Jets @ Ducks - Jan 11 @ 8:00, pre-game ceremony 7:00

Jacquie

First, thanks to the Ducks for having the ceremony when the Jets were there. Second, really classy of True North for going with the retro Selanne jerseys in the warm-up. Third, having the empty chair for Don Baizley was a classy thing to do.

One of the many reasons why we love Teemu:

@NHLJets: "Two things come from Winnipeg: Hockey and great people. The way the fans treated me, there are no words." - Selanne. #For8verTeemu

It was pretty emotional watching that wonderful tribute to Selanne. Thumbs up to the Ducks for doing it right & including the Jets in the ceremony. And man, those retro jerseys looked beautiful. That was a nice touch by Jets ownership. What a classy guy Teemu is & always was. It sure would be nice to retire #13 at the MTS Centre.  

Great game by pavs. Win this one in SO boys!

Great game by pavs?   I thought he made some really good saves but those last two goals and the shoot outs he was absolute garbage.   Thought he was out of place quite a bit and giving up a tonne of unnecessary rebounds. 

Overall.....

Kane loves to take horrible penalties....

Enstrom is terrified to shoot the puck....

Byfuglien truly the MVP this season....

Thorburn is essentially a pylon on the ice...

Jets got cute late in the 3rd and they lost the game because of it...

Thought the refs were a bit iffy on the icing calls and I think it's a bit unfair that apparently Anaheim are about to play 30 of their next 31 games in California? Seems kind of cheap that they don't have to travel while the rest of the league does....

I think it's a bit unfair that apparently Anaheim are about to play 30 of their next 31 games in California? Seems kind of cheap that they don't have to travel while the rest of the league does....

What?

When did they move Vancouver, Nashville, Washington, Tampa Bay, Raleigh and Florida, etc. to California?

I guess you meant 7 of their next 8 games in California.

I didn't get to watch the entire game but from what I saw pavs was great. I think it was the third goal that was weak. Buff huge gaffe on the 4th. Pavs stoned guys repeatedly. Shoot out? Meh.

Can't be giving up leads.

The team was out of gas in the 3rd period....     it's also crazy that this team can't score when we have a 5 on 3.... had a golden chance yet couldn't pull the trigger.

That give-away by Buff was brutal. Damn.

The root of that play was Perreault's bad decision to pass the puck back into our end 25 seconds prior, rather than push it forward.  I cringed when I saw him do that.  Anaheim had just changed and had 2 guys already pushing hard on the forecheck.  Retaining possession is great when you're carrying the play, not when you're totally under seige.  The guys played hot potato with the puck as the Ducks swarmed them, made 3 more passes under heavy duress deep in our end, and almost got it over the blue line before it came back in again, got the puck back again only to finally give it away.  25 seconds prior Perreault had the puck 10 feet from our blue line with one guy coming towards him and decided to not chip it off the boards.  We never had a chance as good as that one to clear our zone in the 25 seconds that followed.  That tiny amount of pressure was the least any Jet had in their face for the rest of that shift.  Sometimes "make the puck go that way" should be the only thought that matters.

Honestly prior to this 3 game trip i thought to myself, Arizona? that's an easy 2 points so we should get 2 points at least and i'd consider that somewhat of a good trip. We absolutely got dominated tho by Arizona and after that i thought, oh crap, here comes the losing streak. Beat LA in LA? you kidding? awesome. Can't believe it. Big win too since we were tied with them in the wildcard standings. Thought if we could get a point from the ducks, unlikely as the ducks are one of the best teams in the league and you know they were gonna be fired up with the Teemu Jersey retiring, it's a great trip. 3 out of 4 points in a back to back is fantastic especially against LA and Anaheim. The Arizona loss really hurt them, should have dominated that game and got 5 of 6. 

All in all tho, i'd say it was a good road trip. Tough road trip but a good one. Jets tho are a marked team in terms of the penalties they take, they get called for some the other team gets away with. Refs are watching the Jets like hawks for sure, Jets need to be aware of this. I'd bench slater now, The guy seems to be a bit of a liability on the PK, the last 2 games he took 2 penalties that directly lead to a 5 on 3 for the other team and the other team capitalized on those power plays. Slater needs a talking too or to be taken off the PK for a while.

Thought PAV made several huge saves, pretty spectacular ones at that, People can say what they want but Ducks had 43 shots on goal and several were pretty point blank chances. Pav played very well. Shoot-out sucked tho. Not blaming the goalie here at all, Wheeler scored on the first attempt,Ducks didn't. Chance to go up 2 and dagger the ducks in the shootout and we can't, ducks come back and can't score on PAV, last shooter can end it with a goal, he doesn't. Ducks come back and score. We had 2 chances there in the shootout to end them, 3 actually but just couldn't do it. Needed a goal but just couldn't get it. 

I love Buff and he's a beast but what you saw last night was good buff and bad buff, definitely cost us a goal there. But all in all, he was a beast and played well.  Honestly, if someone told me we'd get 3 of 6 points prior to the road trip and those 3 points would be from the California portion, i would have said, no way in hell. 

Honestly prior to this 3 game trip i thought to myself, Arizona? that's an easy 2 points so we should get 2 points at least and i'd consider that somewhat of a good trip. We absolutely got dominated tho by Arizona and after that i thought, oh crap, here comes the losing streak. Beat LA in LA? you kidding? awesome. Can't believe it. Big win too since we were tied with them in the wildcard standings. Thought if we could get a point from the ducks, unlikely as the ducks are one of the best teams in the league and you know they were gonna be fired up with the Teemu Jersey retiring, it's a great trip. 3 out of 4 points in a back to back is fantastic especially against LA and Anaheim. The Arizona loss really hurt them, should have dominated that game and got 5 of 6. 

All in all tho, i'd say it was a good road trip. Tough road trip but a good one. Jets tho are a marked team in terms of the penalties they take, they get called for some the other team gets away with. Refs are watching the Jets like hawks for sure, Jets need to be aware of this. I'd bench slater now, The guy seems to be a bit of a liability on the PK, the last 2 games he took 2 penalties that directly lead to a 5 on 3 for the other team and the other team capitalized on those power plays. Slater needs a talking too or to be taken off the PK for a while.

Thought PAV made several huge saves, pretty spectacular ones at that, People can say what they want but Ducks had 43 shots on goal and several were pretty point blank chances. Pav played very well. Shoot-out sucked tho. Not blaming the goalie here at all, Wheeler scored on the first attempt,Ducks didn't. Chance to go up 2 and dagger the ducks in the shootout and we can't, ducks come back and can't score on PAV, last shooter can end it with a goal, he doesn't. Ducks come back and score. We had 2 chances there in the shootout to end them, 3 actually but just couldn't do it. Needed a goal but just couldn't get it. 

I love Buff and he's a beast but what you saw last night was good buff and bad buff, definitely cost us a goal there. But all in all, he was a beast and played well.  Honestly, if someone told me we'd get 3 of 6 points prior to the road trip and those 3 points would be from the California portion, i would have said, no way in hell. 

I'm curious to know why? Just because we're the most penalized team in the league to date doesn't mean we then need to be more scrutinized in our play than other teams.

IMO each game played should be reffed on a clean slate should it not? I do know they're human beings but the more professional they are the better they can control their biases in how they call the game. I'm assuming the refs are taking this approach, i.e., doesn't matter who the teams are, they will be assessed equally. Any refs out there to help me out in testing my assumption.

If it is indeed the case that we are being watched more closely/given less benefit of the doubt than our opponent (which is very hard to prove), then it becomes an issue a lack of objectivity of the part of the referees, no?   

I'm curious to know why? Just because we're the most penalized team in the league to date doesn't mean we then need to be more scrutinized in our play than other teams.

IMO each game played should be reffed on a clean slate should it not? I do know they're human beings but the more professional they are the better they can control their biases in how they call the game. I'm assuming the refs are taking this approach, i.e., doesn't matter who the teams are, they will be assessed equally. Any refs out there to help me out in testing my assumption.

If it is indeed the case that we are being watched more closely/given less benefit of the doubt than our opponent (which is very hard to prove), then it becomes an issue a lack of objectivity of the part of the referees, no?   

Oh it's just my opinion and Blake Wheelers for that matter who after the Arizona game came out and said they were a "marked team". Do i think it's the case? Sometimes i wonder for sure, Sometimes when watching I see the Jets get called for a penalty and i think, that was iffy but whatever, as long as the refs call it for the other team, it's all good. Then the other team does the same thing and it doesn't get called and it makes me wonder a bit more. There is no way to prove it, but the eye test watching the games at times certainly does make me at least wonder if there is some truth to the fact that the Jets are indeed being watched a little more closely than the other team. Not sure if it's true or not, just my opinion and like i said, Blake Wheelers also but... who really knows. If it is true, that's a problem. I hope it's not true but... at times i do wonder about it. 

No way to prove it one way or the other, just like i said, watching the game, Jets get called on an iffy call, other team does the same and doesn't. Makes you wonder at times for sure. Regardless tho, the Jets need to take less penalties and actually capitalize on their chances when they do get the power play opportunity. Jets went like 1 for 16 on the PP these last 3 games, the other teams went 7 for 16 or something. Just looking at the numbers, does seem to actually be called pretty even but... at times, definitely makes me wonder about some calls or non calls.