Winners & Losers - Knowing Players Salaries

BigBlue

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

no one, fans dont dictate ****

Our dollars pay for their salaries and if the fan base drops and it is heard that certain players are falling out of favour chance are those players will "be reassessed". There are often moves done to placate fans. It is a part of business.

Knowing the salaries would mean that the GMs and the players would both win and lose. 

Let’s take Nick Moore and his stats from last year as an example.  Last year Moore played in only 15 games, but still had 900 yards receiving and 4 touchdowns.

If it is known that Nick Moore is making 200k, then most fans would be upset with his production and expect a change.  Someone making that kind of money needs to produce more. That’s bad for Moore.  At the same time, Walters, the GM would get criticized for signing a guy who did not live up to the expectations of his salary.

However, if it is known that Nick Moore is making the league average, (Which I think is 90 – 100k?), then most fans would be very happy to get that kind of production from a guy making the league average. Fans would be happy to have him back another year and Walters would be praised for a great signing.

In the end I think the fans and media would "win", because they would be given more information in which to form a fair opinion.

8 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Our dollars pay for their salaries and if the fan base drops and it is heard that certain players are falling out of favour chance are those players will "be reassessed". There are often moves done to placate fans. It is a part of business.

Knowing Nick More made 180k, and Wild made 200k, and so forth would not stop, nor would it encourage fans to attended a game. It really doesn't matter as long as the team is not being penalized for over spending the sms. 

When I go into a business, i never once think, or care how much the person im dealing with is making, i only care about the service ( in this case the on field production) if it's lousy, then the onus is on their superior to re-evaluate that employee and see if they are getting the best bang for their buck.  if that superior is too inept to do that and make the appropriate changes, then they too likely need a change. 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

13 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Knowing Nick More made 180k, and Wild made 200k, and so forth would not stop, nor would it encourage fans to attended a game. It really doesn't matter as long as the team is not being penalized for over spending the sms. 

When I go into a business, i never once think, or care how much the person im dealing with is making, i only care about the service ( in this case the on field production) if it's lousy, then the onus is on their superior to re-evaluate that employee and see if they are getting the best bang for their buck.  if that superior is too inept to do that and make the appropriate changes, then they too likely need a change. 

Your initial response was that fans don't dictate ****. I was responding to that. If fans knew salaries we would be more judgemental and would likely put more pressure on the franchise to get better bang for the buck. I really don't give **** about salaries... Unless like now where this team is so bad it would help to know whose salary could be jettisoned to make room for better quality players worth the money. Mind you our management sucks balls so ....

I've heard from NHLers that when salaries became public, it greatly benefited the players. Why that is would be speculative, but I think it probably allows players to better use each other's pay as leverage against clubs who want to get away with underpaying and undervaluing talent.

I'm sure the same would happen in the CFL, and so the teams and league would prefer to keep them hidden. And since they mostly got their way when the last CBA was signed, that's why public salaries weren't included in the final deal. It may end up being one of the pieces the CFLPA will try to put into the next CBA, though.

5 hours ago, comedygeek said:

I've heard from NHLers that when salaries became public, it greatly benefited the players. Why that is would be speculative, but I think it probably allows players to better use each other's pay as leverage against clubs who want to get away with underpaying and undervaluing talent.

I'm sure the same would happen in the CFL, and so the teams and league would prefer to keep them hidden. And since they mostly got their way when the last CBA was signed, that's why public salaries weren't included in the final deal. It may end up being one of the pieces the CFLPA will try to put into the next CBA, though.

If the CFLPA really wants the salaries published, couldn't they just disclose them themselves?

Create their own CFLPACapGeek site.

If the reason is to use the salaries as leverage, then they don't need to be public, they only need to be published amongst the players and agents.

Then again, technically the NHL doesn't officially publicly publish salaries, just more eyes and leaks on them I suppose.

I'm not sure, at all, if this knowledge would do any good for the average CFL fan, other than being another platform from which to pitch criticism. 

The other major leagues, involved mostly in the States, are runaway cash atrocities that care little for the average fan - just the almighty buck. Their millions earned mean nothing to me, other than a shrug and a moan. 

So, do I want to know any sports league's salaries? 

No, as it does nothing for me in the interest in that sport..other than jading that sport in my eyes.

There's no league that publishes salaries for public consumption.  There are just better reporters ("insiders") and more interest in those leagues generally which leads to more of that information being available.

Salaries are disclosed to agents and players by the CFLPA, just as they are in any other pro league.

We seem to have this discussion quarterly.

20 hours ago, Rich said:

If the CFLPA really wants the salaries published, couldn't they just disclose them themselves?

Create their own CFLPACapGeek site.

If the reason is to use the salaries as leverage, then they don't need to be public, they only need to be published amongst the players and agents.

Then again, technically the NHL doesn't officially publicly publish salaries, just more eyes and leaks on them I suppose.

I've heard it discussed before, but the most recent thing that popped up that I remembered reading a few days ago, was this tweet. (And I remembered not just because of its topic, but because I found it interesting to see Ray Ferraro post anything about the CFL in any context. Heh.)

Edited by comedygeek