Jump to content

Random News Items


Rich
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

A Big New Parkinson’s Drug Just Passed a Crucial Safety Trial

There are currently no FDA-approved means to prevent or cure Parkinson’s—a disease that afflicts more than 10 million adults worldwide, and is expected to rise to 1.2 million by 2030. Patients usually start to show symptoms around age 50, and are prescribed the drug L-Dopa to alleviate some symptoms like tremors or involuntary body movements. Unfortunately it doesn’t slow down or stop the progression of Parkinson’s.

We may soon have a better form of treatment on the way. In a study published Wednesday in the journal Science Translational Medicine, researchers at San Francisco-based Denali Therapeutics developed a drug called DNL201 that targets LRRK2, a protein that is commonly mutated in Parkison’s and ends up killing brain cells. DNL201 stamped out the rogue protein’s presence in lab mice suffering from Parkinson’s, and was also shown to be safe in a Phase 1 clinical trial in 150 people (which included both healthy individuals as well as those with Parkinson’s). Should future clinical trials prove successful as well, this new drug could be a powerful new intervention against a growing health crisis.

Parkinson’s arises due to the destruction of neurons that produce dopamine, best known as the “feel-good” chemical that’s associated with pleasure and reward but is also crucial for motor function. Scientists estimate that 85 percent or more of all cases are caused by complex interactions between environmental and common genetic risk factors.

Will This Stem Cell Breakthrough Spell the End of Parkinson’s? We’re About to Find Out.

One of the genes that seem to play a role governs the production of LRRK2. Mutated versions of the gene encourage inflammation that kills dopamine-making neurons.

Early genetic and animal studies conducted by scientists in Germany, the U.K., and by biotechnology company Genetech in the mid-2010’s showed a way to target LRRK2 with small molecule drugs that can more easily enter our cells.

Enter: DNL201. In previous studies on lab rats and macaque monkeys, the drug helped safely lower LRRK2 levels in the brain. Denali Therapeutics moved forward with a pair of human trials, administering DNL201 as a pill. Just as in the animal studies, the drug significantly reduced blood levels of LRRK while causing no adverse reactions.

In the second trial in particular, DNL201 was given to 28 patients with mild to moderate Parkinson’s disease, some of whom carried the LRRK2 gene mutation. Again, DNL201 lowered levels of LRRK2 without significant adverse reactions, except for those who got the higher dose of the drug (though the most severe complaint for those participants was a headache).

While these initial results are a promising start, the researchers caution that the study’s findings aren’t enough to guarantee DNL201 can treat Parkinson’s. It boils down to whether the drop in LRRK2 does correlate with saving dopamine-producing neurons from chemical destruction in humans as it did in the cell studies. To test that, DNL201 needs to be closely watched in much larger studies and for longer periods of time than simply one year, the researchers emphasize.

In the meantime, Denali Therapeutics is focusing on another LRRK2 blocker developed in tandem to DNL201, called DNL151. This drug was also found to be pretty effective at paring down LRRK2 and may be more convenient for patients since they need to take it only once a day, Laura Hansen, a spokesperson for Denali Therapeutics, told The Daily Beast in an email. There’s one clinical trial underway testing DNL151 in people with early-stage Parkinson’s disease. Another clinical trial for Parkinson’s patients who carry the LRRK2 mutation is expected for later this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2022/06/crtc-imposes-75-million-in-penalties-on-bell-canada-for-violations-of-canadas-telecommunications-act.html

Quote

June 15, 2022 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)

Today, the CRTC announced that it has imposed a total of $7.5 million in penalties on Bell Canada for three violations of the Telecommunications Act.

The CRTC found that Bell Canada denied permit applications for access to its telephone poles from Videotron, its main competitor in Quebec. As a result, Videotron was not able to access Bell Canada’s poles, which delayed its network deployment and created a competitive advantage for Bell Canada.

The CRTC’s decision issued today sets the penalties for these three violations of the Telecommunications Act at $2.5 million each.

For context, Bell Canada earned $934M in Q1 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Still pandemic pricing for BellMTS/Shaw. Fudge them!

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-raid-atomwaffen-division-neo-nazi-group-1.6491005

Quote

Around 60 RCMP officers are conducting raids southwest of Quebec City, targeting people connected to the neo-Nazi group the Atomwaffen Division.

"It's a far-right affiliated group, which could be described as having neo-Nazi allegiance," RCMP Cpl. Charles Poirier said.

Poirier said two search warrants are being executed in the towns of Saint-Ferdinand and Plessisville in what he called a "national security operation."

Poirier said there was no threat to the general public and no arrests are expected.

He said this is the culmination of an investigation that began in 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/06/17/corporate-profits-are-driving-inflation-says-study.html

Quote

Frustrated that prices are rising a lot faster than your wages seem to be?

You’re got every right to be, according to a new study from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

The study, authored by CCPA senior economist David Macdonald, finds that as Canada’s economy recovers from the ravages of the COVID-19 pandemic, rampant inflation has been a boon for corporate profits, while workers see their earning power fall further behind.

“High inflation rates, particularly this time around, have protected corporate profits, they haven’t eroded them. And it’s been at the expense of workers’ wages,” said MacDonald in an interview.

Coming out of the COVID-induced recession, corporate profits account for an even bigger share of Canada’s economy than they did pre-COVID, said Macdonald. Workers’ wages, meanwhile, are a smaller portion, in terms of the country’s gross domestic product.

The report provides a measure of vindication for workers who are constantly told that their requests for wage increases could bankrupt companies and ruin the economy, said Deena Ladd, executive director of the Workers Action Centre.

 

“The staggering rate of corporate profits is the problem, yet low-wage workers are constantly told that if they ask for a wage increase, they’ll be increasing inflation,” said Ladd. “So many times we’re told that workers are to blame for inflation. This report shows that just isn’t true.”

Profits have risen particularly quickly in sectors dominated by a handful of companies, said Macdonald, pointing in particular to the grocery retail industry, as well as the food-processing sector.

Corporate greed is the problem...? Shocking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ezra Miller Hit with Order of Protection for Alleged Harassment of 12-Year-Old Child

In recent weeks, reports have surfaced surrounding Ezra Miller and their alleged crimes against a number of individuals. Most recently, the actor was the subject of a temporary harassment prevention order granted to a child.

As reported by The Daily Beast, The child, who is non-binary, was granted the order by a court in Greenfield, Massachusetts. The family alleges Miller, whose whereabouts are currently unknown, menaced them one evening in their neighbor’s home and behaved inappropriately with the child. The neighbor stated that on Feb. 2, Miller wore a bulletproof vest and was armed, which the neighbor did not discover until later when Miller seemingly threatened them. The child's parents and the neighbor also believe Miller may have been under the influence that evening.

https://www.thedailybeast.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ezra Miller Hit with Order of Protection for Alleged Harassment of 12-Year-Old Child

In recent weeks, reports have surfaced surrounding Ezra Miller and their alleged crimes against a number of individuals. Most recently, the actor was the subject of a temporary harassment prevention order granted to a child.

As reported by The Daily Beast, The child, who is non-binary, was granted the order by a court in Greenfield, Massachusetts. The family alleges Miller, whose whereabouts are currently unknown, menaced them one evening in their neighbor’s home and behaved inappropriately with the child. The neighbor stated that on Feb. 2, Miller wore a bulletproof vest and was armed, which the neighbor did not discover until later when Miller seemingly threatened them. The child's parents and the neighbor also believe Miller may have been under the influence that evening.

https://www.thedailybeast.com

Man, they really need to rush this film out in order to prevent a Kevin Spacey refilming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ghislaine Maxwell Sentenced In Jeffrey Epstein Sex Abuse Case.

U.S. District Judge Alison J. Nathan handed down the sentencing in a New York courtroom. Federal prosecutors had sought 30 to 55 years against the former international jetsetter and British socialite.
The 60-year-old was convicted late last year of sex trafficking, transporting a minor to participate in illegal sex acts and two conspiracy charges related to the late financier. Epstein killed himself in 2019 while awaiting trial, according to authorities.

Epstein faced allegations of sexual abuse from scores of women, though the court in Maxwell’s trial focused on testimony from four women. They described being abused as teenagers with the help of Maxwell, who they said recruited them to Epstein’s homes after showering them with attention and offers of mentorship. Once at his properties, the women said they were instructed to perform sexual massages and were sexually abused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ghislaine Maxwell Sentenced In Jeffrey Epstein Sex Abuse Case.

U.S. District Judge Alison J. Nathan handed down the sentencing in a New York courtroom. Federal prosecutors had sought 30 to 55 years against the former international jetsetter and British socialite.
The 60-year-old was convicted late last year of sex trafficking, transporting a minor to participate in illegal sex acts and two conspiracy charges related to the late financier. Epstein killed himself in 2019 while awaiting trial, according to authorities.

Epstein faced allegations of sexual abuse from scores of women, though the court in Maxwell’s trial focused on testimony from four women. They described being abused as teenagers with the help of Maxwell, who they said recruited them to Epstein’s homes after showering them with attention and offers of mentorship. Once at his properties, the women said they were instructed to perform sexual massages and were sexually abused.

Didn’t say in the article, but she got 20 years in jail. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

R. Kelly Sentenced To 30 Years In Prison In Racketeering, Sex Trafficking Case

NEW YORK — R. Kelly’s federal case in Brooklyn, New York, came to a close Wednesday when U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly sentenced the R&B singer to 30 years in prison after being convicted of racketeering and charges related to sex trafficking.

Before Donnelly announced the sentencing, victim witnesses Angela, Addie, Lizzette Martinez, Stephanie, Kitti Jones, Faith Rodgers and Sonja stood before the court’s podium to state their remarks. Several broke into tears during their speeches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-naturopath-fecal-transplants-jason-klop-court-hearing-1.6504615

Quote

The lawyer for a Fraser Valley naturopath facing investigation for his business selling fecal microbiota transplants to families of autistic children argued in a B.C. courtroom Tuesday that his client isn't obligated to follow scientific evidence.

Naturopath Jason Klop was in B.C. Supreme Court petitioning for a judge to order the College of Naturopathic Physicians to end its investigations into his business and lift his ban on manufacturing, advertising and selling pills and enemas made from human feces.

In explaining the ban, the college has said Klop may be engaged in conduct unbecoming of a naturopathic physician, but lawyer Jason Gratl argued that's difficult to prove in a field with somewhat nebulous boundaries and relatively few restrictions.

"What does it take for a naturopath to do something unbecoming in a field that is so broad and open to interpretation?" he asked the court, arguing only substantial harm to patients would meet the bar.

Gratl suggested a lack of scientific evidence for the use of fecal microbiota transplants (FMT) to treat autism isn't necessarily relevant in this case.

"In certain respects, naturopaths may rely on science, but they are not bound by science," Gratl said.

He explained that naturopathic practices can instead be based on anecdotes or historical knowledge, and later pointed out that the field includes homeopathy, "which some say involves magical thinking [and is] certainly non-scientific at its core."

Pills and enemas made from human feces sold to other humans...

Thats Nasty GIFs | Tenor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022-06-28 at 7:26 PM, Tracker said:

But you may notice that NONE of the pedophile customers have been named.

 

how much coaching did it take to get the girls to NOT mention names. maybe some money helped them.  

Sometimes the lawlessness and impunity of the wealthy and powerful is right out in the open, (like this case)

and we are so brainwashed, and under attack from every side, that it just draws a collective yawn.

absolutely astounding that Not one of the male predators  has even sniffed being charged.

it is impossible to keep track of the lawlessness of those people.

Joe Biden is going to go begging to the murderer crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

In our world, There really is a large international group of people who are subject to no laws whatsoever.

dont know what to say, i though ghislaine would lever a deal with her secrets.

 

Edited by Mark F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

 

how much coaching did it take to get the girls to NOT mention names. maybe some money helped them.  

Sometimes the lawlessness and impunity of the wealthy and powerful is right out in the open, (like this case)

and we are so brainwashed, and under attack from every side, that it just draws a collective yawn.

absolutely astounding that Not one of the male predators  has even sniffed being charged.

it is impossible to keep track of the lawlessness of those people.

Joe Biden is going to go begging to the murderer crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

In our world, There really is a large international group of people who are subject to no laws whatsoever.

dont know what to say, i though ghislaine would lever a deal with her secrets.

 

They bought itheir silence. Or, threatened them. These are not rich, affluent girls. They tried to speak out and we're shut up. Look at the deal the the FL prosecutor made? Then, subsequently, got a top tier appointment from Trump. Gee, I wonder why?! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...