Wrestling

Rich

On 2019-12-15 at 7:49 PM, Brandon said:

It was pretty obvious that Demolition was a knock off of the Road Warriors.

Absolutely.  As I recall the story is Vince tried like crazy to sign the Road Warriors, to no avail, and decided to create his own.  But Demolition really became big stars in their own right.   Recall the Powers of Pain came in (another Road Warriors knockoff) and were used to turn Demolition face.  

Demolition is on the do not call list as Vince and Ax have had issues for years over the gimmick.  I think Ax said he was made promises over it (and used Ax The Demolisher) on the indies for awhile) and was part of a law suit.  I *think* whatever happened, Ax is allowed to use the gimmick as I've seen Demolition work indies (they did Winnipeg, even) without the cease & desist.  Ax & Smash were also not happy when Road Warriors were signed and immediately went over on them.

They should totally be in the HOF though.  They'd be super over.

3 hours ago, ediger said:

So it appears that RAW at MTS Centre is not selling as quickly as I expected. Upper deck sections are only being used as needed. So far only three have been opened up with most of the seats in those sections still available. It's a long way to a sell out, which I thought would be all but guaranteed.

That’s a major indictment of the product.  Aren’t prices crazy though?  TV rarely sells out so I don’t think wwe will assume a sell out but they won’t be very happy and they likely won’t be back if they don’t do a big number.  

but lots of time left. Maybe they’ll send some guys here for some PR.  

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s a major indictment of the product.  Aren’t prices crazy though?  TV rarely sells out so I don’t think wwe will assume a sell out but they won’t be very happy and they likely won’t be back if they don’t do a big number.  

but lots of time left. Maybe they’ll send some guys here for some PR.  

There were a number of $30 seats in the lower deck initially but the seats currently available in the upper deck are around $60. Not too crazy considering they're the sections directly in beside the entrance ramp and ring. Overall the prices were pretty decent, I suppose to try to move as many as possible. There's some insane prices for VIP packages. There's still some $750 VIP floor seats available 🤣

Like you said though, still some time to sell tix. Gotta imagine there will be people with Christmas money that will grab some. That being said, we're talking about 5,000 unsold tickets or so if what I'm assuming is correct. That's a lot to sell after the initial rush is over.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

It was like they tried to put too much on show.

I think they’ve butted up against that issue a bit.   They’ve had angles during commercial breaks.  They need to let things breath.  We were just seeing a dispute between Kenny and page and suddenly pac is on the screen and it’s forgotten. 

they have three “join us” angles going on plus Dark Order and Brandis group are similar anyway.  And Brandi comes across as Brandi Rhodes playing a character rather than seeming natural.  

ive long said they do too many long matches especially with people who aren’t over yet.  Case in point, Swole’s debut last week. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

AEWs ending is not gonna draw viewers back in a couple of weeks. 

Nope. Not at all. They also announced Cody vs Darby which should have been something announced at the show and had a reason.  

having a not over tag team gimmick made up mostly of random hooded jobbers killing you’re top guys is....well, a very very bad idea.  I think I know who’s idea it was...very bad.  Kenny should have vetoed being any part of it.  Although his running v trigger was the best part.  

on the flip side nxt more or less shotgunned an angle and it paid off. People wanted to see Ripley win.  The only thing on AEW we really wanted to see was Jericho vs jungle boy.  There are too many shades of grey. Bucks vs SCU is going to be good but why am I emotionally committed to it?  Because it will be athletic?   Not enough.  

I feel AEW has done very little to showcase the elite talent they have like Omega who was the hottest thing a year ago, to the average viewer he looks like just another guy now. Missed opportunity. Losses to Jericho Moxley Neville doesn't help. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I feel AEW has done very little to showcase the elite talent they have like Omega who was the hottest thing a year ago, to the average viewer he looks like just another guy now. Missed opportunity. Losses to Jericho Moxley Neville doesn't help. 

I didn’t mind it with Kenny so much because I know Kenny would be the first one lobbying for others.  And the problem is if you treat Kenny the way he should be then he has to be world champion.  But Jericho as champ was the right call.   

kenny got screwed a bit with PAC it coming in and then Mox getting hurt.  But those are two high profile programs. But I agree they can’t be using all the elite to try and shot gun lower card guys up.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing with masked jobbers killing them all.   

I almost think they’re being too cute.  Lucha bros should be beating guys and winning the tag belts.  Jericho vs Mox is good.  If they’re going to turn page so it so he can work with Kenny and Cody.   They sort of need a secondary title I think. 

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I didn’t mind it with Kenny so much because I know Kenny would be the first one lobbying for others.  And the problem is if you treat Kenny the way he should be then he has to be world champion.  But Jericho as champ was the right call.   

I also think they are being mindful that they (the elite and cody) as bookers, don't come across as being too WCW-ish by putting themselves over rather than trying to elevate others. 

It's a tough balancing act because, at this point, they are head and shoulders above everyone else (with a couple exceptions). 

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I also think they are being mindful that they (the elite and cody) as bookers, don't come across as being too WCW-ish by putting themselves over rather than trying to elevate others. 

It's a tough balancing act because, at this point, they are head and shoulders above everyone else (with a couple exceptions). 

I know they have said they don’t need writers and they certainly don’t need writers like wwe.  But there are many good boomers all over North America that could help them edit the stories.  

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes. Still a sell out. In fact it basically sold out in 15 minutes with no matches announced.   Sell outs are rare.  Wwe sold out survivor series in Chicago but none of their other events in Chicago that week.  It’s an accomplishment.  

Didn't they sell out that indy event they held in Chicago last year?