Confederate Flag

I guarantee that everyone will be able to obtain rebel flags cheaply and quickly for the forseeable future, and they will face no legal sanction for possessing them. (In the US anyway. Canada, who knows?)

They're just not gonna get to buy them with free Prime shipping.

Amazon has the right to do so though. It's private business. Let me know when it's a crime to wear a battle flag t shirt.

No one said its a crime. You said no one is talking about banning it but obviously that's not true if Amazon banned it.

No one here was talking about banning it.  I was referring to us discussing removing the flag from government buildings and then responses being "Good grief, ban everything! Whats next!?" sort of thing...

Its not really a banning so much as a private business deciding they dont want to sell racist symbols that are being used in hate crimes.  I assume that will loosen up in time but so soon after several people were murdered, I can understand the sensitivity.  They still have Dukes for sale, so thats good.

Honest question, is any kind of symbol actually illegal? Like, say, a swastika, could I be arrested for wearing a big swastika shirt?

Germany has very strict laws about any Nazi symbolism.  A few years ago, wrestler JBL goosewalked around the ring and was nearly arrested.

The problem with using the swastika as an example is the many cultures that use it as a positive symbol.  My personal opinion is if someone wants to wear it, or the battle flag, that is their right.  But it doesnt preclude the rest of us from acknowledging their ignorance.

Another interesting aspect is the social media presence.  Many people I know have been "liking" or sharing stories of support for the battle flag.  I hope none of them are applying for a job anytime soon...

I'm just wondering in our society if there is any precedence for something being "banned".  What does "banned" even mean?

I dont know the specific laws but I would think there are certain things covered under hate crimes.  Wearing a Swastika probably just gets you scornful looks but spraypainting it on the side of a synagogue is going to be a problem above and beyond mere vandalism.

Objects and symbols can also change their meanings over time. There are many examples, which I'm sure I don't need to name them all.So, with that in mind, what if the Confederate flag changes its meaning into a symbol against government control, tyranny and the stealing of our freedoms? (Which to me seems to be happening) If it does, I would fly it.

Good luck with that one. Sounds like something people that want to fly it for negative reasons would give as an excuse to fly it. The swastika is still a positive symbol in many places but I doubt in western civilization it's going to be brought back

You should fly the "don't tread on me" flag of you feel that strongly about it. I don't have a flag pole but if I did Id just fly the Canadian Flag.

• 2 months later...

(CNN)Months after a convoy of pickup trucks waving large Confederate flags rumbled past a birthday party in suburban Atlanta, a grand jury has indicted members of the group on terror-related charges.

The indictments charge 15 members of an organization known as Respect the Flag with violating Georgia's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act and making terroristic threats. If convicted, they could face up to 20 years in prison

Melissa Alford, who hosted the July birthday party, where many of the attendees were black, said tensions flared when the trucks drove by the home in Douglasville, Georgia. The people holding the flags were also brandishing weapons, she said.

"They used the N-word and said they were going to kill people on my property," Alford told CNN affiliate WSB.

Members of Respect the Flag have described the day's events differently, telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that someone at the party threw rocks at them, triggering the altercation.

The group's leader, Levi Bush, who is among the people indicted, declined CNN's request for an interview. Other members of the group could not be reached for comment, and it was not clear whether they had legal representation.

The indictment alleges that Respect the Flag is a "criminal street gang," and that members of the group threatened "to commit a crime of violence" against people at the party, "with the purpose of terrorizing those individuals and in reckless disregard for the risks of causing such terror."

The prosecutor has said he won't discuss details of the case outside court.

"It would be inappropriate for us to get into the facts and details of the case," Douglas County District Attorney Brian Fortner told reporters this week. "I think that's better reserved for the courtroom."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which is representing some of the people who attended the party, praised the prosecutor for pushing forward with the case.

"These cowards chose unarmed African-Americans enjoying a peaceful birthday party to vent their violent racist hatred," Morris Dees, the organization's chief trial counsel, said in a written statement. "This is reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan -- modern-day night-riders terrorizing African-Americans in the name of Southern heritage."

Yeah except banning the word "bossy" is not the same as banning a racist flag. Its also not even a discussion about banning the Battle Flag. It's about removing a flag that wasnt even officially used by the confederate army from government buildings. Why on earth would anyone feel a sense of pride over the confederates anyway? Fighting to keep slavery? Sounds like a great thing to take pride in.

I especially love seeing people from here online talking about their "culture". yeah, you're from Selkirk, dont let the "man" take away your culture. lol Redneck losers.

Your blanket 'redneck' comments are laughable. Typical really. Someone disagrees Wih you they're redneck losers.

You have some guts for an Internet tough guy.

and you need an education in the real issues from the civil war.

History is written by the winners.

What does this mean exactly?

Maybe if we ban the ISIS flag they'll stop killing people.

Seriously though, banning the confederate flag is a joke and fixes nothing. If anything, it will drive the wedge deeper between people. Which is what the powers that be want.

What does this mean exactly? Powers that be want?

Racial divide.

Ever heard of divide and conquer?

Maybe if we ban the ISIS flag they'll stop killing people.

Seriously though, banning the confederate flag is a joke and fixes nothing. If anything, it will drive the wedge deeper between people. Which is what the powers that be want.

What does this mean exactly? Powers that be want?

Racial divide.

Ever heard of divide and conquer?

I was more wondering who these specific 'powers to be' are outside of the sweeping generalizations made here.