Walters Presser

Taynted_Fayth

Says 1 year deals bad for the league

Dressler signed pretty close to what they offered, despite similar offer elsewhere, he chose winnipeg

Scouting needs to improve

Hes trying to move away from incentive based deals cuz their too hard to predict.

RE: 1 year deals being bad for the league;  i agree and disagree wiith that  there's no commitment to the team, however you might entice better talent who were fringe NFLer's getting cut to come here even if aspiration is still down south,  there would be more coming and going, but I think it might be better for the league to expose more ppl down south,  even if for just a year

RE: Dressler  good stuff all around on that.

RE: Scouting,  is anything being done? like bringing in new scouts?

RE: incentives,  its kind of a gamble for both sides,  you win some you lose some

-US Mini-camp normally held down in Florida in April is now going to be in Winnipeg because of the current state of the dollar. Just doesn't make financial sense otherwise.

-As noted earlier, Walters spoke to Moore's agent weeks ago and let them know they wouldn't be extending a contract their way prior to Free Agency.

Edited by Noeller

well that was just an example though showcasing how both sides can win.  Ive had jobs with comission before, and its really no different.  your starting wage, but higher ceiling if you do well.  If everyone hit this incentives and it happens to go over the sms, id be thinking well that sucks for the sms,  but we got the team playing lights out. shucks

37 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Says 1 year deals bad for the league

Dressler signed pretty close to what they offered, despite similar offer elsewhere, he chose winnipeg

Scouting needs to improve

Hes trying to move away from incentive based deals cuz their too hard to predict.

RE: 1 year deals being bad for the league;  i agree and disagree wiith that  there's no commitment to the team, however you might entice better talent who were fringe NFLer's getting cut to come here even if aspiration is still down south,  there would be more coming and going, but I think it might be better for the league to expose more ppl down south,  even if for just a year

RE: Dressler  good stuff all around on that.

RE: Scouting,  is anything being done? like bringing in new scouts?

RE: incentives,  its kind of a gamble for both sides,  you win some you lose some

Was this live?  Link please.

I was just copying off the twitter feed as it was posting by CFL_News thats why i missed the part Noeller posted

**theres a copy posts posted here  http://www.cjob.com/sports/

I didnt see walters remark that the Moore ship sailed long before dressler became available,  i know it was mentioned there was no talk, but that pretty much confirms it

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

I have to imagine how disheartened Walters and O'Shea must have been every time Moore pulled off a nice grab, only to come up nicked and out of action...Big money spent on a player that turned out badly...I don't blame the Bombers for moving on but you have to know that Willy must be affected a bit as Moore was a friend and an offseason receiving target for him when he worked out...Business is business and I'm sure Drew will be the first to acknowledge that and get a big lift when Weston shows up in the locker room..We're moving on up.....and no I'm not going to insert the ol Jeffersons theme song...Been a good day with the Dressler signing and now Kyle has to figure in a few more fa signings.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I agree with you from a fan perspective... I'd rather get one year out of guys like Duran Carter and Eric Rodgers than not have them at all... but from management's perspective, I can see how it would be tough to plan with a bunch of guys on 1-year deals...

One other thing mentioned in the presser that's sorta interesting, is that Walters apparently has a bunch of stuff going on re: our own FAs. He dodged and ducked as best he could, but you got the impression we'll see a bunch of our own signings coming up in the next week...

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

One other thing mentioned in the presser that's sorta interesting, is that Walters apparently has a bunch of stuff going on re: our own FAs. He dodged and ducked as best he could, but you got the impression we'll see a bunch of our own signings coming up in the next week...

Hopefully only a couple.

The Walters presser did put out some interesting info in how the Bombers are undertaking the search (scouting) import talent.

- They are taking statistical data from successful CFL recruiting and applying it to how they evaluate talent at NFL camps. They hope to get a better grasp on identifying potential, useful CFL players. In other words, do a better job of recruiting. This has been a concern for every Bomber fan for at least the last 2 years. We can only hope this new approach reaps benefits.

- Walters touched on the O-Line and the fact that they only have 3 Canadian guys signed. At "this date", they are not concerned as he feels there is plenty of time to locate and sign at least PR guys to develop. And, of course, the draft. The only "surprise" thus far, was the retirement of T. Griffiths, whom they felt was coming along nicely.

At this time I can't help but feel the Bombers are ahead of where they wanted to be, mainly due to the availability, and signing of Weston Dressler, and that the process they are following will yield more signings of our own FAs, and that, of course, will lead right up to Free Agency in 2 weeks time.

I think they will go after another big name receiver, a middle of the pack O-Line guy (think Watman) and a big name D-Line guy. We're in good position to be successful in those areas, I would think.

36 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The Walters presser did put out some interesting info in how the Bombers are undertaking the search (scouting) import talent.

- They are taking statistical data from successful CFL recruiting and applying it to how they evaluate talent at NFL camps. They hope to get a better grasp on identifying potential, useful CFL players. In other words, do a better job of recruiting. This has been a concern for every Bomber fan for at least the last 2 years. We can only hope this new approach reaps benefits.

How about they just do what they did in the 1980's, and do it again?  Man they always had such a huge flow of talent coming through Winnipeg in those years.  I don't know how you just "forget" to scout like they used to.  What happened?

I look at teams like Calgary and every time a guy goes down, someone even better seems to just seamlessly pop up from nowhere and take his place.  I would just focus on what Huffer does, and do that here.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

16 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

How about they just do what they did in the 1980's, and do it again?  Man they always had such a huge flow of talent coming through Winnipeg in those years.  I don't know how you just "forget" to scout like they used to.  What happened?

I look at teams like Calgary and every time a guy goes down, someone even better seems to just seamlessly pop up from nowhere and take his place.  I would just focus on what Huffer does, and do that here.

Players aren't as available as they used to be. NFL teams try to hide their last cuts. Larger rosters, more teams etc. Can't compare the 80's to today. 

Edited by iso_55

Walters: "Our scouting dept. needs to improve, to find better, younger players." #CFL #Bombers via @Wpg_BlueBombers
11:14 AM - 26 Jan
Terrence EdwardsTerrence Edwards–  ‏@Tjedwards82I'm say it again... @Wpg_BlueBombers I told the bosses before I retire, I would like to get into the scouting! https://twitter.com/cfl_news/status/692062962945753091
11:53 AM - 26 Jan 2016

Edited by Mr Dee

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Hate to bring this name up but Joe Mack was director of player personnel from 84-87 and he did a very good job recruiting.