2015 NHL Draft And Trade Rumours

Rich

Round 4, Jets draft another centre (Czech Republic)

Michael Spacek, 5'11" 187 center

Spacek is a smart playmaker who can take full advantage of others’ skills and knows how to get the puck to those players who can finish. He makes plays on the move and through sticks and skates. He's not deterred in any way and while he doesn’t catch your eye with physical flash, he captures your attention with his mental effort and purpose.

http://www.tsn.ca/michael-spacek-right-wing-1.296783

Jets have no Round 5 pick, so next pick will be Round 6.

Round 6 Jets draft another centre.  

Mason Appleton (USA again)

6'2" 194 lbs.

Can't find any scouting report on him but last season with the Tri-City Storm, in 54 games he had 12 goals, 28 Assists (40 points) and 84 penalty minutes.

He also popped up in a site called hockeyfights.com, so I think he might be a bit of a goon.

Pumped about the Harkins pick, another guy that was available much later than he should have; Spacek rated top five Europe

Pipeline is looking really good; almost have a full team of realistic prospects

Ehlers-Scheifele-Roslovic

Connor-Lowry-Petan

Lemieux-Copp-Armia

Harkins

Chiarot-Trouba

Morrissey-Kostalek

Glover

Helleybuck-Comrie

So the draft looks like this:

Round 1 (17th) - LW - Kyle Connor (USA)

Round 1 (25th) - C - Jack Roslovic (USA)

Round 2 (47th) - C - Jansen Harkins (USA)

Round 3 (78th) - LW - Erik Foley (USA)

Round 4 (108) - RW - Michael Spacek (CZECH)

Round 6 (168) - C - Mason Appleton (USA)

Round 7 (198) - D - Sami Niku (FIN)

Round 7 (203) - C - Matteo Gennaro (CAN)

I wonder if the Jets find the USA to be under scouted. Lots of scouts always looking at the Canadian juniors leagues. It came out this week that the Jets employ twice the number of scouts than Toronto does (surprising with the budget Toronto could have).

Maybe they find more value in the USA systems that fall further in the draft than their talent would dictate.

Edited:  Apparently we had one more late pick in the 7th round, added it in.  So we did draft a Canadian after all!

So the draft looks like this:

Round 1 (17th) - LW Kyle Connor (USA)

Round 1 (25th) - C - Jack Roslovic (USA)

Round 2 (47th) - C - Jansen Harkins (USA)

Round 3 (78th) - LW - Erik Foley (USA)

Round 4 (108) - RW - Michael Spacek (CZECH)

Round 6 (168) - C - Mason Appleton (USA)

Round 7 (198) - D - Sami Niku (FIN)

Not one Canadian drafted, but lots of USA.

I wonder if the Jets find the USA to be under scouted. Lots of scouts always looking at the Canadian juniors leagues. It came out this week that the Jets employ twice the number of scouts than Toronto does (surprising with the budget Toronto could have).

Maybe they find more value in the USA systems that fall further in the draft than their talent would dictate.

I think your analysis here is bang on.

Harkins was born in the US but grew up in Canada and all of his hockey development has been in Canada.  He played in Vancouver growing up and his junior team was Prince George.  He even played for Canada at the U-18 Championship in April. I wouldn't lump him in with the other US players that the Jets drafted, who are true US born and raised players.

I think after the first couple rounds you just pick best player available as they are longer shots to even play in the NHL.

Just for comparison:

2011 - 3 Forwards, 3 Defensemen, 1 Goalie

2012 - 3 Forwards, 1 Defensemen, 2 Goalies

2013 - 3 Forwards, 5 Defensemen, 1 Goalie

2014 - 5 Forwards, 2 Defensemen, 0 Goalies

2015 - 7 Forwards, 1 Defensemen, 0 Galies

This is an interesting website that shows all of the Jets picks and their NHL stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00010675.html

Since 2011, we've only had 4 players with an NHL game under their belt and one of those is Andrew Copp with the one game he got at the end of last season.

I know it takes 3 - 4 years for a lot of these guys to make the NHL, and you see a lot of names there that should be in the NHL over the next couple of years, just an interesting look at how a team drafts and their NHL success.

Other than Sheifele and Lowry, I don't think anyone else from the 2011 draft is even still in our system.

Round 7 (203) - C - Matteo Gennaro (CAN)

Edited:  Apparently we had one more late pick in the 7th round, added it in.  So we did draft a Canadian after all!

With a non-Canadian name? Does that count?

Who did we get that second 7th round pick from? I never saw it on the board earlier.

It was there before.

1. The Washington Capitals' seventh-round pick will go to the Winnipeg Jets as the result of a trade on June 28, 2014 that sent Eddie Pasquale and a sixth-round pick in 2014 to Washington in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2014, Nashville's seventh-round pick in 2014 and this pick.[51]

The consensus in Sunrise is that the Jets had the best draft, top to bottom, of any team. The Jets had Kyle Connor fall into their laps at No. 17, and Jack Roslovic was a strong pick at No. 25. Erik Foley, at No. 78, could be one of those latter round picks we marvel at some years from now. Seven forwards, and four straight Americans to start for GM Kevin Cheveldayoff.

yahoo sports

I don't think Edmonton had a very good draft at all, yeah they got McDavid but he's just one player, one player won't make the difference. Talbot behind that D? I'm not sure he will be as good as they think he will be, 16 and 33 for Reinhart is a massive overpayment for sure...

Outside of McDavid, Edmonton didn't really do much.

It's not about taking one player cuz one player never makes the difference, it's a team sport, it's not baseball where it's basically pitcher vs batter, it's a team game, McDavid might be good but he can't win games by himself, might look good playing against 18 year olds but whats gonna happen when he gets nailed hard and believe me, he will be. 

I would put Edmonton near the bottom, they were gifted McDavid, he was the consesus number 1, you can't screw that pick up but if any team can, it's the oilers but regardless, taking a guy who is expected to go first? That's not having the best draft.. that's just taking the best player. 

Buffalo? Yeah they had a good day tho... giving up 21 for Lehner was a steep price tho but... Getting Eichel and O'reilly is definitely having a good day..

But really they only drafted Eichel, again a guy who you can't screw up on, he's consesus number 2..

Put it this way, if Wpg picked first, they'd have taken Mcdavid, If any team picked first it would be mcdavid, you can't screw it up, 2nd? those teams (name them all really) would have taken eichel.. That's not having a good draft, that's just picking the 2 best players or the 2 guys who they say are the best. 

McDavid, Talbot, Reinhart, Jones, Gryba is a good draft, even Bear

Edmonton needed defensive minded D and a goalie... they got that, McDavid is essentially a 'bonus'

By 2016-17, maybe their D looks like

Nurse-Schultz

Klefborn-Reinhart

Gryba-Musil

Or maybe we trade Buff for Nurse...

McDavid, Talbot, Reinhart, Jones, Gryba is a good draft, even Bear

Edmonton needed defensive minded D and a goalie... they got that, McDavid is essentially a 'bonus'

By 2016-17, maybe their D looks like

Nurse-Schultz

Klefborn-Reinhart

Gryba-Musil

Or maybe we trade Buff for Hall...

FYP

This is an interesting website that shows all of the Jets picks and their NHL stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00010675.html

Since 2011, we've only had 4 players with an NHL game under their belt and one of those is Andrew Copp with the one game he got at the end of last season.

I know it takes 3 - 4 years for a lot of these guys to make the NHL, and you see a lot of names there that should be in the NHL over the next couple of years, just an interesting look at how a team drafts and their NHL success.

Other than Sheifele and Lowry, I don't think anyone else from the 2011 draft is even still in our system.

Austen Brassard and Aaron Harstad are both still in the system as far as I know, they finished the season with the IceCaps. Brennan Serville is still playing in the NCAA. Jason Kasdorf went to Buffalo in the Kane trade. We don't own the rights to Yuen anymore.

Gotta also keep in mind about the 2011 draft, that was the year the team was moved here in like 2 weeks and then the draft was like a week or so later. Not much time there really, kind of a fly by your seat of the pants draft... Jets have drafted very well and honestly, i bet if they won the cup and picked 30th, they would still grab a gem of a player.