Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

not a bad idea behind it, I just watched that Live by Night movie and I'm not a big fan of someone being both main character and director

Dances With Wolves, Braveheart. Unforgiven, Annie Hall & Argo though he not so much the 'main' character.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Dances With Wolves, Braveheart. Unforgiven, Annie Hall & Argo though he not so much the 'main' character.

exceptions, not the rule. At least of the ones you mentioned they had really strong underlying stories,  would Batman have that?

It would be interesting to see how many directed and starred movies actually turned out well vs flopped.  I just think its a recipe to over cater to your character

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Rumours of Affleck dropping out altogether and Armie Hammer replacing him.  Or doing an in-universe passing of the torch with Affleck's Batman passing it on to Hammer's Dick Grayson.  Hammer would be a great Grayson.

The DCEU is like a reverse bomb that is slowly imploding.

I figured they were going to hand the keys to the DC Kingdom over to Affleck altogether.  But I imagine they have grown impatient with him. He's a thoughtful filmmaker who likes to take his time.  They need an executive who can head up DC with all the power therein, who wont be moved out or reassigned and who has the power to select directors etc for each movie.  Snyder wasnt the answer obviously, but I wonder if they'd go back to him.

The whole in-universe story concerning Batman made no sense from my perspective.  You're essentially beginning another new Batman story and you choose to go with an older Batman.  Okay, maybe that makes for a nice story (though it really had no creative impact on Batman vs Superman) but if you hope to get an entire series of films...say 5 films over 7-10 years, you're relying on Affleck to stay in Batman shape.

They should have thrown whatever it took at Bale and Nolan to stay on and add Superman etc to their Batman universe.  Not add everyone else to Superman's universe which wasnt that good to begin with.

And I really think they missed the ball. They are going in fast forward to catch up to Marvel and The Avengers but I think fans will grow to miss the earlier days of the MCU and DC should have started slowly and pieced it all together over time.  Batman as the iron Man of the DCU makes sense.

Some interesting rumors.  Affleck kept insisting there was no script and he would not make the film without a good script.  But rumors persisted that the script was much further along.  Speculation is the initial script was written by Affleck and Geoff Johns and then given to Chris Terrio to punch up.  Supposedly Terrio (who wrote Argo and also did re-writes of BvS and Justice League) finished his Batman re-write and submitted it to Affleck.  Then Affleck stepped down as director.

So was the script not good enough?  A script Affleck himself, Johns & Terrio wrote?  There were rumours the Batman script was a disaster and that WB didnt care and just wanted to make a Batman movie.  Affleck seems to be pushing back against that.  He wants to make a good movie, not just a movie.

How can WB's screw this up?

At what point does Affleck just throw a bone to his old pal and known comic book geek Kevin Smith? I mean you don't even have to let Smith write the whole thing but at least the man will keep them from going too far off the rails in regards to the characters. Just don't let him direct. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

At what point does Affleck just throw a bone to his old pal and known comic book geek Kevin Smith? I mean you don't even have to let Smith write the whole thing but at least the man will keep them from going too far off the rails in regards to the characters. Just don't let him direct. 

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  NO GOD NO!!!

Kevin Smith is the most over-rated thing to ever walk into Hollywood, kept afloat by his position as the King of Nerds.  He somehow tripped over himself and back-doored into writing one good movie in his life and a ton of bad ones.  Keep him far, far, far away from Batman please.

I mean sure, if he wants to submit a script for denial, thats fine.  But lets not take him seriously please.

Love love love Kevin Smith and the man knows comic books. He could absolutely get them back on the right path, at least as a writer. DC needs their own Joss Wheadon, and I'm sure Smith isn't it, but he's at least a good writer who loves DC and would want to salvage their rep. 

Smith's draft (titled Superman Lives) had Brainiac sending Doomsday to kill Superman, as well as blocking out the sun to make Superman powerless, as Superman is fueled by sunlight. Brainiac teams with Lex Luthor, but Superman is resurrected by a Kryptonian robot, The Eradicator. Brainiac wishes to possess The Eradicator and its technology. Powerless, the resurrected Superman is sheathed in armor formed from The Eradicator itself until his powers return, courtesy of sunbeams, and defeats Brainiac. Smith's casting choices included Ben Affleck as Clark Kent / Superman, Linda Fiorentino as Lois Lane, Jack Nicholson as Lex Luthor, Famke Janssen as Mercy, John Mahoney as Perry White, David Hyde Pierce as The Eradicator, Jason Lee as Brainiac and Jason Mewes as Jimmy Olsen.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I figured they were going to hand the keys to the DC Kingdom over to Affleck altogether.  But I imagine they have grown impatient with him.

Only as good as your last movie. Look at SW9 director. Bombed with FF4 reboot and he was off it replaced by someone who had a hit film even if it not get great reviews.

At what point does Affleck just throw a bone to his old pal and known comic book geek Kevin Smith?

YjlQoI7.gif

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Chasing Amy was a masterpiece.  But if a very experienced writer had made it Id be critical of some of the dialogue and directing.  Because Smith was young, it came across in such a way as the technical deficiencies were more like appreciable quirks of a really good film.

But over time, when a guy is a one trick pony of essentially taking the words and actions of rebellious teens intent on shocking their parents and makes films out it, it loses something.  its just...immature.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Only as good as your last movie. Look at SW9 director. Bombed with FF4 reboot and he was off it replaced by someone who had a hit film even if it not get great reviews.

Not that it matters but he was going to direct Han Solo.