Game 13 : Jets @ Leafs

Yes, it's Petan between Thorburn and Pelusoso. I don't mind Thorburn, but Pelusoso, not so much. Petan has to,be patient.

Notwithstanding at least 2 empty net goals, the 3rd line of Stafford-6, Lowry-5 and Burmistrov-2 has the worst +- on the team.

Ehlers, no surprise, leads the team with 43 shots. 34, then 33, 32 are next. Oh, that would be Buff, Wheeler and Ladd.

And from the Toronto Star:

"The Jets are the tallest (averaging six-feet-two inches) and heaviest (averaging 210 pounds) team in the NHL."

And yes, I do expect a return to form, and a win, for the Jets..

I dont get all nutty about Thorbs and Peluso like some.  I actually like Thorburn who has some skill and always seems to be working his ass off every shift.  He's a solid 4th line player in the NHL who is responsible when on the ice.  Peluso is sort of a hybrid enforcer, a tremendous fighter who can actually skate and isnt too out of place on the 4th line.

If he was out only option I'd lobby for reform.  But I dont mind the rotation.  He's a nice tool to have in the tool box even if you dont need it too often.  I'd like to see Raffl in that spot at some point.

My only concern with the fourth line is whether it dumbs down Petan's skills and doesnt allow him the right opportunity to develop.  And thats why I'd be fine with a temporary shift between Burmi and Petan.  I think the 3rd line is responsible but not getting as much offense as one had hoped.  Petan might spark Lowry and Stafford.

Burmistrov and Wheeler. Super deal. Burmi..for delaying and playing the puck perfectly out of the box, but Wheeler, for recognizing the play and skating hard into it to combine on a beauty with Burmistrov.

After losing faceoffs badly at first, the Jets came back and were down 37-32 at the end.

Jets outhit the leafs 44-42

Blocked shots 17-14 Jets

Giveaways 13-9 Jets

Takeaways 9-7 Toronto

Pavelec? A couple of game savers. Another good game by the Pav man.

listening to the play by play team on Sportsnet, I thought for most of the game the Jets were down by 5 goals. I got to hear how bad Trouba is, how bad Myers is, what a scumbag Byfuglien is, and yet the score was 2-1 Jets most of the time. Can't wait until Beyak is back...tired of this partisan play-calling.

Im curious, I know Maurice had them beef up a bit and stay fit last offseason, which I thought helped them down the stretch, was that a prerequisite this past off season too? aside from the Habs game, of the games I've watched theyve seem to be bigger and faster then the opponents they've faced as far as i can tell

Make no mistake the Jets are big team and when they play a physical game like they did tonight it takes a toll on the opposition.

Living in Calgary I get to see the Flames a lot on tv. They are a quick team but small. They get knocked off the puck & lose battles along the boards. Goaltending is horrid. Everyone thought the Flames were the next up & coming team but looks like they played over their heads last season... I look at the Jets & they're skilled players & the Flames with theirs. Pretty similar but the lack of size kills them. 

What a genius move by Burmi to take that penalty to set up the goal. Now that's balls. ;)

Could you hear the disapointment in Mike Johnson's voice as he repeatedly indicated how close Burmi was to only having one skate on the ice coming out of the box as he took the puck.

The puck at times really seemed to be jumping off the Jets stick this game, a bit frustrating but what I really enjoyed watching was the Jets taking it to the leafs the last seven minutes or so of the game and Leafs just trying to hang on for overtime. A big part of that is influenced by our coaching. I like it. We're playing to win, not to lose.

What a genius move by Burmi to take that penalty to set up the goal. Now that's balls. ;)

Could you hear the disapointment in Mike Johnson's voice as he repeatedly indicated how close Burmi was to only having one skate on the ice coming out of the box as he took the puck.

The puck at times really seemed to be jumping off the Jets stick this game, a bit frustrating but what I really enjoyed watching was the Jets taking it to the leafs the last seven minutes or so of the game and Leafs just trying to hang on for overtime. A big part of that is influenced by our coaching. I like it. We're playing to win, not to lose.

Yeah that was hilarious how many times they analyzed Burmi's feet to make sure that he had both feet on the ice, and the disappointment was palpable as they just couldn't prove that he didn't have both feet out of the box before he got the puck.  Just such homerism.  Tonight do we get Beyak doing the play by play?  I expect another tough game as Ottawa plays a lot like Montreal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-maurice-burmistrov-enjoy-winning-in-toronto/

Any lip readers able to tell what Maurice is saying to Burmi? I hope Burmi is saying he took the penalty on purpose lol. He says something to get a hilarious reaction from the coach.

what a fantastic goal! burmistrov stops instantly, loops around.... that guy has skills. wow.