Game 76: Blackhawks @ Jets

IC Khari

Just a bad break with the ref... Jets had some lapses, so did the Blackhawks - no team was outclassed here.  That last goal was a blown assignment, again a bad break.

This is also a team that just dismantled the Montreal Canadiens and Washington Capitals.  Those are good teams.

Jets are competitive in the toughest division in the league.  That spells above average.  Any other division and we're in the playoffs easy.

Hard to argue this team belongs in the playoffs when you enter the third up by one on home ice and allow two goals in a playoff push regardless of the opponent. Good teams don't let happen what just happened to the Jets.

What a load of crap. You see the ref interference? I suppose that had no bearing on the outcome? You obviously don't appreciate how much this team has improved and the adversity we've had to deal with. Still not a complete line-up. Anyway keep your opinion, I have my own.

I don't recall saying the team hasn't improved. That being said it's just still an average team overall that was riding a hot goalie in Hutch and has been riding a hot goalie the past couple of weeks with Pavelec. **** happens in a game regarding the linesman. We aren't the first team it's happened to and we won't be the last. You need to overcome it. If they were able to build on the lead or score after the game was tied it would have been a non issue. There was no killer instinct.

Yeah the sky is falling and we suck as a team. How could I be so blind?

Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit as you can't differentiate between average (which I clearly said) and sucking as a team (which I clearly never said) I'd be happy to debate the game if you can take the red white and blue sunglasses off.

Your opinion doesn't interest me. Besides you seem to think you know everything anyway.

Big difference is, is that I bring up examples to go along with my points. You just say wrong and move on. I think we have a little situation of the pot meeting the kettle here :)

Hard to argue this team belongs in the playoffs when you enter the third up by one on home ice and allow two goals in a playoff push regardless of the opponent. Good teams don't let happen what just happened to the Jets.

What a load of crap. You see the ref interference? I suppose that had no bearing on the outcome? You obviously don't appreciate how much this team has improved and the adversity we've had to deal with. Still not a complete line-up. Anyway keep your opinion, I have my own.

I don't recall saying the team hasn't improved. That being said it's just still an average team overall that was riding a hot goalie in Hutch and has been riding a hot goalie the past couple of weeks with Pavelec. **** happens in a game regarding the linesman. We aren't the first team it's happened to and we won't be the last. You need to overcome it. If they were able to build on the lead or score after the game was tied it would have been a non issue. There was no killer instinct.

Yeah the sky is falling and we suck as a team. How could I be so blind?

Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit as you can't differentiate between average (which I clearly said) and sucking as a team (which I clearly never said) I'd be happy to debate the game if you can take the red white and blue sunglasses off.

Agreed.  What a load of crap.

I watched mania too lol but I kind of agree with Mr perfect. That's 3 games now that I remember lost in last 30 seconds or so of the game. Team deserved a better fate it seems but just don't really get it. Hutch lost to Chicago last game in winnipeg too.

Took teams like the Hawks, LA  6-7-8 years to learn how to win these types of games and get that killer instinct....  We are in year 4 and need time to learn these things.

We are a better then avg team thats still got aways to go before we learn what it takes to be champs. There is no doubt we can play and beat any team in the league, its just going to take some time. 

Jet's defence was somewhat lacking in this game.

and even with the referee assisted goal, the game was tied, they had a power play, could not score, (wasn't there a shorthanded chance too)

then let in the winner.

tough loss.

Agree with everything here. I also thought Pav had the stronger game among the 2 goalies. Was that a 2 on none when we had the powerplay? 

You know it's strange, we get healthier and we don't win. Funny dat.

Death to the NYRangers all I can say at this point and go whomever plays L.A. next.

Chicago plays LA tonight...:)

I like the Jets, i think they play a great fun style but... reality is, if you look at the ROW number, we wouldn't be in the playoffs or even in a wild card position, the team is getting better but they aren't there yet, still some glaring weaknesses for sure. I don't blame Pavelec one bit but... goaltending is an issue and it has been for 4 seasons now, 6 or 7 or even 10 good games don't change that, Hutch is just a rookie, one who has struggled recently, goaltending needs to be fixed, penalties is an issue, some are iffy bs calls but they are still an issue, that's not a lack of skill problem, that's a mental one, stuart covering the puck with his glove? That's dumb, Buff elbowing shaw in the head? That's dumb...  there is still some dumbness to the team really lol, they aren't perfect but they are getting better and you know what, can say what you want but they went all in to make the playoffs this year, they still might (probably will) but... if they don't, it's going to be an interesting off-season.

Ducky says buff had a good game so we should trade him sarcastically, well... buff only has a year left, who knows what he's thinking really... you do trade him if he doesn't want to sign an extension, personally i think he does sign but if not, you HAVE to trade him, it's not even about wanting too, it's HAVE too or you will lose him for nothing and that would be awful.

Really need Little back and playing Perreault on the 4th line over slater was just a bad move, not sure how long it lasted but, didn't like it. 

I'll end on this tho, most people when the season started figured this team would be in the mceichel sweepstakes, they aren't, they very well could miss the playoffs or they could sneak in, but... regardless, they have exceeded expectations this season, not gonna pretend they are perfect, they aren't, but... they have definitely exceeded expectations and if they finish with 96 98 points and miss the playoffs, well jesus, what can you say really, most years 96 they say will get you in, Jets sitting at 90 with what? 5 games to go? They could run the table and finish with 100. Who would have thought that at the start of the year? 

Really sucks that they have lost 3 games in the last 30 or so seconds now, cuz you make it to ot and instead of 90, you have 93 points right now.. Man, it would suck if they missed by 3 or less, which if they do, it probably will be less than 3 points seperating the 8th and 9th place teams and that will really sting actually. I hope they make it but if they don't, i hope they miss by more than 1 or 2 points cuz yup... that would definitely be tough. 

But still, finish with 96 points or so and you miss? what can you say really.

Buff is in the east, AZ is in the pacific but... i don't really see teams tanking as the reason why the Jets would miss the playoffs. 

If they miss the playoffs, they had a good season but... it just wasn't good enough. It's really that simple, no excuses really, it's hockey, Jets could beat any team in the league on any given night, any team could beat anytime on any given night, even the tanking teams, not even sure i'd call it tanking, those teams just aren't very good really... but... 2 teams "tanking" have no real bearing on the Jets not making the playoffs.  Heres how it works, You take care of your own business and you will get in, what other teams are doing doesn't really matter, you have no control over that, you only have control on what you are doing.. If they finish with 96 points and miss, They had a good season but it just wasn't good enough. 

and One more thing I will say, Everyone seems to love Buff the Offensive threat but his D zone play is non existent, was last night apparently, the guy floats back, just reading through some comments on hfboards and lots of people are saying, yeah buff scored 2 goals but his d zone play left lots to be desired. I'm not sure what to do with Buff, he's a good offensive d man but d men are supposed to also play D and he doesn't do that very often, if buff pinches and gets caught, he's not hustling  back to help out. That's a problem. Listen, Karlsson from Ottawa is a good Offensive D man but the guy is horrible in his own zone, similar to Buff, great offensive D man but not so good at playing D.  I'll take 6 enstroms over 6 buffs any day really. You need D men who play D first, not guys who float out there, I get it, i love buff too, he's a great personality and one hell of a player but... he's not perfect and if he wants to play D, well, he needs to actually start playing D. The way i see it, Buff might be listed as a d man  but when he's on the ice, you pretty much have  1 d man out there with 4 forwards really. 

Trouba and Myers play better when they get more time on the ice, They are younger, they are better in their own zone, they are legit d men, they bring some offensive threat but... for the most part they are good d men first, buff is more of an offensive threat than a good d man.. In My opinion, i want D men who can play D first.. Would i trade Buff if the right offer came along? You darn rights i would. Would i try to re-sign him first? I probably would but i would want him to commit to playing D first, not just being called a d man but to actual concentrate more on playing D instead of always trying to jump in the play and become a forward out there.

When Myers or Trouba (apparently had a rough game last night) jump in, they hustle back to help out, Buff does not, that's a problem. I'm not sure i could justify paying buff big big money when he is a liability in his own zone. 

Enstrom didn't have his strongest game either but nobody should be judged by one game.

If Buff hadn't stopped that puck when he pinched and scored, the Hawks have a 2 on 0 or at best a 2 on 1.

You don't pinch at that stage of that game...period. He was playing WAY better D from Jan. 1 to the all star break. He needs to play better D.

Having said that, would I trade him? I would trade ANYBODY on the team if the right trade came along. That includes Trouba, Scheifele, Wheeler, etc...

I agree with TUP that Chevy should try as hard as he can to re-sign him before the season starts. Ladd, too.

For that matter, I would think he should try to re-sign Chiarot, Trouba, Staf, Frolik, Stempniak, and Postma....prolly missing a few, too.

I think most people, having been told where the Jets are in the standings with 6 games to go, would have taken this scenario at the start of the season.

We lost a game to the Hawks, not the end of the world. Tough loss? Arguably the toughest of the season. Season over? Not yet.

GO JETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trouba has too much confidence in himself. Tries to stick handle out of situations he shouldn't and gets himself in trouble. I thought he was better last year than he is now.

Enstrom played the puck on the 3rd goal like it was a live hand grenade. Stick it between your legs or just lay down on it. Anything but just flipping it away from yourself to the other team. Panic move from a veteran player.

No Buff really isn't, It doesn't matter who he is playing with, You get the good with the bad, It's what Makes Buff buff really... It don't matter who he's playing with, he will jump up in the play and get caught and not hustle back regardless of who he is playing with. He is a good player but he is more of a forward playing D. He doesn't come back to help, all other D men try to get back to help when they get caught, Buff floats back, I don't think that is debatable really. He is what he is, I'm glad i'm not Chevy, the smart thing might be to trade him, then again, if he is willing to sign a short term not huge money deal, how can you. 

No Buff really isn't, It doesn't matter who he is playing with, You get the good with the bad, It's what Makes Buff buff really... It don't matter who he's playing with, he will jump up in the play and get caught and not hustle back regardless of who he is playing with. He is a good player but he is more of a forward playing D. He doesn't come back to help, all other D men try to get back to help when they get caught, Buff floats back, I don't think that is debatable really. He is what he is, I'm glad i'm not Chevy, the smart thing might be to trade him, then again, if he is willing to sign a short term not huge money deal, how can you. 

Like i said before, I'd take 6 Tobys over 6 buffs any day. Yeah D men that produce points is nice but... D men who play D first and concentrate on D first help you way more.

It's a tough decision with Buff, It really is. He's at that age where it might make sense to move on from him, Honestly i think these last 6 games are very important to guys like Little,Ladd,Wheeler,Toby,Buff,Slater,Thorburn, Pav,  not gonna call them the Atlanta core but that's pretty much what they are. Next game is very important, let's see what happens. Do they come out and prove they belong or do they fold under pressure like they have for 4 seasons almost now. It's gonna be interesting to watch. Hoping for a big big win tomorrow night, but part of me thinks that the team is gonna come out and crap the bed.