Edmonton/Pittsburgh Trade

Perron for Klinghammer and a 2015 first round

Good for both teams I suppose but Im surprised the Pens would part with a first rounder in a very deep draft. But Perron will fill a top six depth role for them.

Edmonton gets another draft pick (not that it matters). A decent depth centre and probably more importantly they lose some veteran offense which should help keep them at the bottom of the league.

Klinkhammer isn't a centre and he's not very good, but he's at least a capable 4th liner on a good team. He'll certainly have a regular spot with the Oilers. He's a pending UFA.

Perron is actually younger than him, and has another year left with a reasonable cap hit. His offense should go through the roof now that he'll be playing with stars. Look at what moving to the Pens did for Hornqvist. I like this trade for the Pens. The 1st rounder they gave up will likely be in the 25-30 range. More than reasonable for a 26 year old who should put up 60-70 points in a full season with them.

Good move for the Oilers. Perron was a negative voice, so good to part with him, and pick up another 1st rounder that can likely be packaged with something else to either move up higher than the Pitt pick, or grab a more vital cog (quality D)...

Just saying but buffalo was saying all along that they wanted Reihnart and not Ekblad so even if Buffalo did get the 1st pick, they would have got they guy they took at 2. 

And Besides when you look at this years draft, you can't really go wrong with any of the top 3,

If The Oilers win the lottery, hope they don't but if they do, i could see them trading that pick cuz how is another small forward going to help them?

The Oilers if lucky will get the 3rd overall pick and get the guy they really need in Hanifin, Oiler  fans can tell you whatever they want but their biggest issue is they lack D, people talk about Nurse but he's just a prospect, he may be a bust, Hanifin might be too but in the long run, for the Oilers and their needs, Hanifin might actually be the better choice. 

If The Oilers win the lottery, hope they don't but if they do, i could see them trading that pick cuz how is another small forward going to help them?

The Oilers if lucky will get the 3rd overall pick and get the guy they really need in Hanifin, Oiler  fans can tell you whatever they want but their biggest issue is they lack D, people talk about Nurse but he's just a prospect, he may be a bust, Hanifin might be too but in the long run, for the Oilers and their needs, Hanifin might actually be the better choice. 

Serious question...are you drunk right now?

First, neither McDavid nor Eichel is small. They're both already 190+ pounds and over 6' as 17 year kids.

Second, being very good hockey players is how they'd help.

Who cares about the Oilers? Just look at the player the Jets drafted & playing at the WJC! And the Jets did that without drafting 1st or second every year. 

If the Jets drafted first or second every year they would have less players playing in the WJC because those players would be in the NHL. 

Bogo for eberle. Do it.

I was thinking about this too as we discussed the D in the other thread.

I doubt there is any change this season but in the off-season maybe.

If Buff plays D moving forward, and lets be clear - the way he played D this season its a no-brainer he stays there, then you have:

Buff

Bogo

Enstrom

Trouba

As your top four D.  You have Chiarot, Stuart, Harrison, Clitty, Postma and Morrissey (next season) all under contract next year.  Im too lazy to do comparables but do most NHL teams allocate that much money to their top four D, taking into account a new contract for Buff and Trouba?

Thats also three RHD in the top four.

Chiarot cant be sent down due to waivers.  So he's staying.  For the bulk of the season they can manage it by waiving Pardy and figuring out something with Harrison, Clitty, Postma.  They might try to trade or waive Harrison and send him down too.

Assuming your top six next season is:

Buff

Bogo

Trouba

Enstrom

Stuart

Chiarot

Thats a great top six.  But there is room to move one of them for forward help.  Makes sense to move a RHD and makes sense to move someone that will get you something in return.  Hence, Bogo.

I don't like trading a 24 25 year old on a good contract, it doesn't make sense, it's just not what the Jets will do i don't think. I see them possibly moving a lesser d man, maybe postma for a lesser top 9 forward, postma might get you something ok, postma and a pick (not 1st or 2nd) or maybe postma plus a prospect not named petan ehlers or morrissey.

I don't see the Jets moving out one of the guys they are building around for a winger when in a year, maybe next year, they will need spots for a couple of the youngsters i mentioned.

Toby might make sense to move but he has a no trade or no movement clause so he'd have to agree to it and i doubt any player with a no movement clause would agree to be traded to Edmonton at the moment. 

Doubt Bogo goes anywhere. Toby and buff both older. Team building through younger guys. Toby or buff go b4 Bogo.

Anyone who thinks they trade a 24 25 year old d man hasn't been paying attention closely enough. Oh and Edmonton would probably have to add to get a number 1 d man. Eberle plus. Altho not sure exactly of the fascination with Eberle. The jets win by being good defensively. Eberle doesn't help that.

Doubt Bogo goes anywhere. Toby and buff both older. Team building through younger guys. Toby or buff go b4 Bogo.

Anyone who thinks they trade a 24 25 year old d man hasn't been paying attention closely enough. Oh and Edmonton would probably have to add to get a number 1 d man. Eberle plus. Altho not sure exactly of the fascination with Eberle. The jets win by being good defensively. Eberle doesn't help that.

Its not like Enstrom and Buff are on the downside of their career.  Bogo is easier to trade than Enstrom and gets you a bigger return.  Enstrom is the more consistent D man right now but doesnt get the same love as Bogo.  Enstrom also serves a stronger need for the Jets right now than Bogo does.

All things being equal, sure, keep him.  But when Buff talks contract next season, he will want to be play D and will be a top gour RHD.  So which of Bogo or Trouba will be 5-6?