Jets Remove Scoreboard

I've yet to hear one reasonable argument for a 18K+ arena here. It just doesn't make sense at all for the market.

Not only does it make no sense for the market but the arena was built long before the return of the NHL was even possible.  So we're now talking build an 18,000 seat arena for the Moose.  Was never going to happen.

Cities are smaller then Winnipeg and building 18k arenas. You build for the future but this is Winnipeg where 4 lane roads are enough.

I've yet to hear one reasonable argument for a 18K+ arena here. It just doesn't make sense at all for the market.

Not only does it make no sense for the market but the arena was built long before the return of the NHL was even possible. So we're now talking build an 18,000 seat arena for the Moose. Was never going to happen.

Cities are smaller then Winnipeg and building 18k arenas. You build for the future but this is Winnipeg where 4 lane roads are enough.

Who? And just because they're building them doesn't mean they'll be successful.

Not only does it make no sense for the market but the arena was built long before the return of the NHL was even possible.  So we're now talking build an 18,000 seat arena for the Moose.  Was never going to happen.

If only Winnipeg had the same foresight as Glendale.

You do it for the future..

You spend millions of dollars and water down your market on the chance you might need be seats thirty years down the line?

Why would the jets need three thousand extra seats? If demand grew even more they'd raise prices.

Instead of IGF, they should have built a 65 000 seat domed stadium in case Winnipeg is granted an NFL team. Plan for the future!!

You do it for the future..

You spend millions of dollars and water down your market on the chance you might need be seats thirty years down the line?

Why would the jets need three thousand extra seats? If demand grew even more they'd raise prices.

Instead of IGF, they should have built a 65 000 seat domed stadium in case Winnipeg is granted an NFL team. Plan for the future!!

Sarcasm aside you can't build a dome, MTS has covered stadium rights.

Besides Fargo beat us to it. Freaking Fargo!

No way I'd want a dome here.

Nothing beats sitting outside for summer football.  Who wants to go sit inside when it is 30 degrees outside.  Not worth giving that up for a few extra events.

Even love the cold weather games in the fall.

Nothing beats sitting outside for summer football.  Who wants to go sit inside when it is 30 degrees outside.  Not worth giving that up for a few extra events.

With the season ending in Nov it would not really be needed. I just know in January I'd rather be in the FargoDome then IGF. And they only built it for 60m which was pretty good for the time.

With the season ending in Nov it would not really be needed. I just know in January I'd rather be in the FargoDome then IGF. And they only built it for 60m which was pretty good for the time.

How many events are there in January that can't be held in MTS Centre?

IMO the dome isn't worth the extra cost it would have incurred.

MTS should have been built with an eye on expansion. If needed in the future, it would be easier and less expensive to expand.

Another 1000-1500 seats wouldn't hurt and how much extra revenue would that bring in? Lots.

If the need isn't there, they still have the 15k seat building.

Best reminded of Saskatchewan Place now Sasktel Centre.

Per Wikipedia, "...the facility opened in February, 1988 with a seating capacity of around 7,800, It was expanded to 11,330 for the World Junior Hockey Championships in 1990. More additional permanent seating was added in 2008 and 2009. The current capacity is now 15,190 for hockey."

Good thing we expanding by 1 row else they'd have more seats :P

It is easy in hindsight to say that the MTS centre should have been built with a larger capacity, but it was no small feat to get the thing built in the first place.

The save the Eaton's group, the land, the funding.  The footprint that they built the building on makes it a challenge to make the building bigger.  They should have closed a lane on each side of the building to enlarge the footprint.  Good luck selling that on downtown streets.

And while True North had the foresight to check to make sure that the building was large enough to house an NHL team should it become available one day, there really wasn't much chance of the NHL coming back when that building was built.  It was built for the Moose.

MTS should have been built with an eye on expansion. If needed in the future, it would be easier and less expensive to expand.

Another 1000-1500 seats wouldn't hurt and how much extra revenue would that bring in? Lots.

Very little extra revenue compared to cost of installing. Unless you think they should have kept room for 1000 front row seats somehow.

It is easy in hindsight to say that the MTS centre should have been built with a larger capacity, but it was no small feat to get the thing built in the first place.

The save the Eaton's group, the land, the funding. The footprint that they built the building on makes it a challenge to make the building bigger. They should have closed a lane on each side of the building to enlarge the footprint. Good luck selling that on downtown streets.

And while True North had the foresight to check to make sure that the building was large enough to house an NHL team should it become available one day, there really wasn't much chance of the NHL coming back when that building was built. It was built for the Moose.

As much as I dislike Glenn Murray I believe he was the one who demanded the arena be large enough for the NHL. TN was content with an 8000 seat facility for the Moose

The save the Eaton's group, the land, the funding. The footprint that they built the building on makes it a challenge to make the building bigger. They should have closed a lane on each side of the building to enlarge the footprint. Good luck selling that on downtown streets.

And while True North had the foresight to check to make sure that the building was large enough to house an NHL team should it become available one day, there really wasn't much chance of the NHL coming back when that building was built. It was built for the Moose.

Whoops. Meant to add that the original plan called for MTSC to hang over the streets on either side thus being larger but the city would not allow the "tunnelling" effect.

They have since allowed the convention centre to do so though

Very little extra revenue compared to cost of installing. Unless you think they should have kept room for 1000 front row seats somehow.

1500 seats at 90 bean for 44 games is 5.94m a year. Almost 60m in ten years. Not chump change.

Also, another 1500 fans to spend money on concessions and in the neighbourhood before/after the game.

Not getting that much cash.

Spending the most money to add the cheapest seats is a non starter. You're not adding seats in row one. If you're raising the roof to add seats you are soending tens of millions of dollars to add the cheapest seats when they aren't needed.

True North isn't sitting around lamenting their bad luck in having too few seats. That's why jets tickets are so expensive. Supply and demand.