Around the NHL

Honestly I'm thinking perhaps the Jets should trade Trouba. They can likely get a killing for him being so young and he just seems to have that attitude that the only way he stays in Winnipeg is if he's paid top dollar. 

If he plays the way we expect for 2-3 more years, I'd sign him to that deal.  But if he wants us to show him the money, he has to show us the consistency and top end talent.  Plus, bridge makes more sense because 2-3 year bridge plus 8 year keeps him here longer.

Lets not forget this paragraph from Campbell's article:

It’s important to note that these numbers have been basically starting points from each of the player’s camps in their negotiations with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, who has not commented at all on potential progress or stumbling blocks to talks.

If this was their starting point, don't think this was the expectation of what their agents thought the final number would be.   However it is interesting that this info was leaked.  Have to think negotiations have hit an impasse.

Actually, if I were Chevy and the Jets had their 3rd round pick in 2016, I would offer Maatta a serious offer for 7 years.

That's a pretty bold move for a team that's got two high profile RFAs of their own to deal with.

The Pens don't have the cap room, we do.

You don't think Maatta is worth 36 over 7 years? It'd cost us a 1st and a 3rd but we don't have our third this upcoming draft so moot point...

I'd give Buff 40 over 5 or tell him to start packing. Ladd I would offer 5.8m over 6 or tell him to start packing too. Trouba I would offer 3m per over 2 years or 48m over 8. Scheif I would offer 44m over 8 years. Lowry gets a bridge at 2m per for 3 years and Hutch gets 1.1m per year for 2 years. Armia I would offer 1m per year over 3 years.

If Trouba is starting at $7 mill a year for 8, you should be able to lock him in at $6 for 8 years...  I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I'd say Buff and Ladd are pretty much gone.  If there was ANY way to pry Muzzin out of LA or Lindholm from Anaheim... 

It would be nice to lock up Trouba and Scheifele for 8 years but if it is a bridge, lock them up for 8 at the next negotiation.

26 and negotiate an eight year deal and the player's contract ends at 33....not a bad age for a contract to end really.

Except that contract will probably be $10 million a season...

It would be nice to lock up Trouba and Scheifele for 8 years but if it is a bridge, lock them up for 8 at the next negotiation.

26 and negotiate an eight year deal and the player's contract ends at 33....not a bad age for a contract to end really.

Except that contract will probably be $10 million a season...

And at that time $10m might be fair market value. Plus you still get first dibs on the player in his prime rather than losing him to free agency.

Ladd isn't worth it. Neither is buff. Trouba is on coke if he thinks 20 points gets him 7 million

Trade Ladd. Trade buff. Sign trouba at 7 years 42 million. Trade for Hamonic.

I'd even go 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 for Trouba. Combined 7 years 45 million. Fair

The fact that buff and Ladd think they should be getting superstar elite money says it all. Trade them now

At this point in his career Trouba is not worth what he is asking for, not even close. Once he and his agent gets off the meds they will sign a 2 year 4 mil. bridge contract, just hasn't done enough to warrant a long term contract yet. Being paid more than Doughty, Karlsson,Seabrook, and Keith is a joke unless he doesn't want to play here and if throwing out outrageous numbers.

Chicago  trades Trevor Daley to Pittsburgh for  Rod Scuderi 

and they eat salary...  just bizarre

pens fired the wrong guy

Daley is 4 years younger but that's the only positive in this trade. Pittsburgh is a prime example of a team that gives and takes on big contracts for little return i.e. Stanley Cups. Rutherford left Carolina in a mess and looks like he will do the same to Pittsburgh, Mario can't be happy no wonder he's trying to sell the team