Chris Williams

holoman

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4055951-ontario-curt-rules-former-ticat-chris-williams-now-a-free-agent/

This article has a link to the court ruling. Before anyone craps all over Williams any further, it actually sounds like the Ti-Cats tried to pull a fast one on him, and nearly pulled it off if not for this ruling.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4055951-ontario-curt-rules-former-ticat-chris-williams-now-a-free-agent/

This article has a link to the court ruling. Before anyone craps all over Williams any further, it actually sounds like the Ti-Cats tried to pull a fast one on him, and nearly pulled it off if not for this ruling.

Really it is the CFL's fault for not following their own rules.

The decision of the Arbitrator was quashed and set aside on the grounds that the letter purporting to exercise Chris Williams' option was not clear and was not capable of being construed as a clear communication of an intention to exercise the option.

I take this to mean that both sides are now back to where they were before they went into 'binding arbitration.

I thought the court ruled that since he did not have a certified CFL agent that the contract was null and void.

No, the court essentially ruled that the letter sent to Williams prior to the 2012 season was incomplete and misleading. They (the Ti-Cats) were obligated to provide in writing a confirmation that they were exercising Williams option (the +1 in a 1+1). The letter also had him sign in confirmation that he received 'my 2013 option year letter' along with a poorly worded offer to extend his contract by one year at the same rate of pay as the previous year... it's confusing in part and in whole; the Ti-Cats meant to sign him for a third year at the same rate of pay; and it's obviously not in Williams best interest to do so. Add to all this the fact that the CFL was knowingly dealing with a contract adviser/agent that was not registered with the CFLPA, and you've got all the grounds you need for Williams to be declared FA.

It's a dry read, and I don't recommend it at all. But that's my take on it.

I thought the court ruled that since he did not have a certified CFL agent that the contract was null and void.

Not actually...

The court ruled that the letter the Tiger Cats sent to Williams to exercise their right to force him to play out the option year in his contract was insufficient per the terms of the contract he signed initially.

Essentially at the start of a player's option year the player's team must send a letter to the player telling them that the team is exercising its option to keep the current contract valid for the rest of the year. 

The letter the Ti-Cats sent was, per the court's opinion, vague in that intent and THEREFORE the Ti-Cats did not adequately meet that requirement of the contract they signed with Williams. 

---

Basically this won't affect any other teams if their boilerplate letter to the players to inform them that the team is going to renew their contract for the option year isn't as shitty as the Ti-cats boilerplate is.

If signing a contract without an agent was enough to void a contract, there would be  lots of players not playing...Didn't Stanford Samuels sign a contract without an agent?

It wasn't voided because he signed without a registered agent - the court seemed to agree with the arbitrators decision that the breach of the collective bargaining agreement caused by signing without a registered agent wasn't fundamental to the CBA contract and therefore would not void the contract

Well, that was clear as mud. I hate lawyers.

The CFL and Ticats have said they are going to appeal the ruling so I believe Williams should still be considered under contract until the appeal is heard.

If signing a contract without an agent was enough to void a contract, there would be  lots of players not playing...Didn't Stanford Samuels sign a contract without an agent?

Players can represent themselves or iirc have a family member represent them - that's not a problem. When it comes to agents they are supposed to be registered with the CFLPA. Williams' agent at the time was not (and still isn't) registered with the CFLPA. But as was said that had nothing to do with the ruling.

It wasn't the CFL that wasn't following rules, it was the Ticats. This is from another article about the court ruling:

Palmer also found Hamilton had picked up the option on Williams's contract last October in accordance to the CBA but didn't use the exact language surrounding the renewal as laid out in the agreement.

But he also ruled that wasn't enough to null the agreement.

Palmer was the arbitrator btw. It seems the Court disagreed about it not being enough to void the contract.

It doesn't really matter in regards to Williams.

He chose to sit out the year and Hamilton chose to keep him under contract.

This will not end here and now.

It will be appealed and drag on, essentially long enough for the same end result.

No Williams this year for anybody.

Sniff, sniff. So sad. I hope the guy rots.