Wrestling

Rich

So, Lana & Lashley are supposedly ******* themselves in a storyline. The WWE is against bullying yet every heel talks & acts like a bully. No one says anything about the exploitaion of women in wrestling yet get bent out of shape about this? I mean, how many black athletes does the WWE employ & I've never heard of anyone in the modern era complain about racism publicly . However, TUP would probably know a lot better than me as he is in the wrestling business. I'm sure there have been incidents among the wrestlers themselves because of where everyone is from but Vince has always given wrestlers of colour a chance. There have been racist in ring characters like Kamala  that make you cringe but deliberately selling items that are racist are "bad for business". 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, Lana & Lashley are supposedly ******* themselves in a storyline. The WWE is against bullying yet every heel talks & acts like a bully. No one says anything about the exploitaion of women in wrestling yet get bent out of shape about this? I mean, how many black athletes does the WWE employ & I've never heard of anyone in the modern era complain about racism publicly . However, TUP would probably know a lot better than me as he is in the wrestling business. I'm sure there have been incidents among the wrestlers themselves because of where everyone is from but Vince has always given wrestlers of colour a chance. There have been racist in ring characters like Kamala  that make you cringe but deliberately selling items that are racist are "bad for business". 

WWE over the years have had a tonne of turmoil of all sorts of terrible behind the scenes behavior.   Rape on both men and women,   covering for wrestlers when they shouldn't  (Jimmy Snuka) ,  promoted drug use , etc.....  It's not like they've carried a squeaky clean image ever since Vince Jr took over. Even in the 80's it was in bad taste to have crap like Akeem and Saba Simba.    Kamala  I thought created the character before WWE so I don't think he would be lumped in. 

I wouldn't say Vince is a racist himself,  the guy only cares about money and doesn't care who gets it for him.   I will say Vince has always shown to not have much class.     

The Hunter/Booker wrestlemania angle was really bad.  Vince using the n-word on a vignette.  A lot of stereotypes.  

WWE is fighting back a bit releasing a statement (in the middle of the night??) that ACH approved the design initially and then later changed his mind and they pulled it immediately.  This all happened several weeks ago.  What prompted today’s reaction, not sure. Apparently he felt blown off when expressing his concerns.  Maybe wants a release.  I don’t know. More to come im sure.  

4 minutes ago, ediger said:

... or he's just standing up for what he believes in. Which in this case, is commendable. That shirt is atrocious. Even if any racist elements are unintentional, it's still a lame, uninspired design that should never have made it past the initial sketches.

It's his choice to pursue this matter the way he has chosen. When the virtue signallers have all gone away & he's wrestling somewhere then he'll have to deal with what happened. The WWE will just move on without him. Just like they've done with other wrestlers who were pissed off & left. Looks like the tee was a mistake by WWE marketing but he's chosen to go to war with the company. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's his choice to pursue this matter the way he has chosen. When the virtue signallers have all gone away & he's wrestling somewhere then he'll have to deal with what happened. The WWE will just move on without him. Just like they've done with other wrestlers who were pissed off & left. Looks like the tee was a mistake by WWE marketing but he's chosen to go to war with the company. 

A mistake is one thing. A design that clearly invokes racist imagery is something else.   Giving the designers the benefit of the doubt, its at least very tone deaf.   And ACH’s point about wanting more representation makes sense.  

I don’t necessarily agree with everything he’s said or how he’s said it. But one has to assume he spoke to them privately and was not happy.  He did have issues with ROH as well so you can’t dismiss the possibility he’s a bit of a problem employee (contractor). But he’s not wrong.  And WWE’s statement wasn’t nearly appropriate.   

I assume he wants a release. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A mistake is one thing. A design that clearly invokes racist imagery is something else.   Giving the designers the benefit of the doubt, its at least very tone deaf.   And ACH’s point about wanting more representation makes sense.  

I don’t necessarily agree with everything he’s said or how he’s said it. But one has to assume he spoke to them privately and was not happy.  He did have issues with ROH as well so you can’t dismiss the possibility he’s a bit of a problem employee (contractor). But he’s not wrong.  And WWE’s statement wasn’t nearly appropriate.   

Does Vince make him sit & sweat?

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

One thing you can say about the way he's handling this; he's definitely getting his name out there. If he gets released, his name recognition will be at an all time high and I wouldn't be shocked to see AEW, or more likely Impact, bring him in. Unless he has a reputation within the industry that we haven't heard about yet.

Edited by ediger

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What wrestler used the WWE to parlay his wrestling career into an acting career where he's now worth $225 million dollars? And he's black??? If ya smell what The Rock is cooking?

Whether wwe is inherently racist or racially insensitive, people can decide on their own.   Rocky certainly made it big.  But let’s not forget before he broke out he was part of the Nation of Islam group (nation of domination). And was also mocked by DX in blackface. 

You could also point to Booker T as a multiple time world champion.  And also point at Booker as being the victim of a terribly racist angle with Hunter. 

Hunter did blackface twice actually.  And when working Mark Henry, acted like a gorilla to mock him.  Hunter also did. Racist Asian stereotype as part of a vignette.  Gee do we see a trend?

I find it very difficult to believe that Hunter didn’t know what he was invoking with the ACH design.  It might not mean he’s maliciously racist. But I bet he thought it was funny.   A dirty little secret of wrestling is that it’s often racist (or racially insensitive) to minorities.  

2 hours ago, ediger said:

One thing you can say about the way he's handling this; he's definitely getting his name out there. If he gets released, his name recognition will be at an all time high and I wouldn't be shocked to see AEW, or more likely Impact, bring him in. Unless he has a reputation within the industry that we haven't heard about yet.

The only thing I would worry about is him having a rep as being trouble and playing the race card whether it’s deserved or not.   But people in ROH and AEW would know him (I’ve never met him though he has worked locally a few times).    And AEW has already done a better job of racial diversity in its office. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whether wwe is inherently racist or racially insensitive, people can decide on their own.   Rocky certainly made it big.  But let’s not forget before he broke out he was part of the Nation of Islam group (nation of domination). And was also mocked by DX in blackface. 

You could also point to Booker T as a multiple time world champion.  And also point at Booker as being the victim of a terribly racist angle with Hunter. 

Hunter did blackface twice actually.  And when working Mark Henry, acted like a gorilla to mock him.  Hunter also did. Racist Asian stereotype as part of a vignette.  Gee do we see a trend?

I find it very difficult to believe that Hunter didn’t know what he was invoking with the ACH design.  It might not mean he’s maliciously racist. But I bet he thought it was funny.   A dirty little secret of wrestling is that it’s often racist (or racially insensitive) to minorities.  

Not to mention The Rock was making Vince toooooons of money. The McMahons would work with Hitler if they thought there was a payday in it.

Edited by ediger

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Tony Khan, Brandi Runnels.  Kong is an employed agent as well.  

Edit: wwe does have a female co-president so that’s good.  

Isn't Khan the owner?

Also 2 people isn't a diverse office... I'd imagine that AEW would hire based on best qualified person rather then purely for diversity no?

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Isn't Khan the owner?

Also 2 people isn't a diverse office... I'd imagine that AEW would hire based on best qualified person rather then purely for diversity no?

I suppose if you don’t think diversity is important or that there arnt people of diverse backgrounds who are as capable....I think diversity is important   Especially for wwe who has shown a real lack of racial appropriateness at times.  

WWE’s front office per their corporate website is Vince, Steph, Hunter, Dunn and the two co-presidents.  By comparison AEW has Tony, Cody, Brandi, Bucks & Kenny.   Similar but slightly different.  

A good business owner doesn't hire purely based on skin color,  that's terrible business practice. 

I'd assume the issue with WWE is that they have way to many old farts (mostly McMahon) running the business.   With AEW I'd assume any success they gather is because the powers to be are much more in tune with what a 18 - 35 year old male would be interested in watching. 

I don't think WWE is not promoting diversity... it's mostly nepotism and the old boys club that Vince is comfortable with.  That's why his bright idea was to bring back Pritchard and Bischoff. 

49 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A good business owner doesn't hire purely based on skin color,  that's terrible business practice. 

I'd assume the issue with WWE is that they have way to many old farts (mostly McMahon) running the business.   With AEW I'd assume any success they gather is because the powers to be are much more in tune with what a 18 - 35 year old male would be interested in watching. 

I don't think WWE is not promoting diversity... it's mostly nepotism and the old boys club that Vince is comfortable with.  That's why his bright idea was to bring back Pritchard and Bischoff. 

I didn’t say anyone does or should hire based solely on skin colour.  That’s not the point. And I think you know that. 

WWE has a terrible history of stereotypes and racially insensitive angles and gimmicks.   Are they racist or just stupid?  I don’t know. 

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE has a terrible history of stereotypes and racially insensitive angles and gimmicks.   Are they racist or just stupid?  I don’t know. 

Clearly really stupid,  they have given a tonne of white guys/girls absolutely terrible gimmicks/angles as well.  

Off the top of my head Beaver Cleavage, Eugene, Bastion Booger, Hawk being a drunk, Billy and Chuck, Lita/Kane, Trish barking like a dog.... so many more.