O'Shea believes Bombers better than their record

Fatty Liver

Bombers are better than their record

Riders are better than their record

1967 Bombers were better than their record

Whatever......meaningless cant....

1967? Jeez, c'mon. That '68 team with its 3-13 record was the best team ever. As Blue Bomber Head Coach at the time Joe Zaleski used to say."We're optimistic."

Blinding light at the end of that particular tunnel.....

I'd say with Drew Willy we are 6-6 at worst so he's not wrong. Not sure why some of you expect him to say they are worse than their record, I mean who the heck says that..

Starting RB INJURED... Starting QB injured... yeah, the team is better than their current record. Theres no doubt about it.. They aren't like 10-4 or 9-5 better but they are at least .500 if Willy was still healthy, probably better. 

Don't think some of you really realize how important Drew Willy is to this team, he's what makes the O work... he's the guy, he's done for now tho so yeah, we aren't gonna be as good without him. Cotton is a loss but losing your starting QB, man that's the end of your season really. 

Look at Sask, Montreal for that matter, BC now... 

every team outside of Edmonton who has lost their starting QB to injury THIS SEASON, so that doesn't include the argos, isn't good. 

Look what happens to Hamilton in the coming weeks, when you lose your best player and your teams MOP... yeah, you aren't gonna be as good.

With Willy we MIGHT have one more win. However, Willy's numbers were dropping and even with him in we weren't competitive against teams with a good defence. Good teams prevail even with major injuries.

Watch the interview of when he says this...lots of context missing. Not as maddening when you see the video...

Agreed. And it's seriously a dumb question to ask.

It was a softball question.  All O'Shea had to do is give him one of those sideways glances and say something like "Our record is our record".  He's refused to play along with questions he thinks are silly in the past.  This was one of those times where he should have.

I listened to the Coach's Show on Monday and there was one subject that came up often. The callers were asking what he planned to do about Marcel Bellefeuille. In true MOS style he covered the subject pretty much the same way he had done re: Keale all of last year. No problem with Marcel, he's very intelligent and a valuable coach. Being stubborn MOS will possibly stick with MB until they both get fired.

Healthy we have a decent team but right now we have a bunch of guys pretty well working when they feel like it not fearing any consequences. 

What is he going to say? MB sucks and that we have no hope?

No, not at all. What I would expect is recognition of weaknesses and some detail on how they are addressing it. As time goes on coaches here seem to say less and less and that only adds to fan frustration.

I like to bring up coach Ritchie whenever discussion the last few coaches. He was a crusty fellow but he did tend to answer the questions even if it lacked more detail or was curt. I don't know but it just seems like our last few coaches understood that part of the coach's job is throwing a bone to the paying audience. There is nothing worst than turning on the radio after another loss and not getting any indication if the coach knows what is wrong and how to fix it.

His team has beaten a team with a even worst record than his twice, and has gotten distroyed by the upper echelon teams enough said. At the end of the year he'll be talking about this team in past tense

I'm betting he wishes he could just slide away, unseen, out the back door never to be heard from again.

What is he going to say? MB sucks and that we have no hope?

No, not at all. What I would expect is recognition of weaknesses and some detail on how they are addressing it. As time goes on coaches here seem to say less and less and that only adds to fan frustration.

I like to bring up coach Ritchie whenever discussion the last few coaches. He was a crusty fellow but he did tend to answer the questions even if it lacked more detail or was curt. I don't know but it just seems like our last few coaches understood that part of the coach's job is throwing a bone to the paying audience. There is nothing worst than turning on the radio after another loss and not getting any indication if the coach knows what is wrong and how to fix it.

And he defended Etchevary in public last year too and everyone said he'd stubbornly stick with him until they were both fired too. People really need to get over the non answers O'Shea gives in public. Talk is cheap but so many people here treat it like gold. 

It appears that with Willy back and everything working, this team is able to flirt with a .500 record, but in its present condition, its about a 5 and 13 group.

I don't agree with that. Maybe a couple wins more than now. They're 6-12 or 7-11 with Willy. Still nowhere near good enough.

It appears that with Willy back and everything working, this team is able to flirt with a .500 record, but in its present condition, its about a 5 and 13 group.

I don't agree with that. Maybe a couple wins more than now. They're 6-12 or 7-11 with Willy. Still nowhere near good enough.

That doesn't even make any sense.

When Drew Willy finished a game this year, they were 3-1 ... even when you count the one he left late, we're 3-2

So you think he stays healthy the rest of the year and only manages at best 4-9?

People just LOVE the hyperbole. Whether it's with win/loss records or salaries, they throw around numbers like "6-12" or "250k" like they have any clue what it means.

Here's the reality: with Drew Willy, we were a COMPETITIVE football team. With him in the lineup starting and finishing a game, we were 3-1 ... could've been 4-0, could've been 2-2. But we competed every game and had a shot. Logical thinking suggests that doesn't balance out at 6-12 unless we REALLY had things not going our way.

When Drew Willy finished a game this year, they were 3-1 ... even when you count the one he left late, we're 3-2

So you think he stays healthy the rest of the year and only manages at best 4-9?

Yep. You seem to forget that we were 5-1 last season & then went 2-11 the rest of the way with Willy as the starter. I don't see much of a difference between last year's team & this year's on offense. We don't have the offensive line to make a difference like last year. We don't have good coaching on the offensive side of the football like last year. Thanks to Ritchie Hall, our defense is average to slightly above maybe but it's improving. However, the defense can't hold us in every game when the offense can't move the football. Our Special teams coverage is horrible & has been all season. We don't have the talent & the Bombers are not a very good team.I like Drew Willy but he wouldn't make that much of a difference, I believe. 

People just LOVE the hyperbole. Whether it's with win/loss records or salaries, they throw around numbers like "6-12" or "250k" like they have any clue what it means.

Here's the reality: with Drew Willy, we were a COMPETITIVE football team. With him in the lineup starting and finishing a game, we were 3-1 ... could've been 4-0, could've been 2-2. But we competed every game and had a shot. Logical thinking suggests that doesn't balance out at 6-12 unless we REALLY had things not going our way.

Okay Mike, whatever. People use hyperbole all the time. They banter around 6-12 or 5-13  as it means poor to mediocre. So, people here do have a clue whether you like it or not. 

The reality is that the injury that took Willy out of the lineup for multiple games was going to happen sooner or later.  So the idea of Willy staying healthy and keeping the Bombers competitive for an entire year is just a fantasy.

The reality is that the injury that took Willy out of the lineup for multiple games was going to happen sooner or later.  So the idea of Willy staying healthy and keeping the Bombers competitive for an entire year is just a fantasy.

Add to the fact our coaching staff & Walters actually thought Marve & Brohm could start & play well so they sat on their fat asses all last off season at the qb position just points out how bad things are with this team. I mean, they weren't even close in their evaluations. 

Yep. You seem to forget that we were 5-1 last season & then went 2-11 the rest of the way with Willy as the starter. I don't see much of a difference between last year's team & this year's on offense. We don't have the offensive line to make a difference like last year. We don't have good coaching on the offensive side of the football like last year. Thanks to Ritchie Hall, our defense is average to slightly above maybe but it's improving. However, the defense can't hold us in every game when the offense can't move the football. Our Special teams coverage is horrible & has been all season. We don't have the talent & the Bombers are not a very good team.I like Drew Willy but he wouldn't make that much of a difference, I believe. 

If you didn't see the difference between Drew Willy this year and Drew Willy last year, I don't know what to tell you. The guy clearly took steps as a QB.

I think saying we could have been hovering around .500 is a very fair, cautious estimate. Like I said, we were a competitive football team. Maybe you've forgotten what Drew Willy was like earlier this year because we've been forced to watch absolute garbage ever since then, but he was operating at a very high level and it was pretty clear he had taken the next step in his development. Was he a finished product, a complete QB? No. But the strides he had made were obvious and we weren't going to be a 3-10 team the rest of the way with him.

This, I agree with. With the protection we were providing him? No way was a full year in the cards.

Sadly.

If you didn't see the difference between Drew Willy this year and Drew Willy last year, I don't know what to tell you. The guy clearly took steps as a QB.

I think saying we could have been hovering around .500 is a very fair, cautious estimate. Like I said, we were a competitive football team. Maybe you've forgotten what Drew Willy was like earlier this year because we've been forced to watch absolute garbage ever since then, but he was operating at a very high level and it was pretty clear he had taken the next step in his development. Was he a finished product, a complete QB? No. But the strides he had made were obvious and we weren't going to be a 3-10 team the rest of the way with him.

i never said Willy didn't develop. I said there are too many holes around him talent wise for him to make a huge difference. Until those holes are filled, with Willy or without him we're stuck where we are.