hot crowd.   I sort of wonder if coming to the hometown of Kenny & Jericho factored into it lol (maybe they're aware of an AEW Canadian tour...?).  It might sound silly, but WWE would absolutely bring TV to a city they dont go to often if they thought the competition might.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Bit of both.  lol   WWE came here more when house show business was down because Winnipeg was always a really strong revenue-per-person town (ie. tickets, merch).  When house shows exploded, Winnipeg was still good but other places were better and with the US dollar and easier trans, they came to Winnipeg less.  

Another big issue with Winnipeg is getting TV trucks in here and then out to the next town they want to run TV.  Thats why in 2005 (I think), they did both RAW & SD here (and sold them both out which was amazing).  In the 90's, when they added the In Your House PPV's, they had a Winnipeg date already so kept it for the PPV and ran Brandon, as I recall, for RAW and Brandon is awful for wrestling.

After the double shot TV in 2005, it was believed WWE would be back quickly for TV, but they werent.  When the new arena opened, I remember Bob Holiday (then the local WWE promoter) saying they'd be here for TV when it opened and they werent.  Just the economics and trans.  

Id suspect they're coming back because their house show business is down, but Winnipeg is still strong, their TV show attendance is also down so they probably see Winnipeg as an easy sell out and a hot crowd.   I sort of wonder if coming to the hometown of Kenny & Jericho factored into it lol (maybe they're aware of an AEW Canadian tour...?).  It might sound silly, but WWE would absolutely bring TV to a city they dont go to often if they thought the competition might.

This is pretty much how I feel. My original comment was more of a joke based on the 15 year wait and what TV attendance was looking like last time they came and how it's looking now. You'd think that we'd be able to land a tv taping every 4-5 years or so. But yeah, there are logistical issues with getting the trucks into town. I suppose that's not as big of a problem now with Smackdown no longer being taped on Tuesday.

I also think AEW is factored into this. Their ratings in Canada have been really strong, around Smackdown numbers a few times. Tony Kahn mentioned recently that they would be doing Canadian shows in 2020 and I have to imagine Winnipeg is a strong contender for one of the first shows. I could even see Toronto landing the first Canadian PPV and Winnipeg the first TV or something like that. Winnipeg is underserved by the WWE and if AEW starts running TV shows here, Winnipeg could easily become an "AEW town". If WWE feels the same, it's definitely fits their MO to put a bigger show here than normal to try to maintain their hold on the market.

I miss the old AWA shows at the Arena & the TV tapings here on Global. They'd tape a month's worth in one day. Then have another house show a month later at the Arena & do it all over again. They used to draw 12-13,000 for a lot of those shows at the Arena. Ah, the 80's.  Bockwinkel vs Flair Jan 16, 1986 at the Winnipeg Arena. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I miss the old AWA shows at the Arena & the TV tapings here on Global. They'd tape a month's worth in one day. Then have another house show a month later at the Arena & do it all over again. They used to draw 12-13,000 for a lot of those shows at the Arena. Ah, the 80's.  Bockwinkel vs Flair Jan 16, 1986 at the Winnipeg Arena. 

I remember going to the arena with my stepfather to watch AWA. Winnipeg Arena was packed. 

Doubt AEW would run Bell tho. I wonder if they wait until the new Ice rink is done, seems to be more of their style to run smaller buildings. AEW averages about 125000 viewers on TSN last i checked. That's good? 

Edited by Goalie