Is Irvin Riding Shotgun for O'Shea?

LeBird

Last season and through TC I advocated for people to trust the coaching decisions on who plays or not. As an ex-coach myself, I know that there are many more variables than who the most talented player is that goes into the decision. If the coaches still want to start Brohm ahead of Marve this week then I suggest they cut them both and bring in new backups.

Brohm clearly does not have the ability to be a successful CFL QB. The two outings this year should have earned him his walking papers. It is mystifying that he is not the 3rd string. This clearly indicates to me that there is something so deeply wrong with Marve's attitude or ability to grasp the playbook that the coaching staff just won't trust him with the offence. In that case he needs to go too.

I like Marve's level of talent WAAAAY more than Brohm's. I think any person who has watched an ounce of football knows who has more physical talent. The fact that he remains behind Brohm can only mean he is either not coachable, or has a **** attitude. Either way, he needs to go too if vast improvements aren't made by both him and Brohm in their on field performance.

This pining for Marve needs to end. If he can't pass a scrub like Brohm on the DC, it isn't because he is a future all star.

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and go against the crowd on this one. I don't think Bellefeuille is a particularly great OC, but I don't think he's the problem either right now.

I think Willy has thrived in this system, and I think it actually does play to his strengths.  Willy's also gotten better at reading and reacting to blitzes, which was a big problem early on.

At this point I think any system would be downright awful with Brohm at QB. I don't think Marve is going to be the answer either, but we're at the point where its his turn to see if he can make something happen.

MB is definitely a problem.  His plays are lackluster and predictable.  By the end of the half the other team has figured us out.  Like others have pointed out, look what he did to Calvillo in Montreal.

People can talk about his work with Calvillo all they want. It was worth considering his work with Calvillo when we hired him, obviously, by looking at his prior work and seeing his successes and failures. 

He's been here long enough that we can judge whether he is the right OC for us based on what he is showing as Bomber coach. I see an offense that's been able to attack downfield often yet still manage to maintain a high completion rate from their (starting) QB. 

I think almost every fan in the CFL feels their OC is too predictable. Its always easy to look back on it. Part of me feels that fans want some ridiculous trick plays consistently, but that's not part of the discussion here, just a tangent on my part.  I think if you study the offense week in and week out you can see the wrinkles he keeps adding. The formations and movement prior to the snap for instance have shown a clear desire to show the current opponent one thing, and present further options in later weeks. Little things, like having Moore head towards the QB with the potential of taking a hand off.

All this isn't to say MB is perfect. He deserves his share of the blame as the guy who's in charge of the offense. Still, MB gets little of the praise when the offense works and seemingly the most blame when the offense doesn't. Meanwhile, Willy struggled against blitzes early in the season, there are still several OL struggling to maintain blocks consistently, and Brian Brohm flat out can't hit an open receiver. Anytime Willy gets hit we're reminded that MB's offenses have had QBs take a lot of hits. This is a valid criticism if applied correctly, but often I think here it isn't. For example, Tyler got blown backwards and beaten immediately on the play Willy got hit on. Other times Willy has failed to identify the direction of the blitz, resulting in a hit. None of this is on MB. Now, there have been times when we've reduced the protection in favour of spreading out the offense, and in some of these cases I think the criticism of getting his QB hit is warranted. 

The thing I'm most hoping for is Willy to stay healthy, because I think he can be outstanding in this offense. And if he isn't, then at least we have more film to work off of when fans are evaluating both Willy and MB. Having Brohm play is complicating the evaluation and probably providing a more negative outlook on this offense, in my opinion.

I think Willy is the reason our offense does so well on the field more then MB system.  I brought up Montreal because it's so obvious.  But look what he did in Hamilton when he was OC or HC.  Zippo.  He runs such a vanilla offense and it's so predictable.  And come on, look at our running game.  It's terrible, and we have two really good RB's.  His running plays are so lame everyone knows exactly what to look for.  Not only that, but he completely abandons the run game half the time when he should be using it.  Brohm goes out and the RB's never see the ball the rest of the game almost.  Your second string goes out and is struggling, and instead of using all your weapons, you keep having him throw.  It's like he just decided in his head "well we lost now that Willy is out, might as well give Brohm some practice reps".  It blows my mind and I'm tired of watching it, it's pathetic. 

Marve or Davis(?) may or may not be the best alternative if Willy goes down or is ineffective, and all but CNIB clients have twigged onto the fact that Brohm is NOT the answer. It is a complete puzzlement as to why 0'Shea et al haven't figured this out. As bad as Brohm is, if Marve is worse, he ought to be dragged out in the street and shot immediately. If our recruitment people cannot find a QB who is better than Brohm, they ought to suffer the same fate.

Marve or Davis(?) may or may not be the best alternative if Willy goes down or is ineffective, and all but CNIB clients have twigged onto the fact that Brohm is NOT the answer. It is a complete puzzlement as to why 0'Shea et al haven't figured this out. As bad as Brohm is, if Marve is worse, he ought to be dragged out in the street and shot immediately. If our recruitment people cannot find a QB who is better than Brohm, they ought to suffer the same fate.

Could it be O'Shea has the same bias about Brohm he did last year about EJ? Where's that guy now? I'll freely admit I am not the smartest guy on this site. So I have to rewatch plays a lot of times to see what was probably apparent to many on the live showing. So after having watched Brohm's every play with the use of the PVR I am not convinced the two interceptions where the player did not catch the ball were all the receivers's fault. 

the funny thing is that MOS says that marve has not run any plays in practice, u would think that the wpg media would say, hey fans, that is correct, i never say him take any reps during practices, maybe he is hurt, but all they paint is the neg side of this, was any one at practice last week, is so do u remember if he took any reps

You are mistaken, front page headline in the Braille World News was "Brohm Sucks Again!"

You hope the coach isnt so stubborn as to stick with a losing proposition because he doesnt want to ostensibly admit he was wrong.

If you throw Mb into this equation as well it starts to make sense ,at least to them.