Wrestling

Rich

I don't follow NXT much. Someone please explain to me Finn Balor's shtick? The ultra Zulu warrior type make up, the wig & last night the chain saw. I thought he might chop off one of his legs the way he was swinging that thing around. He's a decent gymnastic type wrestler as he doesallkinds of high flying stunts in & out of the ring. All that other **** he does just made me want Samoan Joe to pulverize him. Not a fan of Balor.

I like the paint and such.  It's nice when guys have some character.  I get so bored with the guys with no gimmick.

I was watching Mick Foley on the Stone Cold Podcast and he relayed something he was told when he was much younger... if you can't be BETTER than everyone, then you have to be DIFFERENT.  Which is why he came up with the Cactus Jack character.  Bland guys like Drew Macintyre and Evan Bourne all fade into obscurity because there is no reason to care about them.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The make up and stuff is his alter ego demon I guess. I assume the chainsaw and coat were just because they were in Texas. Texas chainsaw massacre 

LOL! A 190 lb guy who is a face with an inner demon? Hey, don't get me wrong Balor is talented but he'd be a mid carder in the WWE. Just like Neville.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

LOL! A 190 lb guy who is a face with an inner demon? Hey, don't get me wrong Balor is talented but he'd be a mid carder in the WWE. Just like Neville.

Nothing wrong with being a mid-carder.  The WWE needs them as much as it needs top guys.  Someone has to get in the ring every night.  Balor puts on a good show in the ring and people have latched on to his entrance and character.  Make no mistake, when he finds his way to the main roster it will be a huge pop.  I also believe Neville would have been in the IC title picture if he hadn't got injured.  If he wasn't ugly as the bottom of a shoe he might have top-card potential.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nothing wrong with being a mid-carder.  The WWE needs them as much as it needs top guys.  Someone has to get in the ring every night.  Balor puts on a good show in the ring and people have latched on to his entrance and character.  Make no mistake, when he finds his way to the main roster it will be a huge pop.  I also believe Neville would have been in the IC title picture if he hadn't got injured.  If he wasn't ugly as the bottom of a shoe he might have top-card potential.

Going from NXT champ to a WWE mid carder isn't great for NXT. The only guy I've seen from NXT who is a top card draw is Kevin Owens. he plays his role to perfection. Has an old school feel to his character. Sammy Zayne may become another top card but I haven't seen enough of him yet. Can't see Balor being that top card wrestler when he comes from NXT. He'll get that pop like you say & then settle into his role. Maybe IC Champ someday but never WWE champ.

The women's division in the WWE is another story with Charlotte, Becky Lynn & Sasha Banks. They're outstanding & their entrance to the WWE really has elevated that division in the fans eyes. Now, there's Akuna from Japan who looks phenomenal. She has that edge to her that would appeal to WWE fans as well when she comes up.

43 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Going from NXT champ to a WWE mid carder isn't great for NXT. The only guy I've seen from NXT who is a top card draw is Kevin Owens. he plays his role to perfection. Has an old school feel to his character. Sammy Zayne may become another top card but I haven't seen enough of him yet. Can't see Balor being that top card wrestler when he comes from NXT. He'll get that pop like you say & then settle into his role. Maybe IC Champ someday but never WWE champ.

The women's division in the WWE is another story with Charlotte, Becky Lynn & Sasha Banks. They're outstanding & their entrance to the WWE really has elevated that division in the fans eyes. Now, there's Akuna from Japan who looks phenomenal. She has that edge to her that would appeal to WWE fans as well when she comes up.

What about WWE champs Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins?  And Dean Ambrose?  All top card guys that came from NXT.

Looks like Kota Ibushi and Bobby Roode are both with WWE now. Very good signings. Kota I could see doing the cruiser weight tournament end getting a push out of it. Roode could be on raw right now but will probably be a veteran to work nxt. 

I was very impressed with Joe. Thoight he would win the title so Balor could move up. Wouldn't be surprised to be Joe on raw on Monday. He has a big time presence about him. Him and Brock would be s good program. 

The days of the 6 foot 8 350 pound monsters are gone. People want good wrestling now a days. After all the 2nd W in WWE stands for Wrestling. Balor will be in the title picture on the main roster for sure. Joe is good also but he's almost 40. 

Punk. Bryan. Rollins. All smaller guys who have been Champs recently. Bryan was massively over. Why? Cuz he could wrestle. Punk also. Rollins also. He was a heel but ppl were starting to cheer him because he is so good in the ring. Size is irrelevant these days. It's all about character charisma and connecting with the fans. Balor has all 3 and he can wrestle. Nakamura has the it factor also. Unique different charismatic can go in the ring. 

Look at reigns... big but no real character or charisma. Fans rejecting him. 

Strowman. Huge but no charisma or ability to wrestle. Rejected by fans. 

Ambrose? Smaller but has character an charisma. Loved 

Say What you want but charisma character and despite what some say does put on good matches. John Cena. 

It's all about character charisma and the ability to connect with the people and Balor nakamura Rollins ambrose and a few others... Owens Zayn all have that. 

Bret Hart wasn't some giant. Neither was hbk and honestly neither was Austin but they all had character charisma and the ability to connect with the people and it certainly didn't hurt that they can put on a good match 

Quite honestly Vince has lost touch with what the audience wants. What they want is something similar to nxt. Good wrestling. Strong characters and simple stories. Raw is over produced and it's obvious.  Vince has lost touch. NXT is the future. The wrestling business will change eventually and it will be because of guys like ambrose Rollins Balor styles Owens nakamura etc. And guys like punk and Bryan and even styles have paved the way for them like Bret and hbk did b4 them. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Nah, I mean it's fun to speculate but I really don't see Balor as WWE Champion. Nothing I can put a finger on but there's plenty of smaller, high flyers who never go anywhere in the WWE.

You really could be right. There have been talents that never got their due in WWE. I think they see him as something special though. But not everyone can win the title. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

There is still room for the huge guys if they can wrestle.  The Kevin Nash type.  Colin Cassady for example.

But fans definitely don't buy in to the Strowmans and Great Khalis.

I'm not sure Id use Nash as an example of a big guy who can work lol. He was a guy in the right place at the right time...a lot!

Hall of Fame was fun. I enjoyed all the speeches. It's emtoional watching these guys who's careers are over come back and be honoured. 

Shame Sting announced his retirement.  But his last match was the main event, a world title match and drew a surprisingly good buy rate. Goes out on top. 

Snoop's speech was excellent and should be edited into a video for Sasha. 

Michael Hayes was dynamite. I always loved Jimmy Jam Garvin and seeing him out there looking like an old accountant doing the Freebird dance was tremendous.  He's actually an airline pilot. 

i like seeing the guys in crowd having fun too. Austin always seems to love these things. And Scott Hall looked like a kid in a candy store every time the camera was on him. 

Cena looks smaller. Lol. What a great reaction though. 

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If Balor can be the man in NJPW no reason he can't be the man in WWE

The only thing is that when they signed him it was a big deal to bring in a top New Japan guy. Now they have others. 

and actually the word is four Indy guys working various shows in Dallas this weekend hve been offered wwe deals. So they are continuing to recruit heavily. 

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I would like to see a angle with Balor and AJ Styles for the Bullet Club

I would think we will see the Bullet Club, or whatever they call it, debut tomorrow or Monday.  But I would guess AJ wouldn't be in it. Balor, gallows, Anderson. But you never know. 

Word is that wwe is still talking to guys about making WM appearances and that some of the names would be surprising. Every guy of note is in Dallas whether for WWE or not so could be a million cameos. Or none. You just never know. 

To everyone recording the show, extend your PVR as WWE has told PPV companies they might be going over time.