Random News Items

Rich

Its hilarious the city won't disclose the breakdown of salaries being paid out, i guess they figure that the dummies that live here will continue to fork over a blank cheque year after year.Retirement payments, severance handouts and inflated pensions are going to gut this city

CNN

The cockpit voice recorder recovered from EgyptAir Flight 804 indicates there was an attempt to put out a fire on board the plane before it crashed into the Mediterranean Sea, a senior source from EgyptAir told CNN Tuesday. The source confirmed the recordings from the cockpit voice recorder are in line with data extracted from the plane's other devices, which have indicated the presence of smoke in the plane's avionics system and lavatory.

Interesting.  Perhaps a lot of people jumping to terrorism when it was mechanical.  Or could still be terrorism (though no one has taken credit).

On 05/07/2016 at 0:43 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

CNN

The cockpit voice recorder recovered from EgyptAir Flight 804 indicates there was an attempt to put out a fire on board the plane before it crashed into the Mediterranean Sea, a senior source from EgyptAir told CNN Tuesday. The source confirmed the recordings from the cockpit voice recorder are in line with data extracted from the plane's other devices, which have indicated the presence of smoke in the plane's avionics system and lavatory.

Interesting.  Perhaps a lot of people jumping to terrorism when it was mechanical.  Or could still be terrorism (though no one has taken credit).

It's way too early to jump to conclusions. Smoke in the lavatory could be from someone trying to sneak a cigarette and accidentally starting a fire. That has caused crashes in the past.

I have a few opinions on this.  As Brandon said, there were witnesses who said the suspect had a gun.  Now whether he was going for it or not will become the crux of the debate.  The officer on the video can be heard saying he's going for the gun.

Americans want the right to carry guns all the time.  This is the natural reaction to that.  Anyone who might have a gun that the police have probably cause to question or detain have a reasonable right to be concerned for their safety and thus, will shoot.  If I understand the Minnesota shooting, the guy is pulled over for a busted tail light but while looking for his ID, cop saw a gun and shot him.

Im not sure what gun loving American's want to have happen here.

On the other hand, I've made the point before that it seems a lot of police officers are shoot first, ask questions later types.  There seems to be a lack of "heroics" in the sense that shooting was the last thing an officer did.  Guy had a knife and is surrounded by 20 cops...disarm him.  Dont shoot him.

It comes down to two things: 1) training 2) a sense of us vs them on the streets.  And I dont think its white vs black, but cops vs citizens.

In the Baton Rogue incident, again its "Oh he was executed for selling CD's".  No, he refused officer's commands and then physically tussled with them while carrying a gun (if he did in fact have the gun). 

There was an incident at the Jefferson Memorial where citizens were "dancing" and it turned into a mass arrest and questions of physical force.  Its not that you were arrested for dancing, you were arrested for physically resisting officers.

However, as someone who has been in countless physical encounters, sometimes people fight and sometimes the "struggle" is a reflex, especially if you're cutting off a person's airway.  Most people that have done any sort of work that results in fights knows its usually easier for 2-3 people to restrain someone than 10 people.

If two cops can't physically restrain a guy on the ground without shooting him, then those two cops need some serious re-training.

Easier said  then done. When someone goes for a gun you dont have time to contemplate and figure out options.

Also restraining someone who is fighting is very hard. If they are on drugs it's near impossible.

Easiest solution...listen to the police and dont pack heat.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Easier said  then done. When someone goes for a gun you dont have time to contemplate and figure out options.

Also restraining someone who is fighting is very hard. If they are on drugs it's near impossible.

Easiest solution...listen to the police and dont pack heat.

I agree but police are trained in restraint tactics.  No evidence this individual was on drugs.  The fact both officers drew their weapons means they only had one free arm to restrain him.  The close range firing meant it was all but certain to be a kill shot.  The issue becomes did the officers fear for their immediate safety?  They will say yes.  They will say reports are he had a gun and he was struggling with them.  I think they went from option a to option k and skipped a few along the way.  No one needed to die.

"He fought with me so I killed him" shouldnt be a sound defense. 

I agree in common sense.  Dont fight with cops, no chance of getting shot.  Follow their instructions and if you've done nothing wrong, you're likely on your way in a few minutes.  But we must accept that disobeying an officer is not an executable offense.  Also, two officers is not enough to respond to reports of a man with a gun in the first place.  Cops are also trained in techniques to diffuse situations but when we see incidents like this, we rarely see those skills on display.  Its always a competition to win.  No one won in this case.  A win for the cops would have been to take a little more time in talking to the person, wait for back up, potentially use a tazer or pepper spray.  Firing a gun, especially a guaranteed kill shot, should be last resort.

• 2 weeks later...

Woman with a gun to her head at Portage & Main this morning.  Cops moved in and tackled her.  Video on facebook but perhaps someone with more skills than me can post it.

Looked like she laid down (or went down for some reason), police made decision to move in, she leaped back up, one cop continued his close, charging fast and taking her down with a Goldberg-esque spear.  Hero cops.  Nice to see.  Woman appeared to be walking with police so presumed to not have shot herself (or been shot).

Ever get the feeling things are going to keep escalating back and forth down South until they throw themselves into a Civil War?

Cops get itchy trigger fingers due to everyone carrying a gun, end up shooting people they shouldn't.  Citizens revolt and decide to start taking out Cops.  Cops fingers get even itchier due to violence against them and shoot more people they shouldn't......  Guess what happens next....