Blake Wheeler gets the Shaft

Goalie

Yeah, I'm sure most don't want to go but apparently the Jets wanted Wheeler to go and Wheeler wanted to go also, Oh well, Just strange, guess maybe it's roster constraints more than anything here, John Klingberg from Dallas not picked to go either so yeah, probably the best D man in the Central right now. 

40 minutes ago, Bomberfan85 said:

At first I felt the same way about Wheeler not being there but when I looked at the Central division forwards that were picked, I figured it's very hard to argue against any of them. Under the old format, I bet he'd be there.

Toews is on pace for his worst PPG of his career.  He's only there for name recognition & past performance.

Wheeler has more assists (30) than Toews has points (26).

Atlantic Division Central Division
F Patrice Bergeron (BOS) F Jamie Benn (DAL)
F Jaromir Jagr (FLA)* F Matt Duchene (COL)
F Leo Komarov (TOR) F Patrick Kane (CHI)*
F Dylan Larkin (DET) F Tyler Seguin (DAL)
F Ryan O'Reilly (BUF) F Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
F Steven Stamkos (TBL) F Jonathan Toews (CHI)
D Aaron Ekblad (FLA) D Dustin Byfuglien (WPG)
D Erik Karlsson (OTT) D Roman Josi (NSH)
D P.K. Subban (MTL) D Shea Weber (NSH)
G Ben Bishop (TBL) G Devan Dubnyk (MIN)
G Roberto Luongo (FLA) G Pekka Rinne (NSH)
Metropolitan Division Pacific Division
F Nicklas Backstrom (WSH) F Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
F Claude Giroux (PHI) F Taylor Hall (EDM)
F Evgeni Malkin (PIT) F Joe Pavelski (SJS)
F Alex Ovechkin (WSH)* F Corey Perry (ANA)
F Brandon Saad (CBJ) F John Scott (ARI)*
F John Tavares (NYI) F Daniel Sedin (VAN)
D Justin Faulk (CAR) D Brent Burns (SJS)
D Kris Letang (PIT) D Drew Doughty (LAK)
D Ryan McDonagh (NYR) D Mark Giordano (CGY)
G Braden Holtby (WSH) G John Gibson (ANA)
G Cory Schneider (NJD) G Jonathan Quick (LAK)

Just saying but... Rinne in the all star game is also a joke, The guy has sucked this year. Crawford from Chicago or Allen from St Louis should be there instead. Dubnyk also is somewhat of a joke. No Klingberg from Dallas is a huge joke. 

One thing to Keep in Mind tho, ASG is in Nashville. 

The Central is running away with this and it's not even close btw. The talent there compared to the other divisions is insane, 5 of the top 7 Scoring Leaders in the league are from the Central and the guy ranked 7th (Wheeler) isn't "good" enough to make the Central squad. 

Edited by Goalie

That is a joke. Unbelievable. Shows you the whole thing is just an NHL marketing ploy. Selecting guys based on last accomplishments because they might be bigger "names" to the General public 

it's a complete slap in the face to Blake Wheeler and if I were Buff Id come down with an "injury" as a form of protest. 

I don't really care much about the all-star game... it's an extended skills competition... the format and player selection doesn't really change my interest... although I do like the 3-on-3 idea.... makes it exciting and trying to bring in some new fans...

but someone really needs to step in a put and end to this Jon Scott joke...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I don't really care much about the all-star game... it's an extended skills competition... the format and player selection doesn't really change my interest... although I do like the 3-on-3 idea.... makes it exciting and trying to bring in some new fans...

but someone really needs to step in a put and end to this Jon Scott joke...

They should have gone with a 5/5, 4/4, 3/3 thing. Change it up every period.

The $1m prize is a joke. Maybe the winner should get 4/7 games in the Cup final. That makes it worth something.

Too many damn players. 44?!?!

23 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Then why is Toews there?

So just decided not to follow the conversation? Noeller was arguing Toews over Wheeler on the basis that points aren't all that matters, I am disagreeing and saying that in an all star game might as well just base it on points therefore Wheeler should be there over Toews. 

Like Wheeler said... it's a popularity contest. Anyone ever watch a Jets game in the states? I have and guess what. ... they don't promote wheeler.. they promote buff. It's Buff and the Jets vs the Wild or whoever. Buff is the face of our team to Americans. That's why he's in. Toews is in cuz quite frankly he's Jonathan Toews. Name recognition matters. Ppl will then say why isn't Crosby there. Cuz he's only shown up to play in 1 all star game in 7 or 8 seasons. It's all about name value here.  You kind of realize how much of a joke it is when you see that John Scott is the only Arizona Rep. Where's OEL or Domi for that matter.  Where's Draisaitl for that matter. He's had a hell of a season 2. Name recognition matters. It's all about ratings and nothing else and eventho wheeler is having a better year than Toews Duchene and the sorts ... outside of Winnipeg and maybe western Canada... he's not known enough. 

Edited by Goalie