Ducky

Ladd Little Stafford

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Lowry Burmi

Lemieux Petan Thorburn

Myers Toby

Trouba Morrissey

Stuart Chiarot

But really if Buff is traded.. it changes a couple things..

I could see buff to CBJ for Rychel Prospect and 2016 first.

Philly is possible too.

Detroit also

Florida.. dale Tallon is a fan.

Rational look at it

Buff plays wing with Lowry and ehlers on third line

Then d on power play

Then just trade him. He didn't want to play forward and won't sign here to play forward.

That's my point... this is the lineup that makes the most sense but we can't do it because Buff doesn't want to play wing.  He had playoff success because he was a winger... not D.

We have Myers and Trouba who can each play 25 minutes per game

Lowry and Buff would beat the crap out of teams and create a ton of space of Ehlers.  You could cycle your top three lines equally.

Some interesting thoughts of Jets blogger Peter Tessier:

The Winnipeg Jets aren’t Spending $$- Why?

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture to discover nuances and details that are not readily apparent. In this case it was comment from James Mirtle that got me looking at the salary situation of teams. He was on TSN 1290 in Winnipeg a few days ago, providing his usually excellent insight, as he mentioned where the Jets were in the salary cap hierarchy of the NHL- 3rd last.

RIght now the Winnipeg Jets sit with 12 million in cap space for this season. That’s a lot and it’s probably not because of the Canadian dollar. While its not clearly known how Jets co-owner David Thomson’s billions work their way towards the team assume he’s got enough money to cover currency arbitrage.

With a .90 Canadian dollar the Jets payroll would be 68,551,450 in Canadian dollars based on a very generous exchange rate. At the current .76 mark versus the greenback the payroll difference is 79, 289,155 in Canadian dollars. I may be optimistic in my thinking but I would wager that the 5th Baron of Fleet as the 25th richest person on earth can handle that 11 million slip.

Even if the Jets went all in to a 71 million US dollar payroll it would only add another 3.37 million in currency costs at today’s exchange rates on top of what they were already paying. Peanuts, especially when you see what those greedy Calgary owners want for their arena deal.

So what’s holding the team back from spending?

Perhaps it’s next year. Take all the existing contracts the Jets have on the books for next year
Jets Cap and do the following:

Add 6.2 million for Ladd and Byfuglien as they take identical deals
Add 3.8 million for Schiefele (which may be low)
Add 2.0 million for Lowry
Keep Halischuk at 750k
Keep Fraseer at 650k
Keep a spot at 2.0 for Clitsome replacement
Keep a spot at 1.05 for Harrison replacement
Keep a spot at 1.0 for Pardy replacement
Add Trouba at 5.0 million (which may be low)

Before there is even another goalie slotted in to back up or displace Pavelec in his final year the Jets are at 69.23 million in cap space. It disappears quickly and thus do savings matter now knowing expenditures are coming?

If you go to THIS LINK you will see the top end of the cap and it’s brought with teams in dicey cap situations. There’s no reason to think a deal is imminent between the Jets and one of the cap-strapped teams but… it does not mean there isn’t some talk going on, even if it amounts to nothing.

Teams only have three ways to create cap space, buy out a player (which has to happen before July 1), waive a player and only get back 900k of space, or trade a player. Injuries do create ‘artificial cap space’ but I’m not going to suggest teams are creating cap space by injuring players, at least not yet. With the Gary Lawless tweet saying that the Jets and representatives for Buff and Ladd have not spoken for some time it raises questions amongst fans. Are the Jets going to make a deal and who has the cap problems to make a deal with the Jets?

The problem of needing cap space and the benefit of having it are rarely linking teams together- it just looks nice. Trades and roster moves are still based on best fits and who can make the numbers work. There are teams who have to make some numbers ‘work’ and until the Jets extend Buff and Ladd or trade one of both, those two players and the Jets are going to be linked with many cap-strapped teams.

Regardless it still doesn’t explain or shed light on when the Jets will start spending money though. To trade one or both of those players to a higher cap-spending team means something at least equal or greater salary is coming back. The balancing act continues but it’s not about the cap yet, more so two of the player the Jets may decide to keep or trade.

Does anyone really think Lemieux is ready for the big team?

He is a 2nd line winger and 5th place in scoring on the Colts last season and rumor has it his team mates don't like him.

He goes back to the Colts.

Definitely back to the Colts.  I suppose the idea of the Jets telling Stemp they want to go younger *could* mean they see the 4LW spot as Lemiuex's.  They might see it as a spot for a guy like him to play and grow into a mid-six role.  More so than a player like Ehlers or Petan who are more offensively gifted.  But the Jets M.O. has always been develop.  But they will take a player who is ready, like Trouba.  So who knows.  I see him back to the Colts though.  Probably get the first few games with the Jets.

As it stands today, the Jets have 12 forwards signed.

I can't see Fraser playing too many games with the big team, if any.

I can't see Peluso playing more than half the games.

I can't see Halischuk playing more than half the games.

If Peluso and Halischuk take one spot between them (I hope not), that leaves 2 openings for forwards as of today (I am assuming Thorburn plays all 82 which I highly doubt). Ehlers, Armia, Petan, and Copp all have a legitimate shot at them in my opinion. The only other legitimate contender is Lemieuz but I see him going back to junior.

Lemieux is definitely my sleeper pick to make the team and stick this year... I think he fits on that 4th line in an energy type of roll, possibly even used on powerplays standing in front of the net... I don't know why but... he's definitely my sleeper pick.. I'd honestly guess he makes it over Armia who i think starts the year with the Moose. 

Just going on what McCambridge said at D camp... I think Armia is with the Moose. 

I dunno, only thing he said about was Lemieux was his skating stride.....had a lot of good to say about Armia but did mention his inconsistency....he'll probably see a couple of games with the big team before being sent down....probably one of the first call ups. Raved about Hellebuyck besides having a few hiccups early in the season. Said Poolman has gained size and looked more polished....would like to see him in a Jets' uni in 3 or so years. Stated that Kosmachuk had trouble until after Christmas. Harkins looked strong, Petan's accuracy of his shot and skill. Had kudos for Comrie, too.

Buff will be traded I'm sure. Ladd might be too if he don't sign soon. They both would get lots back. Imo Jets sign Ladd and trade buff a week later. B4 tge season starts even. If it means one step back this year to take 2 forward next so be it.

I think Ladd's contract is already in the can will be a nice way to start training camp with a signing. As for Buff the longer you wait the less you get not to mention he always gets little nagging injuries. He's good for the team and fans but the time has come for him to move on.

Buff will be traded I'm sure. Ladd might be too if he don't sign soon. They both would get lots back. Imo Jets sign Ladd and trade buff a week later. B4 tge season starts even. If it means one step back this year to take 2 forward next so be it.

I think Ladd's contract is already in the can will be a nice way to start training camp with a signing. As for Buff the longer you wait the less you get not to mention he always gets little nagging injuries. He's good for the team and fans but the time has come for him to move on.

That all depends what we get for him......he is in his prime or just starting the end of it so he would get a really nice return.  I wouldn't be letting him go for some of the foolish trades I have been hearing.....

The thing with Buff is, there is a gamble.  if you wait til the trade deadline, you have fewer teams involved but you probably get a stronger bidding war among those fewer teams.  So you have the potential for a good return.  But I'd rather trade him now.  Teams are more open to making salary cap adjustments though we're getting past that now. 

The biggest gambles with waiting is injury or if the Jets are on the bubble and Buff is playing really well.  The Jets would be inclined to keep him for a playoff run and lose him for nothing which would be a major fail.  Trade him now.

There is no way we trade him at the trade deadline if we are in a playoff hunt.  You either have to trade him now or early in the season where there are pieces that are at least some pieces coming back  that can help now. Similar to what we did with Kane, but those trades are much much harder to make during the season.  It was a unique situation last year with Buffalo tanking.

Here is an interesting article that ranks the top 5 free agent defensemen for 2016.  Byfuglien is ranked 3rd.  They give the chances of him hitting free agency 8 / 10.  This summer it was defensemen getting all the money in free agency.  Can't really see that changing next year.  Wonder what kind of talks Chevy has been having.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/08/20/top-free-agent-defensemen-in-2016-ranking-1-5/

3. Dustin Byfuglien – Winnipeg Jets

Left Defenseman – 30 years old – $5.2 million

Likelihood of free agency: 8/10

The Winnipeg Jets are faced with a difficult off-season in 2016. Captain Andrew Ladd, starter Ondrej Pavelec, and Byfuglien become free agents, while talented youngsters Mark Scheifele, Jacob Trouba, and Michael Hutchinson are all restricted free agents. Facing a (rumoured) internal budget, the Jets simply can’t afford to pay up for all of these key players. Now 30-years-old, and set to earn $6 million in real salary this season, Big Buff may price himself out of Winnipeg.

If Byfuglien is traded at the trade deadline and becomes a free agent next off-season, he won’t lack for suitors. At 6’5, 260 lbs., Byfuglien is the only player in the league who compares favourably with Zdeno Chara’s imposing frame and high level skill. Byfuglien’s game isn’t all about intimidation, though. He’s known as a good skater (for his size) with smart offensive instincts, an enormous shot, and the ability to soak up big minutes on the blue line. Consistency, discipline, and acceleration are his biggest drawbacks and, at 30-years-old, these shortcomings aren’t about to change.

Dashboard-1-54.jpg

Byfuglien isn’t a puck possession master. He’s a passable top-four option in terms of shot generation for his team and shot suppression versus opponents. But Byfuglien’s offensive production is elite – among the top handful of defensemen in the NHL. His booming shot generates scoring chances and Byfuglien is a top-tier difference-maker on offense. If Byfuglien is moved by the Jets to accommodate new contracts for their young core, expect Byfuglien to command in excess of $6 million per year for another club.

The only way hanging on to Buff and losing him to free agency is anything but a massive failure is if the Jets keep him and go deep into the playoffs and he's a major reason why.  And even then...the argument would be that what you get back could have helped you too. 

My worry is how long the Jets tried to keep Kane knowing for at least two years he didnt want to be here and at least some of the locker room didnt want him here.  And they only traded him when the players basically threw him out of the locker room and the player himself quit on the team during a playoff push.  If that hadnt happened, Kane might still be here.  I appreciate patience, but sign Ladd and trade Buff and be done with it.

And you're right about the unique situation with Kane.  Buffalo WANTED to trade for a great player who couldnt play the rest of the season.  It worked out great for them.  Trade two good pieces for futures helped Buffalo compete for number one in the draft.  had Kane been healthy, Im not sure Buffalo would have done the deal.

How much space does Boston have?  Some rumors that they are looking for D help and willing to give up forward talent.

There is no way we trade him at the trade deadline if we are in a playoff hunt.  You either have to trade him now or early in the season where there are pieces that are at least some pieces coming back  that can help now. Similar to what we did with Kane, but those trades are much much harder to make during the season.  It was a unique situation last year with Buffalo tanking.

Here is an interesting article that ranks the top 5 free agent defensemen for 2016.  Byfuglien is ranked 3rd.  They give the chances of him hitting free agency 8 / 10.  This summer it was defensemen getting all the money in free agency.  Can't really see that changing next year.  Wonder what kind of talks Chevy has been having.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/08/20/top-free-agent-defensemen-in-2016-ranking-1-5/

3. Dustin Byfuglien – Winnipeg Jets

Left Defenseman – 30 years old – $5.2 million

Likelihood of free agency: 8/10

The Winnipeg Jets are faced with a difficult off-season in 2016. Captain Andrew Ladd, starter Ondrej Pavelec, and Byfuglien become free agents, while talented youngsters Mark Scheifele, Jacob Trouba, and Michael Hutchinson are all restricted free agents. Facing a (rumoured) internal budget, the Jets simply can’t afford to pay up for all of these key players. Now 30-years-old, and set to earn $6 million in real salary this season, Big Buff may price himself out of Winnipeg.

If Byfuglien is traded at the trade deadline and becomes a free agent next off-season, he won’t lack for suitors. At 6’5, 260 lbs., Byfuglien is the only player in the league who compares favourably with Zdeno Chara’s imposing frame and high level skill. Byfuglien’s game isn’t all about intimidation, though. He’s known as a good skater (for his size) with smart offensive instincts, an enormous shot, and the ability to soak up big minutes on the blue line. Consistency, discipline, and acceleration are his biggest drawbacks and, at 30-years-old, these shortcomings aren’t about to change.

Dashboard-1-54.jpg

Byfuglien isn’t a puck possession master. He’s a passable top-four option in terms of shot generation for his team and shot suppression versus opponents. But Byfuglien’s offensive production is elite – among the top handful of defensemen in the NHL. His booming shot generates scoring chances and Byfuglien is a top-tier difference-maker on offense. If Byfuglien is moved by the Jets to accommodate new contracts for their young core, expect Byfuglien to command in excess of $6 million per year for another club.

I'm thinking Buff will get well over 7m per year as a free agent. Probably take at least 7m per for us to keep him.

Couple things about Buff... and Ladd for that matter...

The Salary Cap... how much will it go up? Will it go up? 

If they want to win now, who has the cap space to sign them as free agents to these 6 7 million dollar a year deals?

Honestly? Not many teams so the options are limited.. They could sign with bottom feeders for big money but the impression I get is they both (LADD at least) want to win now.. not in 5 years but now...

The real contenders, do they have the cap space to hand out 6 7 million dollar deals without crippling their team elsewhere? Not sure that's the case. 

Jets are 3rd lowest in cap.  So we're doing ok.  Cap will go up, even its its small increases. 

We have Scheif, Lowry and Trouba to sign next year.  Lowry wont hurt us and I think Scheif will be pretty easy too.  Unless he has a monster year, he's going to get a modest contract and it should be an easy negotiation.  Trouba will be the big question.  Does he sign a bridge deal or do the jets go all in on an eight year big dollar contract?

I cant see keeping both Ladd and Buff unless one takes significantly lower than fair market value.  Buff's personality would lend itself to the idea he'd take less if he was happy.  But at his age, he's nuts if he doesnt hustle for every cent he can get for as many years as he can get it.  This is likely his biggest money contract and last chance to cash in.

I'm not talking about the JETS cap tho, Personally i think BUFF is as good as traded any day now really... just a matter of time really..

I'm talking other teams, if these guys want to go cash in and win now, who can afford to pay them that big money? Not many teams.. Chicagos,LA,Anaheim type stuff.. not many of them out there with the cap space to sign guys to 7 million dollar a year deals.. Chicago maybe if KANE is convicted tho. 

If the Jets really want to trade Buff and a contending team is offering enough in return, the Jets could easily absorb a few million of his salary for this year to get the other team under the cup.  Buff's contract is up after this year so they only need to fit that under the cap next year.

It would be a team who thinks they are missing that one piece to make a push next year and not necessarily intent on re-signing Buff after next year.

That is why a trade like this isn't the easiest to make. Limited teams to make it with.