Blake Wheeler gets the Shaft

Goalie

Total points aside, I'll argue that Toews is one of the best 3-on-3 players in the game. Him, Kane and pretty much anybody would be a really fun thing to watch during this ASG. Maybe Buff with them to reunite the Hawks 2010 L1?

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Buff is the face of the team here too.

Sure.  But the All Star Game should be the All Stars that season.  And that might mean a player who has one remarkable season (or half season).  Didnt  Numinen play in an All Star Game when the chosen Jet was injured?  And everyone wanted him to go because he was such a quality D-man even though he didnt rack up points?  Im okay with that.  But it should be the best players that season.

And no doubt Blake Wheeler is the most deserving Jet this season.  Im not sure where Buff would rank but Im not even sure he'd be the first alternate after Wheeler if we were being completely fair.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Different format tho. 

Let's say Duchene isn't Colorado rep and Wheeler is ours. That means the Colorado rep would have to be a d man. It's an odd format 

If you are looking strictly as points...

Tyson Barrie (28 points) vs. Buff 23 points)

Then you take Wheeler (40 points) over Duchene (34 points)

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

For this particular one, if we're gonna take it seriously for whatever reason, I'd take the best 3 on 3 players in the game.... 

There's your problem... you can't take this game seriously... every year all the old white guys (aka hockey "traditionalists") are all up in arms about how boring and meaningless the all-star game is... and every year I would love to remind them... the all-star game is not for die-hard, old school fans... it's for kids to see their favourite stars playing in a skills competition and to attract a new audience... if you think of it as anything more than that, you will constantly be setting yourself up to be disappointed...

This isnt like we're saying send nice-guy Thorburn.  Blake Wheeler is a top scorer in the NHL.  He's having a career year.  He's arguably the best player on the team.  He was a top prospect.  He looks and acts like a top player.  Maybe if the NHL sent the guy who is the most deserving from the team, they'd help create the widespread recognition of him in the general public of being a superstar to anyone that might think otherwise.

23 hours ago, Noeller said:

Total points aside, I'll argue that Toews is one of the best 3-on-3 players in the game. 

Is this based on anything tangible or just because you're a massive Toews fan?  I ain't saying one way or the other just asking for reasoning behind this assertation. For example someone like little ***** gaudreau you can easily point to the fLames ot record and amount of points gaudreau gets there but has toews done anything extrodinary in ot so far?

23 hours ago, Rich said:

If you are looking strictly as points...

Tyson Barrie (28 points) vs. Buff 23 points)

Then you take Wheeler (40 points) over Duchene (34 points)

I don't disagree with that. But i think it's as simple as it's a popularity contest. Barrie isn't popular, Wheeler isn't either. Buff is. Duchene is. 

Who is Tyson Barrie? Yeah some of us might know who he is but... do the masses? I'm not sure. I guess Wheeler is right when he said it's a popularity contest cuz Matt Duchene is definitely well known. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is this based on anything tangible or just because you're a massive Toews fan?  I ain't saying one way or the other just asking for reasoning behind this assertation. For example someone like little ***** gaudreau you can easily point to the fLames ot record and amount of points gaudreau gets there but has toews done anything extrodinary in ot so far?

I'm not a big Toews fan boy but the guy is very good and with that being said, He has scored multiple game winning OT goals himself this year also. 

And I could see Toews being good 3 on 3, but Kane and a guy like Hossa and defencemen like Keith seem like they're tailor made for it too. It's all about possession and Chicago has built their whole game around possession. I dunno I just think that 3 on 3 is pretty easy for any one skilled individual to be good at. Toews is good in OT? I have no doubts about that, I also have no doubts that a guy as big and fast as Wheeler is good in OT too. 

It's an odd format. Lots of guys left off. Lots of interesting choices. In my opinion, Artemi Panarin should probably be there also, He's having one hell of a year.. as semi oiler fan, where would they be without Draisatl right now? Hall is good but Draisatl has been spectacular so far. Giordano in Calgary, yeah he's good but Brodie is better. 

McDonough from NYR, struggling big time this year but he's going. Rinne in Nashville, struggling big time, really poor season so far yet he's going, Dubnyk in Minny, No Parise or Suter from Minny. It's just odd. The list goes on and on. You can look at every division there and you could add and subtract certain players. Kuznetsov in Washington is another guy i feel should be there. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'm not a big Toews fan boy but the guy is very good and with that being said, He has scored multiple game winning OT goals himself this year also. 

It's this....there's nobody more clutch in OT, for my money, than Toews. And in that 3-on-3 format, the guy just kills. He's fast, strong, and can finish or set up the play...him, Kane and Buff on a line was ridiculously good in the past, and I'd be interested in seeing it again...

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's this....there's nobody more clutch in OT, for my money, than Toews. And in that 3-on-3 format, the guy just kills. He's fast, strong, and can finish or set up the play...him, Kane and Buff on a line was ridiculously good in the past, and I'd be interested in seeing it again...

don't know anything about 3 on 3, but looking at his record of leading teams to championships, He must be one of the great team leaders of the last twenty years in world level amateur and pro sports.

Toews is having his worst individual season, Wheeler is the first Jets/Thrashers player who might be a point per game player since probably Kovalchuk

The poor decision to include Toews also screwed Klingberg who should be there. Because they sent Toews they couldn't send Wheeler, so they needed a Jet so they went Byfuglein, which bumps Klingberg because Josi/Weber are too damn good.