Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

45 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I think we'll learn a bit about the back story in the trilogy, but they may keep that 30 years in between for books and possibly a new animated/tv series.

I think it was important for Kylo to be turned and to kill off the other Jedi, as I believe it is forcing Luke to look at the ways the Jedi and realize he needs to go back to the old teachings which have more to do with balance.

The international posters have confirmed that "The Last Jedi" is plural.  So most of us assumed The Last Jedi (singular) referred to Luke or Rey.  Some people think it might now refer to Rey and Kylo as the last of their kind (or Rey and Luke I suppose).  One plot element could be Luke being killed and Rey's training being interrupted, thus the Last Jedi (in a plural sense) are gone.  The fact Kylo isnt a Sith might lend credence to the idea that when good finally wins, it wont be Jedi beating Sith, but something else.  Although Disney ending the Jedi would be an interesting move...

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Horrible ending I thought. The whole 'we got to get him doped up' just took a decent movie off the edge.

There is one fatal flaw in the movie that took me out of it.  When asked if Trina drank the vodka the obvious answer is "how the heck should I know?" 

And I thought they missed out on one more important question that would have been good coming from the Co-Pilot.  When Whip goes to visit him, the co-pilot is understandably angry but Whip asks if he thinks they'd be alive if someone other than he (Whip) were flying that day.  The co-pilot says no, he knows they'd be dead and goes on to say the crash was preordained.  I would have liked him to continue that thread - tell Whip God put him at the controls because only he could prevent everyone from dying.  And then ask "you saved 96 lives...but what if you had been sober?  Could you have saved everyone?  Could you have saved even one more?"

Because I thought they made it a sort of black & white issue - yes he was drunk but yes he saved everyone so him drunk was better then everyone else sober.

Im biased because I love airplane films.  I bought the original Airplane movies on blu ray a couple years ago.  Great 70's disaster films!

EDIT: I mean Airport, not Airplane.  Airport 77 and so on.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not an upcoming movie, but one I watched again last night as it was on TV - Flight.  What a great film.

Anyone see Legend of Tarzan?  I PVR'ed it as the gf likes Skarsgard and I like Robbie.  Worth watching?

I saw it.  It was a little meh, but that's just me.  It wasn't bad, it just felt underwhelming.

14 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

latest trailer for this.  gotta say the teaser frosty posted made it look better.  Hopefully they tie in that prometheus movie

Im confused by this franchise.  I enjoyed the Alien films.  Prometheus sucked and I really dont get the connection to Alien.  And this trailer looks great but again, I dont get it.  What year is it?  Its a "prequel" to Alien right?

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im confused by this franchise.  I enjoyed the Alien films.  Prometheus sucked and I really dont get the connection to Alien.  And this trailer looks great but again, I dont get it.  What year is it?  Its a "prequel" to Alien right?

That's because Prometheus wasn't originally intended to tie into the Alien universe but they figured that they had to shoe horn it in some how, probably in an attempt to sell more tickets. 

As it stands though I don't think you have to put too much thought into the movie, it's an Aliens movie, just watch people be terrified of the monsters. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's because Prometheus wasn't originally intended to tie into the Alien universe but they figured that they had to shoe horn it in some how, probably in an attempt to sell more tickets. 

As it stands though I don't think you have to put too much thought into the movie, it's an Aliens movie, just watch people be terrified of the monsters. 

Prometheus, Convenant(+ one more according to the director) are all prequels to Alien.

TUP, you did not get the connection to Alien? It was like the same alien ship.

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Prometheus, Convenant(+ one more according to the director) are all prequels to Alien.

TUP, you did not get the connection to Alien? It was like the same alien ship.

It had been many years since I saw Alien but Premetheus was a prequel...and the Aliens on that planet were the Alien aliens?  But didnt the alien at the end look different? And was with the humanoid looking aliens at the beginning (and the dead pilot)...what was the point?  They seeded earth?  Or they created the Alien aliens?

Also, this company is the same company that owned the ship in Alien, right?  And in "our time" in Predator vs Alien?  They used that same actor as the founder of the company who was later the android, Lance Henrickson

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It had been many years since I saw Alien but Premetheus was a prequel...and the Aliens on that planet were the Alien aliens?  But didnt the alien at the end look different? And was with the humanoid looking aliens at the beginning (and the dead pilot)...what was the point?  They seeded earth?  Or they created the Alien aliens?

Also, this company is the same company that owned the ship in Alien, right?  And in "our time" in Predator vs Alien?  They used that same actor as the founder of the company who was later the android, Lance Henrickson

Here's the explanation.

The planet in Prometheus is not the same planet as Alien. Diff name.

The "aliens" are a hybrid of the "alien" creature and the host. Hence in Alien & Aliens same look. Alien3 it came out of a dog. In Prometheus the alien came out of an "engineer" guy.

Weyland/Weyland-Yutani tie into everything from Prometheus to A3.

AvP is not part of the canon of the franchise.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The humanoids from Prometheus are called "Engineers".  Unclear at this point if that refers to them creating humans, the Aliens, or both.  

Apparently in one of the first Alien movies, there was a scene that had one of the humanoids in full armour in their spaceship "driving chair" that was never addressed.  Prometheus was supposed to start filling that hole.

The current plan I think is to have two more movies that bridge to Alien.

Some theories out there is that the Engineers race was split into factions.  Some of which colonised planets and were the "science" type guys.  Some of the theories for Prometheus is that planet it place on was a military base for the Engineers and the Alien was created as an experiment that had gone horribly wrong.   So the humanoid from Prometheus would have been from the military branch of the engineers.

I think the basic premise of Prometheus is the Engineers created us along time ago, and now the Engineers (maybe a different faction) were going to go back to kill us.  Maybe the Alien was created to get rid of all the planets an opposing faction seeded.

Tough to say how much the next two movies will clear up what it all means.