Next year's line up?

Ducky

I don't think they will make their decision based on if ehlers needs to go to the Q or not, They will make their decision on which guys are ready... maybe both Ehlers and Petan make the big club, maybe one does, maybe neither do... We will have to see but... I hope they aren't basing that decision on If Ehlers isn't on the JETs he needs to be in junior or europe. That's not good. I think one will make the team and it will be the one who is ready, regardless of his age or his junior eligibility or not. If Petan is better than Ehlers then he makes it and Ehlers goes to Europe or back to the Q. 

Some of my friends have went and have made a couple interesting comments, one being Petan definitely is the most NHL ready guy on the ice, They then say It's not Ehlers who is next, It's Brendan Lemieux, They say Ehlers has struggled a bit, probably hasn't skated in a while but... They all definitely say that Petan and Lemieux are the guys who are standing out big time. One even said, despite his size, Petan is a man amongst boys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ehlers is sent back to the Q or Europe for another year, Jets won't rush him if he's not ready. He's a good prospect but... Petan might be better. Ehlers gets all the hype but a few people have mentioned that he's put on some weight this off-season, he's apparently 14 pounds heavier than last year... It seems to be hurting his game on the ice a bit... It's like Morrissey last year, Lots of people thought he'd make it, he came in looking huge, looked pumped really but... put on the weight the wrong way and it messed with his game, From all accounts Morrissey has looked very good because he's dropped that weight he put on or did it a better pace this past season. We will see with Ehlers but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not on the Jets and Petan and Lemieux both are. 

Ehlers,Lemieux,Petan,Morrissey,Copp will probably all be on the roster this year one way or another.

If the Kids look like they are ready, you can always trade some guys to make room for them.

Do we need both thorburn and peluso? Lemieux could probably take their spot.

Ladd,Little,Stafford

Ehlers,Scheif,Wheeler

Perreault,Lowry,Petan

Lemieux,Copp,Burmistrov. 

Some might say thats too many rookies but...if the rookies are ready, you play them. 

New blood always generates excitement for fans as the future potential is unlimited, at least in the fans' minds. I remember how excited the fans were when an 18 year old Dale Hawerchuk showed up in 1981. I also remember how pumped everyone was when Selanne and Tkachuk showed up in the 1990's. Rookies mean hope. For the future.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/

His interview is here and so is some interesting insights and opinions on players by Keith McCambridge.

What he said in brief.

By his comments on Armia, he probably isn't ready yet. Too inconsistent. Big upside.

Kosmachuk took a while to learn the pro game but is coming around and had a good 2nd half.

Poolman (looks more like a pro) and Harkins look strong.

Petan, Lemieux, Petan, Comrie and Hellebuyck all looked good.

Is Morrissey at the camp?

Players at camp

Goalies

30 Connor Hellebuyck 22 5th round 2012

St John’s IceCaps (AHL)

35 James Kruger 23

free agent Dartmouth College (ECAC)

50 Jamie Phillips 22

7th round 2012 Michigan Tech (WCHA)

60 Eric Comrie 19

2nd round, 2013 Tri-City, (WHL)

Defencemen

36 Josh Morrissey 20

1st round, 2013 Kelowna (WHL)

53 Jan Kostalek 20

4th round, 2013 Rimouski (QMJHL)

54 Tucker Poolman 22

5th rd, 2013 North Dakota (NCAA)

62 Nelson Nogier 19

4th round, 2014 Saskatoon, Red Deer (WHL)

78 Craig Dalrymple 24

free agent Ohio State (NCAA)

81 Brennan Serville 22

3rd round, 2011 Michigan (NCAA)

83 Sami Niku 18

7th round, 2015 JYP-Akatemia (Finland)

88 Troy Stetcher 21

free agent North Dakota (NCAA)

90 Marcus Karlstrom 20

free agent Mora IK (Sweden)

92 Nolan Valleau 22

free agent Bowling Green (NCAA)

Forwards

38 Nic Petan 20

2nd round, 2013 Portland (WHL)

40 Joel Armia 22

1st round, 2011 Rochester, St. John’s (AHL)

41 Kyle Connor 18

1st round, 2015 Youngstown (USHL)

42 Nik Ehlers 19

1st round, 2014 Halifax (QMJHL)

45 Jimmy Lodge 20

3rd round, 2013 Mississauga (OHL)

48 Brendan Lemieux 19

2nd round, 2014 Barrie (OHL)

51 Andrew Copp 20

4th round, 2014 Michigan (NCAA)

52 Jack Roslovic 18

1st round, 2015 U.S. U-18

56 Jansen Harkins 18

2nd round, 2015 Prince George (WHL)

63 Erik Foley 18

3rd round, 2015 Cedar Rapids (USHL)

64 Nolan Laporte 23

free agent Western Michigan (NCAA)

65 Axel Blomqvist 20

signed free agent Moose Jaw (WHL)

68 Ryan Olsen 21

6th round, 2012 St. John’s (AHL)

72 Scott Kosmachuk 21

3rd round, 2012 St. John’s (AHL)

73 C.J. Franklin 21

5th round, 2014 Mankato (NCAA)

74 Matt Ustaski 21

7th round, 2014 Wisconsin (NCAA)

77 Chase De Leo 19

4th round, 2014 Portland (WHL)

80 Michael Spacek 18

4th round, 2015 Pardubice (Czech)

82 Mason Appleton 19

6th round, 2015 Tri-City (USHL)

87 Tanner Lane 22

6th round, 2010 Nebraska-Omaha (NCAA)

89 Matteao Gennaro 18

7th round, 2015 Prince Albert (WHL)

94 Brandon Denham 23

free agent Robert Morris (NCAA)

95 Landon Smith 21

free agent Quinnipiac (NCAA)

96 Daniel Leavens 22

free agent Robert Morris (NCAA)

97 Bradley Schierhorn 22 free agent

Dartmouth College (NCAA)

98 Tyler Morley 23

free agent Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA)

1st Line: Ladd - Little - Wheeler
2nd Line: Perreault - Scheifele - Stafford
3rd Line: Ehlers/Lemiex? - Lowry - Armia
4th Line: Petan - Burmi - Thorburn

extra: Hali, Peluso, J. C. Lipon, Copp

1st pairing: Enstrom - Myers
2nd pairing: Trouba - Buff
3rd pairing: Chiarot - Postma

extras: Stuart, Pardy, Harrison, Morrissey?

Goalies: Pavelec, Hutchinson, or Hellebuyck. The best should start.

The Big Show guys were talking about the issue of "skilled" forwards at traditionally "grinder" positions and the move towards smaller players with skill.  But to me, for Petan to play on the 4th line it would mean a complete change in how the 4th line is used and it's purpose.  If they play 5 minutes a game, is that enough for Petan to develop as opposed to playing 1st line minutes and conditions on the Moose?

I know people are saying Armia looked good at the development camp.  If anything we might have "too many" 3rd line guys.  Will Burmi or Armia drop to the 4th?  I have a hard time thinking Burmi will.  I think he'd excel in that role but wouldnt be enough minutes unless, like Buff playing forward, its augmented with special teams play.  I could see Armia maybe playing 4RW as he is big and uses his size in his playmaking.  But again, is 4th line better for the player than top six with the moose?

Could Lowry and Burmi switch places? 

Its going to be interesting.

I don't think Petan will stick with the club if he is put on the 4th line.  He will be better served getting top line minutes with the Moose.

However, the only way I could see it happening, is if Maurice goes with a big change in how the 4th line is used.  No doubt that the Jets early playoff exit was in part to injury and the amount of minutes the top line guys logged.  It was often a story about how little the Jets 4th line is used when compared to some of the other teams with better depth like St Louis.

I wonder if they put more skilled guys down there, if they don't get more playing time.   A possibility, but I find it an unlikely scenario.

I wouldn't mind seeing Armia, Petan, Morrissey and De Leo all called up during the season to see what they can do.  Lemieux is still eligible for another year of junior no?  Same with Ehlers?

I thought Lemieux was done but I could be wrong.  Anyways according to reports from development camp he looks like one of our most "ready" prospects.