Blue Jackets Fire Todd Richards, Hire John Tortorella

bigg jay

If blue jackets lose tonight they have to play something like 22 over .500 to make the playoffs. They might be eliminated shortly. That's why talk of changing coaches

Hard to make trades to impact your team this early. Jackets spent money and had higher expectations. Coach is toast

Supposedly they want Claude Jullien. But lawless says Carlyle and Torts are first in line. Id fire my coach early to get Carlyle before someone else does, if I was in the market for a new coach

That didn't take long.  

@DarrenDreger is reporting that the @BlueJacketsNHL have fired head coach Todd Richards. John Tortorella has been named interim coach.

I agree.  How on earth does that clown get jobs.  Sure, he will yell and scream and punish the players and they might even perform better under duress.  But I cant imagine it lasting very long.  In fact, since he's "Interim", if Im the players, Im tuning him out sooner rather than later to prevent "Interim" turning into a multi year deal.

I had heard he still had time on his Canucks deal to the tune of $2m per year.  So Jackets must be paying him a ton.

Blue Jackets have to give the Canucks a 3rd round pick in compensation for hiring a guy they fired. Such a weird system...

It's so stupid that teams have started doing that now. Just so petty. They should be happy that they don't have to pay fired people never mind trying to milk draft picks out of the team hiring these people. It goes against the spirit of the rule. Compensation for hiring people that teams want to keep makes 100% sense, draft picks for fired people totally ridiculous. 

Randy Turner is one of those guys that thinks he's hilarious but he's actually not remotely funny.  But this is his best line ever:

randy turner         @randyturner15

FYI, original premise of Back to Future 2 was for Marty McFly to travel to Oct. 21, 2015 to stop Blue Jackets from hiring John Tortorella.

@Teddier: Now if Chevy could roll Buff into Saad whilst the Blue Jackets are going through this bi-polar period that would be great...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: On the 2nd-round pick going to Van for Torts, the Jackets have until June 1 to decide if it's 2016, 2017 or 2018 pick

@TSNBobMcKenzie: John Tortorella's contract with CBJ is for this season and two more, same as his remaining time on VAN contract. VAN paying "some of it."

Columbus management has made so many mistakes that the coach takes blame for, should never have signed Horton to free agnet contract as insiders had always thought he was a bit damaged, signed goalie bob which at the time seemed like a good deal but will be an albatross contract, gave Foligno way to much money and the trade for Saad is still up in the air, add to it there best player has 5 guys making more money than him.

This must be exhilarating for anybody in the Canucks management. They save money, move on from a bad hire and get a high daft pick back in return. They must be thinking about who else they can fire.

And Bob Hartley and the Calgary Flames must now be marking their date with the Blue Jackets on their calendars.

"Stay away from the corridors, Bob!"

Happy to see John Tortorella back in the NHL. An idiot doesn't win a Stanley Cup, make eight playoff appearances, and win 444 regular season games by accident (First American coach to win 400 games by the way). It's not his fault Mike Gillis killed the Canucks, and it's unfortunate most people's opinions of him are based off of that season, and his temper. If he wins (and his track record proves he does that quite regularly) then that's what matters most. If you choose not to like the guy because of his antics, so be it I get that, but he's a winner, bottom line. Great hire by Columbus.

Happy to see John Tortorella back in the NHL. An idiot doesn't win a Stanley Cup, make eight playoff appearances, and win 444 regular season games by accident (First American coach to win 400 games by the way). It's not his fault Mike Gillis killed the Canucks, and it's unfortunate most people's opinions of him are based off of that season, and his temper. If he wins (and his track record proves he does that quite regularly) then that's what matters most. If you choose not to like the guy because of his antics, so be it I get that, but he's a winner, bottom line. Great hire by Columbus.

I think the question that needs to be answered is does his coaching style still fit in today's NHL. Even if he does turn things around in Columbus and makes them into a winner, I wouldn't want him representing and being the face of my franchise.

No coach in the NHL is worth a top 40 draft pick, IMO. Torts antics aside, it's a pretty bad move made of desperation.